Replies

• The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I lift
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting DBs at home since late January and have just worked my way up to deadlifting/front squatting 70 lbs, starting from 20 lbs with my pretty 10-lb weights. Eventually I will work my way through the DBs but don't know if I want a barbell at home; and my gym at work just has DBs and machines. I might have to get a real gym membership.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I lift weights using the machines at my gym. I keep a log book of my weight, reps, and dates done, and keep pushing myself to do ever harder weights. It feels good.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Loco_Beast wrote: »
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

me! me!
    I love it, i used to be a cardio junky but when i added in HEAVY weights my body comp changed so much and never did i bulk I only lean out which is pretty cool. You have to eat a TON to bulk and/or take some extra chemicals to produce that manly look. its hard to bulk. Im trying now for my 3rd competition in the fall.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The only reason I don't is because I don't have a home gym or a access to a decent gym. I'm stuck with bodyweight exercises at the moment.

The first thing I'd buy if I won the lottery right now would be a home gym and a treadmill to for summer running.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    4 days a week. As heavy as I can. Right now only with machines, as the free weights and benches are always taken. I love lifting, though I notice it makes me lose weight slower.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Loco_Beast wrote: »
    Not claiming to be a guru or anything, but I have done my research. I have females in my gym ask me for advice a lot, and I think that's only because they see me in the gym and I actually workout the whole time I'm there, I'm not sitting on a piece of equipment texting or whatever. General opinion I hear is that they are afraid if they workout they will start to look "bulky" or "manly". This is so far from true, guess I'm just curious to how many women on here actually train with weights. Thanks, and good luck to all on your goals.

I lift every day. I do moderate weight for upper body, nothing insane but not a 5-lb. dumb bell either, and for legs I like to think I go pretty heavy in comparison to my size. Not afraid of being "bulky," in fact weight lifting has made my body much closer to what I always envisioned it being.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    I usually workout at 2 30 or 3 am in the morning and there are females (a couple) lifting weights at that time. Now that's dedication.

I'm there at 5AM :D the morning squad is the best!
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I do. Mainly with my trainer because none of my friends lift..or even go to the gym. :neutral: I needs him to spot me. Ha.

The rest of the time (alone) I use the machines or do cardio. Trying to get ready for law enforcement academy. :s
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    FLgirl40 wrote: »
    if ya'll haven't grown chest hair yet, be advised, chest hair will grow soon.

Will my balls drop before or after the chest hair?

This is why I love you!

I also lift, heavy 3-4 times a week and love it. Awesome results.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    been doing stronglifts for 2 months.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x/wk, mostly all at home. I started with a trainer at the gym. My gym has two weight rooms. One has the barbells and racks and one is all dumbbells in all weight ranges. My trainer built me a plan based on my abilities at the time and it was all using dumbbells. Eventually I wanted to move to using the barbell but preferred to do it at home so I got equipment to do it there. I've never used the barbells/racks at a gym and I've never had a trainer for it. I've learned from videos and books. I still get to the gym sometimes these days but when I do, I like to use the dumbbell area for a change of pace from using the barbell. So I'll plan my workout as all dumbbell exercises plus a couple of pieces of equipment that I don't have at home.

I don't think I ever worried about being bulky or too big. It doesn't seem like something I'd think about.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting on and off for two years. My numbers aren't fantastic at the moment (still trying to gain strength post-pregnancy) but it has done amazing things for my body for sure. I wouldn't say I get bulky, but certain areas tend to "pop" too much (for my liking) when I cut down so I have to be mindful of how I train.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It would be so cool if there were statistics on how many women lift weights.

I don't do it though. Some ladies look very nice with muscles, some don't. imo
    I know many do the weight lifting so they can eat more calories, or to bulk up after a lot of fat loss to help skin and things.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It would be so cool if there were statistics on how many women lift weights.

I don't do it though. Some ladies look very nice with muscles, some don't. imo
    I know many do the weight lifting so they can eat more calories, or to bulk up after a lot of fat loss to help skin and things.

There are a lot of other reasons to lift. Preserving muscle mass while losing weight and as we age. Prevention of osteoperosis. More strength and balance for day-to-day activities. Increased performance in a sport. It doesn't always have to be a heavy-lifting program, and it doesn't always have to be with the intent of making strength or size gains. The outcome of lifting will be based on the kind of program you do.

I lift, and have since I started college. I do lower reps and heavier weights now than I did then, and I like the results more.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, it seems very popular and you look good. :)
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 4x/wk
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just started lifting- 2nd week in. Following Erin Stern Elite plan right now. My workout that I just finished about an hour ago consisted of:

Supersets: shoulder press and dumbell upright rows (15lb free weights for both)

Supersets:Cable rear delt flys and cable front raises w/straight bar

Supersets: skullcrushers(bar only, no add weight) and drag curls- bar +10lbs

I'm falling in love already, can't wait in another month or so to really begin to results!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts 5x5 last year and switched to doing Strong Curves 4x a week at the end of April.

I do use my phone during my rests, but my phone keeps track of everything for me and has my rest timer.