for those of you who burn calories like crazy...

Options
124»

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am so freaking confused. MFP says I should be eating 1800 calories to lose 2 pounds a week (I need to lose 150 pounds) and then when I used this calculator you posted, it says I should be eating over 2.300 calories for EXTREME fat loss. WTF?!?!?! I thought 1.800 was high. I'm about to scream.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

this website says I should eat a total of 1462-1949 calories a day total to lose weight.
    i've been eatin around 1600 total, so i think im goood

um. idk maybe since you have a lot more to lose the websites treat it differently. you could probably lose weight eating 2300 calories a day, but you could also lose weight eating whatever MFP gave you. Stick inbetween the two.
  • ketojeanna
    ketojeanna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I talked to a trainer today at the gym and she said I shouldn' t be very much over 1,200. So I went and changed it to 1,500 and I was ease into 1,200. I thought all along 1,800 was a lot. I hope I find my groove soon. I'm ready to lose this!!!!!!!
    I am so freaking confused. MFP says I should be eating 1800 calories to lose 2 pounds a week (I need to lose 150 pounds) and then when I used this calculator you posted, it says I should be eating over 2.300 calories for EXTREME fat loss. WTF?!?!?! I thought 1.800 was high. I'm about to scream.

this website says I should eat a total of 1462-1949 calories a day total to lose weight.

um. idk maybe since you have a lot more to lose the websites treat it differently. you could probably lose weight eating 2300 calories a day, but you could also lose weight eating whatever MFP gave you. Stick inbetween the two.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine back normally. Calories in and calories out. Whats the point of burning 800 calories if your just going to eat them all back. That completely defeats the purpose.

Exercise has other health benefits and will boost you metabolism which in turn helps burn more fat. If you lose weight and exercise you will be in far better health than if you lose weight and don't exercise. Also, if you regularly burn 800 calories and don't eat most of it back you are likely to go into "starvation mode". Like it or not, that's the way it is.

what is this starvation mode? i'm confused. I have been losing weight by doing this so i just dont know. I get hungry a lot, but i'm not sure if I should really be eating 2000 calories a day to lose weight.. it just makes no sense to me =[

Thats exactly what im saying :) I have lost 43 pounds doing this every day. I may eat 1300 or 1400 calories a day if I feel like treating myself, but I don't normally eat back my exercise calories. Thats like saying im going to burn 800 calories so I can go eat a doughnut. Eating back exercise calories may work for some people, but eating 2000 calories a day for me just doesn't work. If what your doing is working, keep at it girl :)

I agree with you, girl. I don't normally eat my exercise calories back either and before I wanted to really "loose" weight, I maintained the same weight for many years. I think everyone's body is different and what works for some people, won't necessarily work for others.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If its an intense dance/workout day..like today I burned 1200cals I will net 100-200 max (today my net is at 7. yikes). That being said I eat at least 1200cals/day and if its a major burn day (like today) I'll let myself eat up to 1500 if I want to.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 7" and weigh 128 lbs in maintenance... have been since April. On days I burn 800+ calories I consume 2600+ calories. My body thanks me for it.

Therefore, I net 1810 calories.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Not enough, girlfriend.

I push to net 1310 every day, and IT WORKS. Today was an exception just because it was a huge workout day (over 1200 cals burned ), but unfortunately I am coming down with something and felt too sick to eat tonight.

I am so sorry to see so many people confused by this issue.

Here is a nice explanation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Really, if you expect to get to goal and maintain, you gotta fuel your body.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine back normally. Calories in and calories out. Whats the point of burning 800 calories if your just going to eat them all back. That completely defeats the purpose.

Here is the purpose:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    For those that could never "eat back" what they burn through exercise then you can pre-eat the calories instead. I find it easier to plan the night before or in the morning for the day ahead. I know what my breakfast, lunch ands snacks will be for the day and I know about how many calories I'm likely to burn exercising in the afternoon. This allows me to plan in my exercise calories throughout the day then eat a reasonable dinner. If I didn't per-eat a lot of the calories I would not be able to "eat back" my exercise calories.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I net about 1000 on exercise days, 1100-1200 on non exercise days. Yes yes starvation mode blah blah, but I am not in starvation mode, I have a steady loss of 0.5-2lbs each week. When this stops working for me I will increase calories but until then I'll stick with what works for me.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I talked to a trainer today at the gym and she said I shouldn' t be very much over 1,200. So I went and changed it to 1,500 and I was ease into 1,200. I thought all along 1,800 was a lot. I hope I find my groove soon. I'm ready to lose this!!!!!!!

I would start at the 1800 MFP gives you. Don't forget that as you lose weight it will reduce your calories as you go. ease yourself into eating less.

As for answering her question. I have had days where I burn a lot of calories but that is not the norm. I think you need to do what works for you. IMHO I think you should eat more dense snacks, like almonds and you could add advocados or switch to full fat versions of the food you are eating. You may not be noticing side effects yet from netting 500 calories, but you might notice more energy and stamina if you had more calories to work off of.

Best wishes to everyone, I know this is a heated topic,
    "to eat or not to eat exercise calories" Everyone is different and has different opions. For every study that says too eat them there are matching ones that say not to. I think people just need to use logic and common sense and do what works for them, but leave the door open, so if it stops working you can make necessary changes.

• Lillyzar
    Lillyzar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For those that don't eat exercise calories, if you burn 1200 calories and only eat 1200 calories what are you feeding your brain and vital organs?! You body requires food in order to function. Isn't it better to loose weight slowly and not damage your health doing it?! We are all here to loose weight but do it the right way, who wants to be thin with and ill? Personally I would choose the healthy way! A long and healthy life for me please :D

I wish you all luck!!