How many women actually workout with weights

Options
Loco_Beast
Loco_Beast Posts: 35 Member
Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

Replies

• Loco_Beast
    Options
    That's great dutchandkiwi, keep it up. There aren't that many females that do a lot of heavy weights that I know of (powerlifting). Most do a moderate weight, with higher reps. (10-15) Keep moving forward and let us know how you're progressing.
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started with weights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I work out with weights 5 days a week. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I would get bulky. Actually the opposite, we just don't gain mass like men!
  • Loco_Beast
    Options
    I am just getting started with weights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a personal trainer, but my advice would to be start slow and work your way up, it's a marathon not a sprint. But also don't get comfortable, constantly push yourself. Good luck and keep us posted. Also if you have a specific question, fire away. If I can't answer it I'm sure there is someone on here who will have an answer.
  • Loco_Beast
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I work out with weights 5 days a week. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I would get bulky. Actually the opposite.

That's great, maybe you could advise some of the women with questions. I think some women see the Pro female bodybuilders (meaning the ones who do look manly or bulky), and think that is possible, not knowing what those women do to get where they are.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. Just switching from a 3x a week full body intermediate program to a 5 day a week UL split intermediate program. I'm not bulky ;)
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Erm yes, with power lifting dreams !!

I don't know if it is lack of information or just fear that stops some people but absolutely love heavy lifting. But I wouldn't go ask some guy who was in the middle of a workout for advice , I work with my trainer then get on with me own thing. Also I text between my sets but hey 180 secs is a long time
  • cafisher0404
    cafisher0404 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I want to start! It's intimidating for someone new (at least to me personally). My gym keeps all their free weights under an "advanced training" area, so for a newbie, it is very scary to walk over there any try (the machine weights are what I have been doing so far). I also constantly worry that I'm going to get my form wrong or mess up in some way. I'm trying to get over that fear and just do it.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about lifting try to get a copy of Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove's New Rules of lifting for women. I walked around with it for 18 months before I gathered up the courage to pick up something other than Barbie weights at the gym but I am so glad I did. They have newer programs but the information section in the book is invaluable if you have never lifted heavy and are considering it.

BTW I completed NROL4W 3 years ago at 43. I am now doing their newer STRONG program and love it!
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I do under duress but I'm honestly not a massive fan. I personally feel like it highlights how bloody feeble I am and I never know if my form is right!
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i'd love to start lifting properly but too embarrassed to go to the gym :blush: