Options
It's not diet or exercise this time, this is what I do more often these days
⬇️ lower your stress level
⬆️ increase your sleep

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Reducing stress and improving sleep quality is good for your health, in fact it's important if you're lacking on either, but there isn't anything special about the fat on your belly, and losing fat comes from a sustained calorie deficit. No need to complicate simple things.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Can you explain in specific terms, with resources to back up you points, how "belly fat" is specifically targeted?

How does this fat loss differ from the fat located on your arms or legs?

I'd love to see, as targeted fat loss flies on the face of current human physiological understanding.
  • LeanLeme
    LeanLeme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Notice I said 2 strategy, there's a lot more ways to lose belly fat so please claim down. A lot of us here at MFP know about calorie deficit but many people stuck and stop seeing improvement because of the two things I state above.
    Belly fat is not a weight problem it's a harmony problem, "high cortisol" problem
    Diet don't lower cortisol it lower calories
    The only way to lower cortisol is by lower your stress level
  • LeanLeme
    LeanLeme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hormone Problem
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Simply not correct
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Reducing stress and improving sleep quality is good for your health, in fact it's important if you're lacking on either, but there isn't anything special about the fat on your belly, and losing fat comes from a sustained calorie deficit. No need to complicate simple things.

This.

Spot reduction is simply not a thing. Adequate sleep and lower stress are good for health, but weight loss occurs from a calorie deficit.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can haz all the donuts?

RETWEET
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If you know what Cushing's syndrome is without hitting up Google, you have the right to talk about glucocorticoids (like cortisol), otherwise you shouldn't be using the word as magic to claim it will negate the fact that fat stores won't mobilize in a surplus.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Since everything tends to be a chemical reaction in the body, I'll agree to a point. Lowering stress can also be done by increasing stress, such as in exercise. Cortisol isn't bad since it's raised during times of exercise. Like anything else though, over abundance of it isn't optimal to health.
    I will agree on sleep though. Many don't get enough and also don't realize that the body burns the most fat at rest and sleep than any other time of the day.
    Of course you have to couple these along with a good nutrition plan to support it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    drrae65 wrote: »
    Thorsmom01 and cityruss, you're being completely rude. You're all acting like he's trying to sell a pill or something - he's actually giving really good advice that's often overlooked in the weight loss community. Asking for scientific evidence? This is a message board on a social media platform not a search engine for empirical research. Yes, we all know you can't spot reduce but maybe for someone who is having a hard time losing those last few pounds in the stomach area this information will benefit them. I just don't understand why you're all so offended and feel the need to chew him out for giving advice that is actually really beneficial for weight loss. Here's your scientific evidence that you so desperately need, although I'm not sure if you'll be able to access it unless you have permission to access the database (which I do have because my college enrollment gives me access). All of the articles were peer reviewed and discuss how obesity is associated with higher levels of sleep problems (such as sleep apnea and sleep wake disorder) and some interesting articles mentioned the hormones ghrelin (the hunger hormone) and leptin (the satiety hormone) in which findings suggest that sleep deprivation is associated with higher levels of ghrelin and sleep has been found to alter the leptin profile.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217002/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.libproxy.boisestate.edu/doi/10.1196/annals.1417.033/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.libproxy.boisestate.edu/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00776.x/full

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.libproxy.boisestate.edu/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2826.2003.01069.x/abstract

You're all so quick to chew him out and ask for his evidence, but maybe you would learn a few things by doing your OWN research. I think you're all worked up because he made it sound like you can spot reduce but instead of being rude why don't you try sharing some great evidence of your own so that we all learn WHY spot reduction isn't possible? Then you'd at least be helping someone, which is what these boards are for.

Your first link has nothing to do with fat distribution.
    Your other links are behind the boise state edu firewall.

Mentioning random hormones does not mean that sleep will improve hormonally mediated distribution. In reality, that distribution remains secondary to total calorie availability and primary sexual hormones like oestrogen and testosterone.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/suppl_1/21.full.pdf

The OP is wrong. Diet first, then ALSO sleep, stress and exercise as factors that impact distribution.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Also, if adequate sleep and low stress is what it takes, why was Buddha fat? Every statue I've seen of him seems pretty chill.

That's Budai.

Buddha_Beipu.jpg

He must not be napping well.

Buddha clearly gets lots of sleep:

buddha-03.jpg