KIDS

Options
2»

Replies

• YuliyaShadyrya
    YuliyaShadyrya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify something : I do serve kids what I eat! ;)thanks for all the advice!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many of us struggle with guilt of throwing out food. It's ingrdined in us. So what? We change our thoughts about other things ET no longer agree with.

I had to decide is it better to throw out food or gain weight? It's not helping anyone if I eat the extra food, so it's either wasted or "waisted". My health is my first priority & I eat accordingly.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify something : I do serve kids what I eat! ;)thanks for all the advice!

Dish them less. I have been making that mistake at work, I'm a nanny not a mom so I don't get all the stress but I do understand most of it. I used to give them all that I thought they could eat but now I give them about half that amount. There is just no knowing how much they will eat any given day or meal!

Another tip is to get exercise with them, we do lunges together (okay, I do lunges and they do adorable little duck waddled trying to copy me), they help me count my push-ups, and the other day I used each one to do a couple "bench presses" haha.

I get stressed and overwhelmed at work often and when the going gets real tough I load up the stroller and we go. Even if it's just around the block, the change of scenery is great for all of us and sort of resets the mood of all involved. Is that an option?

Also, dance parties. Sometimes it's their music, but often times its my upbeat dancing mix that helps me reset my own stress and mood. Gets us all silly and it's smoother sailing from there.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do the trick of serving myself a super-undersized portion with the expectation my kids will leave some extra behind, which I then finish off. :smile:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.

Make less, or put less on their plates. Save leftovers for the next day rather than consuming them because you "have" to. Regarding the stress, 60 seconds of deep breathing can be hugely therapeutic.

I've got a 5 and 6 year old, a full time job, and grad school. I get it, but it's also 100% doable. You just have to make yourself a priority, rather than putting yourself tenth on your list of important things.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Sometimes I do the trick of serving myself a super-undersized portion with the expectation my kids will leave some extra behind, which I then finish off. :smile:

See, I have to do the opposite - when I fix myself something to eat I take more than what I will actually eat because somehow they know and come out of the woodwork saying "can I have a bite" (never mind that they just ate). Before I know it, half my food is gone :D. Now, dinner is a different story, since we're all eating the same thing at the same time, but breakfast, lunch, and snacks? Yeah I count on the kiddos taking a good bit of my food, lol.
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same issue, I have 3 kids twins who are 5 and an 18 month old. I think I basically gained weight eating what the kids didn't finish- because let's face it I rarely say down to eat a meal, but also stress eating. I now have a rule I only eat sitting down, and excessively chew my food.
    For me what works is cooking one dinner a day, but catering to both kid friendly and my diet friendly meals. To accomplish this I have stocked my freezer with things from M&M meats that are both healthy for me (like a marinated piece of salmon for 150 cals that I can put with a salad) or kid friendly options (think chicken fingers, lasagna). Sometimes if I'm making a salad for myself I double the recipe and stock up for a later date and that is also huge help. I tried eating what kids eat but just smaller amounts and found myself still hungry because of limited portion.
    My kids are also getting more adventurous as they see me eating different. Stir fry has become a family staple. They are branching out!
    As for the stress eating, I mean we all do it but if you are all I say is log ANYTHING you put in your mouth.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the leftovers. You are not a garbage disposal. I know it feels wasteful so if possible save it for lunch or something the next day.

Get your kids involved in your activities. I run while my daughter is at piano practice so on our way to and from practice she asks to run there and back too. The other day I did a cosmic yoga video with the kids and they loved it.

Also a big thing for me was drinking water. It reduced my cravings and helped me curb the boredom/stress eating. When you get a snack put it in the kids bowl so you are eating a smaller portion. Have the kids help you with dinner and a be they'll be more likely to eat it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've got lots and lots of kids, mostly older now (youngest is 9). I can't eat when stressed, so different from you in that way, but:

We were generally unscheduled, but organized mealtimes. Everyone sits down and eats, together.
    Snacks are allowed for kids, pretty much unrestricted, if they do the work and cleanup themselves.
    I don't buy much junk food at all. A big box of kashi bars, kind bars, sometimes chips or crackers but there just isn't a lot of unhealthy snackage available. So to get food, in general, one has to prepare food.
    When funds allow, I put big bowls of fruit out.

If you aren't working, wow, take walks to the park, go to the beach, do active things. Babies are portable, and little kids love to run around.

If you are working, then (like me) you may have to get up early if you want time to work out. I go out for a run at 0530. Not because it's my preference, but because nobody needs me that early.