Did you get fat as a kid?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have been fat my whole life. My mum likes reminding me that the Dr put me on a diet at 2 months of age (after mistakenly thinking I was nearly 6 months rather than 2). I've been fat ever since.

There was a period in my early 30s where I got down to being merely over weight, but I was constantly hungry and running every day - it waant really sustainable. Now I'm just trying to avoid being too overweight.

I feel like I should add that I've always been active, played football, martial arts, cross country running and hiking into my late teens, continuing with running, football and, at varying intervals, the gym as an adult. My issue has always been food (and possibly metabolism), not exercise.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    When I was 6, my mom was giving me a bath. She grabbed my stomach and said we had to do something about this. I don't remember feeling the same about my body after that. I gained weight, but until puberty, it kept up with my height. After puberty, all hell broke loose. I've never been a normal weight since.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes. At even three if I was hungry after eating an adult sized portion my mom would give me another adult sized portion to eat. If I whined or cried or did anything I was given cookies, never had to go outside, my mom was very thin and didn't have to do anything to be that way, my sister was the same. Often my mom would be asked if she starved my sister and over fed me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was SKINNY. I graduated high school at 5'6" and 94 pounds. That said, I've always said I gained weight (slowly) from birth to 35. I gained the freshman 15, a bit while on prednisone, and then another 15 while writing a dissertation.
    At 35 I learned how to eat, and began losing weight. :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I got chubby around 1st grade, I remember being teased. I just gained and gained from there. I'd say I was legitimately fat in middle school but not obese until High school. I probably graduated at about 250lbs, then gained another 50ish after that with my "freedom". Was at my heaviest at about age 22, started changes at 23.5 and had lost 100lbs by my 25th birthday. By 26 I'd regained half of that and now here we are 6 months or so into fixing that.
  • OCF_020
    OCF_020 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was. During my younger years I was always over weight. I was a really active kid but my eating habits weren't the greatest. When I moved to Oregon I went through a seasonal depression and lost all of it, when I moved away from Oregon I started to gain the weight again because I wasn't depressed anymore at that time. After that I wasn't really fat, I hardly ate but what I did eat wasn't healthy.
  • HuskyGent
    HuskyGent Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was always in pretty good shape as a kid. Was a regular gym-goer from about 15 till 19 when I traded the gym for the pub...found the workouts were getting in the way of my drinking commitments :)

Late nights in the pub inevitably led to late night takeaways and the rest is history!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nope. I grew up average and a month or two after turning 14, I became obsessed with my weight. I dropped down to slightly under-weight and then stayed at the low-healthy end of the scale for the rest of high school (I was also swimming 4+ hours a day). I was unhealthily obsessed and in general I was extremely depressed. So when I moved away to college and discovered "freedom," I completely went off the deep end with drinking, eating, smoking, and stopped all exercise. I immediately started gaining weight. Then things really went bad- entering and leaving an abusive relationship, broken relationships with family and friends, my parents splitting up, dropping out of college, losing my job, my dad dying- all of which happened within less than 2 years. My weight yo-yo'd a lot during this time. It was after all that, when things finally started to get better a little bit, that my weight really ballooned and I went from overweight to obese. I think part of me felt like after everything I had been through, I deserved to be happy and for some reason I started equating food with happiness. I was living with my boyfriend (now husband) and his roommate who was also a guy. I ate like they did- burgers and pizza and whatnot...and I was still smoking and not exercising. Everything was about immediate gratification. Two years of my life had been stolen from me, and I wasn't going to "deprive" myself anymore.

It's been 11 years since that low point of my life and I'm just now finally learning to make decisions for my long-term goals instead of living based on immediate gratification. For me the key has been getting honest with myself and focusing on health and happiness instead of a number on a scale.
  • Toribeth23
    Toribeth23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was actually a fairly healthy/skinny kid until age 11. I took a sharp nosedive into the awkward puberty stage and rounded out. In high school I was probably just on the edge of healthy weight after growing a few inches taller but still had a chubbiness to me, and of course I hated gym class, I hated sports, and exercising. I gained a little more weight eating a lot of fast food my senior year of High School. Then the "freshman 15" in College and then even more after getting married. I never, ever, understood "Calories In VS Calories Out." until I joined MFP.
    In my parent's house my Dad (a medical professional!!) has always done all the grocery shopping, and for some reason he can't get it through his head not to buy absolute crap food all the time. He'd come home with 10 boxes of snack cakes and say "They were on sale!". And if I or my Mom mentioned anything about being overweight then he'd say things like "You just need to exercise more." as if the junk food we were constantly eating had nothing to do with the fact that everyone was getting fat. When we'd point out to him that all he buys is junk food the excuse was "Well, I bought it for me. YOU don't have to eat it!" I do love the man, but honestly I'm so sick of his grocery shopping habits. I feel bad for my Mom who's been trying to lose weight for YEARS, but hates grocery shopping more than anything, so she's stuck eating the food he brings home. I hope that if I can be really successful on my journey eating healthier I can help get my parents out of their snack-cake-pop-tart-chip-soda-calorie-bomb prison!

TL;DR- I was a skinny kid but started gaining weight in puberty and slowly kept gaining until now because I didn't understand the influence of food, and my medically inclined parents still don't understand it, sadly and bafflingly.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    When I was 6, my mom was giving me a bath. She grabbed my stomach and said we had to do something about this. I don't remember feeling the same about my body after that. I gained weight, but until puberty, it kept up with my height. After puberty, all hell broke loose. I've never been a normal weight since.

That's very similar to what started my unhealthy obsession when I was 14. It was a week before the first day of high school and my mom and I had just come back from vacation. She had me step on the scale and I had 134 lbs on my 5'4.5" body- I was average and was a very active swimmer so looking back, I think this was probably healthy. But she said "uh-oh, looks like someone needs to start doing some situps!" I dropped to 111 in a month, and after that would never EVER let myself hit 125- if I did I would literally starve myself back to under 120. Even now, 18 years later, I have to force myself to be happy with ANY bit of progress instead of thinking "I'm fat until I'm 120." Slowly but surely my thinking is changing but that voice will always be in my head.