How many women actually workout with weights

Options

Replies

• 1Rune
    1Rune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ngolden - if you're just getting started I can tell you how I'm approaching it, although I'm not a trainer either.
    Choose a basic rx for every body part and don't ignore any of them.
    I personally do a body conditioning regime for a while so I don't snap anything or get so sore I can't sit down or something - my biggest goal is to live to fight another day, and me "lubing up" really doesn't take long - just a week or three, maybe.
    Start light, get used to the motion, and make a point out of knowing what good form is for that rx. If you're working your chest in a bench press, focus on pushing that weight with those muscles (versus your arms, for instance), stay focused on that and a full range of motion every rep, and do exactly the same thing on every exercise. It may feel awkward and bumpy the first few times, but after you and your body get used to it, the whole thing will start flowing more smoothly (and you won't feel so uncomfortable and weak).
    Then start adding weight - the rule is higher weights, lower reps (5-8) if you're trying to build, higher reps/lower weight if trying to tone (10-15 or more). *Most of the time when trying to tone up, we are at least initially trying to *build a muscle. I treat toning regimes as maintenance regimes, personally, but that's just me.

I also tend to favor bigger composite movements in lower body work (hinging at two joints) versus isolation (one joint), because a) they're hobo cardio, b) I prefer training my whole leg. I lift heavier on butt stuff because, you know - gotta plump and lift that stuff up. I w/o at home, so all my suggestions will be doable there. I have a bench too, but a swiss ball can replace that in a pinch. I use mine all the time that way, and doing hamstring curls on a ball > than on my bench. I have to pile pillows on my bench to get my butt up in the air high enough that I'm not aggravating my back - with the ball, I basically just fall down a start curling. Be sure to buy a ball sized for your height, but slightly smaller has it's pro's too if you're using it in place of a bench for range of motion.

Basic moves:
    Chest - bench press, flyes (flat, incline, decline)
    Back - rows, superman, good mornings
    Shoulders - more rows (upright, bent over) standing lateral flyes
    Abs - bicycle crunches, roman twists
    Legs - lunges, squats, step ups, deadlifts, kettlebell/dumbbell swings- there are a bazillion different varieties of these. I'd start with rear lunges, basic squats, and step ups at a height you're comfortable with, with or without weight. Add weight once your body has stopped being horrified at this new abuse. ;)
    Butt - bridges, donkey raises (most of your leg rx work your booty too - it's a bit difficult to separate this out) I nestle a dumbbell behind my knee for donkey raises.
    Calves - calf raises, donkey raises, seated raises, one-leg raises, raises with weights - just pick one and do it. Unless you pick seated raises, in which case you have to pick another one, because seated raises focus on the soleus instead of the gastrocnemius.

^^ pfft. I do these sheerly for the principle of the thing. I have killed myself heaving my big *kitten* up and down with these things my entire life and they still look exactly the same. #punt.
    But do them.

Hth's.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do and been doing for awhile :), though I just recently started back up lifting do to injury unrelated to lifting.

Just started on Wed of last week, took about 5 month break to heal, so basically starting over but definitely a lot easier this time.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I lift, not heavy as I would like but I am working on getting my weights up. I do feel very intimidated in the weight room though. I prefer to lift on the track but the equipment is not as good. Once my home gym is built I can do it in private. I don't worry about getting bulky that's just silly, but I hear it all the time. Once I get back into the groove I am hoping it will tighten up my flubber & nasty jiggle
    I am just shy of 51, short at only 4'11' and 20 lbs overweight currently at 127. I dropped my deadlift and squat weights to improve form.

Currently lifting:

Deadlift 105 lbs
    Squats 105 lbs
    BB bench press 55
    DB chest press 25's

So I have a very long way to go, my goals at this time are to squat & deadlift 1.5x my body weight and bench my body weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting 4-5 days a week for the past year. No bulk here (and actually I want to get a bit more bulk so I'm planning for a long bulking period soon). I think the unfortunate problem with the whole "you'll get bulky myth" stems from the 80's cardio bunny days where bouncing around for hours got you lean lol. I admit I'm a reformed cardio bunny and it took me a while to pick up the weights, but now I hate to put them down :smiley: I had my MIL tell me when I first started to lift "be careful" because she used to lift weights and she couldn't put on her blouses and blazers. I think she was drinking the Koolaid too.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Loco_Beast wrote: »
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

I do want to talk about this for a second. Sometimes my rest periods are 3-5 minutes. I will sit there taking up the bench or rack while on my phone the entire time since my phone is my rest timer. If a guy wanted to work in on my rest periods he's welcome to ask, but he's going to have to unload/load for himself. I can't cut the rest periods down any more because it's very specific programming.

I posted similar. My rest is 1 1/2 -2 minutes so yeah I am going to pick up my phone especially since it logs all my workout and rests. What we do on our rests is our business. smh at people - pst I am on my rest.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

I do want to talk about this for a second. Sometimes my rest periods are 3-5 minutes. I will sit there taking up the bench or rack while on my phone the entire time since my phone is my rest timer. If a guy wanted to work in on my rest periods he's welcome to ask, but he's going to have to unload/load for himself. I can't cut the rest periods down any more because it's very specific programming.

I posted similar. My rest is 1 1/2 -2 minutes so yeah I am going to pick up my phone especially since it logs all my workout and rests. What we do on our rests is our business. smh at people - pst I am on my rest.

It's impossible to know what someone else is doing between sets. I don't really care if they are posting a video to Instagram or logging their workout. If they happen to be taking a while I may ask how many sets are left or if I can work in. Sometimes if it's just accessory type work that I need to do I'll adjust my plan. I used to let things get under my skin, but I know I annoy other lifters in some way as well.

ETA: I lift on my lunch hour, so it's not like I have all the time in the world to be in the gym. Getting upset over equipment use by other people is just going to ruin my mood and not actually accomplish anything.
  • lauraczillman
    lauraczillman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use weights and resistance bands. Both give me an awesome workout!
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I lift as heavy as I can for 4-6 reps. I like to feel strong but I don't consider myself a "power lifter" because I don't have anyone to spot me for the time being. I can definitely see muscle gains and fat loss. No actual weight loss tho. If I'm being honest, I've probably gained some lbs but lost inches.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have a Total Gym Fit, in which I am the weight (156.2 Pounds); it has 12 levels & I have 2 medicine balls (2 kg & 5 kg). I bought a barbel that connects to the Total Gym & plan to buy 2 25 pound weights, 1 for each side. I also plan to buy some dumbbells and a tower, in which I lift myself vertically; since Total Gym lifts're horizontal but that's it. I am not very strong & I don't desire to be fit, just thin but definitely not skinny fat either, just a healthy thin. So heavy lifting, to build muscle, compete, etc., just doesn't interest me. I enjoy excise but prefer to build a better body, in the kitchen. Plus my disability: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), greatly reduces my physical ability & strength. As for my Total Gym, I'll only do level 1 for my arms, up to level 2 for my abdominal & up to level 3 for my legs, since my arms are the weakest, my legs are the strongest & my abdominal is in between.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yes. Free weights and body weight. I am 61 y.o.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week, currently doing PHUL. I had been doing my own thing but wanted more direction, so that's why I chose PHUL. That and the fact some of my friends who are smokin hot have had great results. :D My body type does tend to get "bulky" quickly, but to each their own. I want to be strong and be powerful.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 years old and have been lifting for almost two years. I'm coming off a shoulder and a hip injury so I'm just now working my way back up to higher weight. My leg press is at 490 right now, first time back at squat yesterday was only 75 but my deads are at 145.........working toward my best of 185. Can't do OHP yet but started chest and shoulder press to work my way back up on my bench. Injuries suck though!

Oh and I'm not bulky either!
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    We have a gym at work and my friend who is a personal trainer come in here twice a week with me and does weights with me. I'm very much a beginner :) and don't lift anything heavy by any stretch but we usually do 2-3 sets of 12-15 sometimes 17 reps. I wasn't a fan of weights but when I see my biceps become more defined, I think, wow, it's working !!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I do :smiley: . But at home not at a gym. Women in general don't realise all the benefits of lifting weights :smiley: it's a shame really. Before MFP I had no clue myself about how good strength training was for all of us. I love my muscles :smile: and how despite being 10lbs heavier than I was in my 20s I'm two dress sizes smaller.

Generally there is a lack of knowledge and I'm not sure who's to blame for not encouraging us to get lifting.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I work out with weights 5 days a week. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I would get bulky. Actually the opposite.

That's great, maybe you could advise some of the women with questions. I think some women see the Pro female bodybuilders (meaning the ones who do look manly or bulky), and think that is possible, not knowing what those women do to get where they are.

Nah man. I think even the uneducated about this cannot possibly think they could get that way without serious training, serious diet structure, and or juicing..

I lift heavy 5 days a week and far from bulky!
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lift and I love it ..... my max deadlift was 265 ...last summer I am working back up to it ..... I see men sitting on equipment on the phone as well.....I do not judge because most of the time we are logging.
  • LiftingLisa
    LiftingLisa Posts: 12,345 Member
    Options
    I do. I lift with a trainer and love it. Not getting bulky just the opposite.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do, although I'm not yet as strong as I'd like. Lots of women at my gym do.

I wanted to lift for a long time before I did, but it seemed harder to get started doing than cardio (in part because I'd been a runner/swimmer/biker for all my life in some way or another). We didn't learn about lifting in gym back when I was at school (or where I went to school) or even when I was cross country skiing in junior high (my last venture into team sports). My younger sister did a little, and women younger than me commonly report having trained with weights as part of team sports, so maybe it's getting better.

I was never worried about getting bulky (I'd actually like more muscle), more looking like an idiot or doing things wrong.