Zumba lovers

2»

Replies

• I asked my Zumba instructor about how many calories you burn. She said around 800. So, I put it in myself.
  • scotslover
    scotslover Posts: 7 Member
    Oh my goodness!! I am so envious of all of you who are able to DO zumba. I watched some of it on youtube and KNEW I couldn't hack that!! Even if I were IN the WAY BACK, I would probably knock ALL of you pretty ladies down like bowling pins with my lack of coordination. LOL It sounds like fun for you, though. Such great calorie burns, apparently.

Oh!! Please try it anyway!! Who cares that you're way in the back!! Who cares that you feel a bit foolish and you think everybody is watching you! (they're not, btw) The ONLY thing that matters is that you're GOING to the class!! YAY!!

If they have a ZumbaGold class available, try that. It's a lower impact class that introduces songs/routines/dance moves in a less intense way. Then, the second you become comfortable in that class, step up to the regular class.

You won't regret the decision to lose your self in the dance!! JUST DO IT!! ;)
  • I do Zumba 3 times a week and have done for nearly a year now! Best thing i have ever done and it DOES GET EASIER!! I used to be so fit a few years ago and i joined this and my first time i was exhausted but the more you do it the fitter you get and you begin to see a big change in your fitness overall....plus you will start getting fitter and toned and keep the weight off!
    I am now training to be a Zumba Instructor myself, best thing i have ever done, the weight stays off and you definately feel like you have done a great work out! Stuff the gym!!
  • scotslover
    scotslover Posts: 7 Member
    I asked my Zumba instructor about how many calories you burn. She said around 800. So, I put it in myself.

Every person/body-type burns differently. A heavy person is going to burn more calories than a leaner person. I love the site I got earlier: www.zumbacalories.com. It gives you an opportunity to pick your intensity AND put in your weight. Your numbers just might be different than the pat 800 calories. I'd hate for you to sell yourself short!
  • jjl080809
    jjl080809 Posts: 23
    I completely agree -I love zumba! I used a comparable of aerobics until I got a HRM and it was pretty close.
  • star1783
    star1783 Posts: 13 Member
    I love my Zumba!!! :) Wen't last night, and haven't gone for a few weeks. Few kicked my butt it did! For me it's not the calorie burn I need to watch...it's the intake! I need to start holding myself more accountably for what I'm doing! How often does everyone go to Zumba?
  • Walorie
    Walorie Posts: 44
    I just did my first zumba class and it wasn't pretty...but I am going back...I logged it under DANCING, AEROBIC, BALLET OR MODERN TWIST! may not be exact...but at least its there!
  • Walorie
    Walorie Posts: 44
    sorry...and that is under cardio :blushing:
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    I wear my HRM to track mine. I LOVE Zumba too! I can't believe I waited so long to try it. Keep shaking your booty and having fun! LOL
  • meganyor
    meganyor Posts: 4
    Wow good job! 143 lbs! My husband started that program and after 30 days burned out. I would love to do it too but need to get some weight off first. Don't want to kill myself lol!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,249 Member
    I attend Zumba on Saturdays which I LOVE..and I use my Polar FT7 to count the calories for my body...Everyone body type is different so there is no way you set your calorie burn by others...Before I got my Awesome HRM...i use to estimate based on how I felt my heart rate and add it manuelly..Luckily I was short changing myself I found once I got my FT7...Great investment...
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    I'm aLOVER of Zumba. I would Zumba every day of there were classes to support it. I am at a loss as to why I cannot choose Zumba as a form of exercise here on MFP.

For you Zumba lovers, what kind of exercise do you choose??

I have a heart rate monitor so I just added my own exercise. I honestly cannot even find anything to come close to what I burn during the class either. In an average 60 minute class I am buring almost 700 calories.
    I think the reason it is not there is that you can truly make Zumba what you want. It really depends on the instructor and how intense they are as well. But if you keep your arms raised more, your heartrate stays higher so you burn more calories. If you are more dynamic in your movements you will burn more then if you just keep the intensity lower (say stepping from side to side instead of jumping, etc).
    So that is my belief as to why Zumba is not a catagory, there is just such a broad range of what you will burn during a class.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I did the research online to find out how much I personally burn. Then I added it to my list of exercises on here that way I can just add it easy each time. That way I'm not logging it as something it's not! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!