Keto or not to Keto...

Options
I started a Keto diet a couple weeks ago and am having some success. I would love to hear from others that are currently in a low carb lifestyle. What has been the hardest parts of your diet and what has been the most enjoyable parts of the experience?

Replies

• 502Monica
    502Monica Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for about a month or so and didn't enjoy it. I don't like limiting myself to not eating certain foods. I would rather enjoy everything I want, just in a smaller portion.

I feel like many have success with keto but I'm not sure it's a very sustainable lifestyle and I see many people who end up gaining the weight back.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I did Keto about 15 years ago and lost a bunch of weight. Problem was, it did not teach me anything and was not sustainable for me, so I gained all the weight back, and with a vengeance. I have since learned about the fundamentals of diet/nutrition and understand about calorie balance now, so weight is back down, body composition is much better, and feel overall health is improved and can easily be maintained for life.
  • kittn_mittns
    kittn_mittns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was to get used to doing the complete opposite of other diets I've tried. I've lost more weight doing Keto than I have on any other diet. I do miss bread and pasta but I've found some really great alternatives and the community is very supportive :)
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Best part: i rarely go over my calories, even if i'm trying
    Worse part: low carb..
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    best part, I can go out to eat and socialize without being a pain in the #*$&#*Y at a restaurant
  • vickikwhisler
    vickikwhisler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of Keto. I've done two Whole 30s and ate Paleo for a while, but for the last 6 months or so I have been out of control. I need something strict to get me back on the weight loss wagon. This morning I weighed the heaviest I have ever been, so it is time to try SOMETHING! I am a member of a few Keto/Low Carb groups on FB, and I have a lot of information. I just have to stay the path this time.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly Keto since the beginning of February.

The hardest part of the diet for me is going to ice cream places with my family, because there are no real options there (but there are low-carb ice cream recipes). I've cheated here and there, but I've been able to get right back on it.

The best part is that I actually enjoy eating this way. The longer you're on it, the more you develop a taste for fat. I find myself to be mostly free of cravings for starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. I don't avoid veggies, in fact veggie consumption has increased for me on this diet. I don't feel like I am depriving myself, like the way I did when I moderated everything.

As with all things, different people will have different experiences. I wish you well.

PS
    If you haven't already, look into the Low Carb Daily Group. There are a lot of smart, experienced and supportive people in there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I switch in between a calorie deficit and a keto diet with a deficit
    at the moment I have being on keto for 2 and a half weeks
    from my experience from previous keto diets..
    1 don't count the first 2 weeks because most of it will be water
    into the 3rd and 4th week I usually lose more weight than I would on a normal diet with the same deficit
    watch out for the constipation as well ..

30 grams was tough but it seems I do better with 50 grams of carbs .. allows me to get in a pre work out and some almonds which are high in fibre

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of Keto. I've done two Whole 30s and ate Paleo for a while, but for the last 6 months or so I have been out of control. I need something strict to get me back on the weight loss wagon. This morning I weighed the heaviest I have ever been, so it is time to try SOMETHING! I am a member of a few Keto/Low Carb groups on FB, and I have a lot of information. I just have to stay the path this time.

It sounds like a strict diet that restricts food might be a bad choice for you. You have tried restrictive diets in the past and haven't been able to stick to them - why do you think it will work this time? You can lose weight without cutting huge groups of foods from your diet.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've been on Keto for about 8 months, it's hard and my version leaves out food that I consider healthy. If I only wanted to lose weight - I would not stay on Keto. However I have many other benefits, health, improved brain function, faster thought processes, no IBD, no acid reflux. Blood levels totally normal and I get to eat lots of cheese.

I have lost a lot of weight, but I think I could have done that several other ways.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I feel happy when I read that people have found a woe where they can be content and consistant. :) congrats all!
  • fhzwart
    fhzwart Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I completely understand how it feels when you just get started. It took me several days to get past the cravings for carbs and sugary snacks. One thing that helped me and fueled me from day one is a supplement that I take that puts me in ketosis in about an hour. Normally it takes several days for our body to reach that state. It fuels your body and also is great for people who workout or are busy as it provides me with plenty of energy. Best of luck to you! I would love to know the name of some of the support groups you are a member of. Go Keto!
  • fhzwart
    fhzwart Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I have been mostly Keto since the beginning of February.

The hardest part of the diet for me is going to ice cream places with my family, because there are no real options there (but there are low-carb ice cream recipes). I've cheated here and there, but I've been able to get right back on it.

The best part is that I actually enjoy eating this way. The longer you're on it, the more you develop a taste for fat. I find myself to be mostly free of cravings for starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. I don't avoid veggies, in fact veggie consumption has increased for me on this diet. I don't feel like I am depriving myself, like the way I did when I moderated everything.

As with all things, different people will have different experiences. I wish you well.

PS
    If you haven't already, look into the Low Carb Daily Group. There are a lot of smart, experienced and supportive people in there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Best part: i rarely go over my calories, even if i'm trying
    Worse part: low carb..

I completely agree with you that the longer you are on it the easier it becomes. I have found that carbs can creep up in even simple things such as the supplements I take. I actually found a natural Ketone product that can put your body in ketosis within about an hour. The best part that I personally like is that I had an amazing amount of energy from day one of starting the diet. Good luck to you and go Keto!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    best part, I can go out to eat and socialize without being a pain in the #*$&#*Y at a restaurant

Wait, wut. Because you ARE keto or you aren't?

(If it's the former, seems to me restaurants would be a land-mine. But I don't eat at restaurants very often.)

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    As long as you're past the age where restaurant means burger and fries or a pizza it's easy to eat out. I haven't found a restaurant yet that doesn't offer meat and vegetable entrees.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »

Wait, wut. Because you ARE keto or you aren't?

(If it's the former, seems to me restaurants would be a land-mine. But I don't eat at restaurants very often.)

It's a lot easier to eat out when you are low-carb/Keto.

Mexican - Fajitas, skip the tortillas, or a taco bowl, don't eat the bowl
    Italian - veal or chicken piccata, ask for veggies instead of pasta, or
    steak house - no explaination necessary
    pizza - eat the toppings, skip the dough, have a salad
    Chinese is harder, but most places have steamed dishes, so you can stay away from the sauces
    burger place- just don't eat the bun.
    breakfast places - can even go for eggs bennadict, don't eat the muffin

all of this is much easier than stressing over how much fat/calories is in your salad dressing or if your fish is grilled or broiled with a butter and wine sauce, or how many bites of rice or pasta you're allowed to eat. Forget about counting out french fries to make you calorie count for the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think low carb would be reasonably easy to do in most restaurants, yes, but those of us who don't do low carb can navigate the restaurant experience without much trouble or stress either. I have never once counted fries. I don't even order fries that often, as they aren't that common in most restaurants I go to.