May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hope you heal quickly and fully @5BeautifulDays!

@ceciliaslater I hope this clears up all of the issues so you are back to full health later this year. Also hope that other leg gives you no trouble.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @5beautifulDays - I thought it was just me... on typing the @ sign and it isn't remembering the names.

I don't remember if this article was shared before or not. I remember seeing one about an older woman, but not man.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/time-cant-beat-ed-whitlock-runnings-85-year-old-legend-1462404725

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - From everything I've read, I probably have the extra bone and muscle in my other leg/ankle as well. In the vast majority of cases where people have both legs scanned, it is bilateral. I haven't had any imaging done on the other one to know for sure, though.

Seems like the general consensus is to just leave it be, regardless, unless it starts causing problems. Most people who have one or both conditions survive their whole lives with no problems, so the chances that I'll have to have surgery on the other ankle are pretty low.

I would definitely be interested to know if I have the same thing in the other ankle, though! Is only half of me bizarre, or am I 100% freak?!?!

Haha! Right! I guess odd stuff like that is somwhat common though. I was having navicular pain and there can be an extra bone there too. And since both docs came up with it and didn't have to study up, I'd think they expect to encounter it. But you are a unicorn!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey @5beautifuldays! What surgery did you have done? I'm scheduled for one on my rear in 49 days. Kinda thinking about bailing on it.... :#

I had a large cyst removed from my tailbone. I'm sure a month from now when I'm all healed up, I'll be glad I had it done, since it was causing me significant pain (enough to not enjoy any activity that required sitting for more than a few minutes--which considering that I have theater-music-film kids, are unavoidable activities around here.)

Surgery isn't fun ( I'm sorry to hear you have such an extensive one coming up, @ceciliaslater !) but if you're in pain regularly, I guess it's worth it in the long run.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    @PoppetsMaster Im going to train him to poop in your running shoes
    I don't like that much cushioning....

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    It's just occurring to me that while I know quite well what it feels like to be sore from doing squats or yardwork, I'm really confused about running soreness. I think I've somehow been expecting that nothing should hurt because it's cardio.

I ran Fri/Sat/Sun and then on Monday my left hamstring felt a little sore, just with impact, not in general walking around. I rolled it with my "bumpy stick" thing between my kickboxing/strength/pilates workout segments last night. This morning it was pretty sore and I had to go very low impact on cardio. Rolled it more.

Now, I can jump, do high knees, hop on that leg, without any pain whatsoever. So is this completely normal and I was just sore from running? I feel like I should know this by now, but I've seriously never considered that I could be temporarily sore from running. And after several injury-type setbacks (pains that got worse and worse until I couldn't run anymore) I've become soooo cautious about any pain.

I don't know if I really have a question here, more of a personal revelation that it's okay to be sore from running. Haha.

Try running up some really good hills and fast, and then let me know if you feel sore. :-)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Does that mean your bunny identifies itself as a female? :open_mouth:
    Of course it does... it's bunny. Ain't no such thing as a macho bad-*kitten* man-rabbit...

You haven't watched Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" have you?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

You tit. I soiled my armor I was so scared.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew
    5/8: 10 miles solo
    5/9: 4 miles with Monday coffee crew
    5/10: Rest
    5/11: Lazy day
    5/12: 4.5 miles (am), 7.3 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    5/13: Rest day
    5/14: Lazy day
    5/15: 2 miles + 10 miles
    5/16: 4 miles with Joe to Go crew
    5/17: Rest day
    5/18: Lazy day
    5/19: 7 miles with Pacers Thursday crew
    5/20: Rest day
    5/21: 13 x 1 mile hill repeats (plus .1)
    5/22: Lazy day
    5/23: Lazy day
    5/24: 4 miles

You guys are posting machines, lately! 230+ posts since my last visit! I am never going to catch up. Count me in for being a loyal member in June... this month is just getting away from me!

Didn't run Sunday or Monday because my allergies had a resurgence and I felt awful: stuffy nose, swollen glands, dry throat, itchy mouth/eyes... the whole bit. I finally felt a bit better today, just dry-feeling lungs and a little stuffy, and my running buddy is leaving for Germany for 10 days, so she got me to go out for a run with her this evening. I wouldn't have gone without someone else, so it was really good of her to ask me to go. I didn't feel great (my lungs felt awful), but it was nice to have a moving-chat! I'm hoping I'll feel physically better tomorrow... then I think I'll actually want to go for a run!

I'm hoping to have job stuff settling down in the next few weeks, but hopefully by June I'll be feeling more "myself" again and be able to tolerate running chats! My heart's just not quite in it yet.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m
    5/4 - 6m
    5/5 - weights
    5/6 - 5m
    5/7 - 10m :D
    5/8 - rest
    5/9 - 3.8m
    5/10 - 3.5m
    5/11 - 7m
    5/12 - weights
    5/13 - 3m
    5/14 - 6.2m
    5/15 - rest
    5/16 - 4m
    5/17 - 6m
    5/18 - 7m ****breaking in new shoes: Asics Gel Nimbus 17s
    5/19 - weights
    5/20 - 6m
    5/21 - 12m :DB) **new personal distance record
    5/22 - rest
    It just never seems like it's enough rest, does it?
    5/23 - 5m
    5/24 - 5m

Distance to date: 98.5m
    Goal: 126m (78.2% complete)

Training Plan (in case anyone is interested)
    coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow calls for 30-45 at E I've been doing 4 miles for this...kind of want to do 5, craven though it's another 10 or so minutes past the time limit. Just feeling the 4 mile runs aren't enough
  • heatherdonovan3
    heatherdonovan3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    5/18-2.1 miles
    5/21-2.1 miles
    Total this month-12.4 miles
    Goal-25 miles
    I'm half way there but more than half way through the month. Doh!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thx for all the great advice! Rest day for me ... literally. Sick with ... ?? Flu? Hope not. Feel like a slug. An achy slug.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lol @7lenny7....like stop signs
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 3.11 easy
    5/2 – rest day
    5/3 – extra rest day
    5/4 – 3.51 almost easy
    5/5 – 6.34 easy
    5/6 – planned rest day
    5/7 – 11.02 with pace group
    5/8 – extra rest day
    5/9 – scheduled rest day
    5/10 – extra rest day
    5/11 – no running
    5/12 – no running
    5/13 – PT appointment, no running
    5/14 – no running
    5/15 – no running, DNS for 10K
    5/16 – no running
    5/17 – PT appointment, 2.03 warm up
    5/18 – rest day
    5/19 – PT appointment, 2.55 on track
    5/20 – rest day
    5/21 – 3.07 easy
    5/22 – 3.52 easy
    5/23 – rest day
    5/24 – 4.22 easy

May total to date – 39.37

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from Boston and Flower City. Build Base. Start training program for Rochester Marathon Recover from injury, return to running.

Today's notes – I had expected today to be the last PT visit. It wasn't. The PT wants to see me once a week now, to do ultrasound on my right hip abductor. But I'm encouraged by the progress.

Today was also a work at home day. I ran at lunch, and completed the course I set out to run with options to cut it short. 4.22 miles, woo-hoo! I'm finally running far enough that it can be considered a short run! Best of all, my leg felt just a little better when I got done than it did after 3.52 miles on Sunday. It's still not normal, but there is progress.

Random observations - I was running for how the leg feels, not particularly paying attention to pace or heart rate. My pace averaged 7:45, faster than it would have if I'd been concentrating on running easy. HR spent most of the time in Zone 3, but I don't know how much of that is just because it was 77° F (25° C) when I was running. The interesting thing was, cadence averaged 183 as opposed to the mid- to upper- 170s that I am accustomed to seeing for easy runs. Don't know what that means.

Then this evening I went and did the volunteer thing for the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge at RIT. Because I was working the finish chute, I had the luxury of watching both the start of the race and the first few people coming across the finish line. One of my running club's members won it outright, and I got to see him cross. :)

My weak hip abductor started complaining later on, when I was carrying cases of MVP (Wegman's label Gatorade) from a pallet to the ice bath. It felt like running too far, except it was from walking while carrying weight. So I backed off that activity, and still had a very pleasant evening. I love the relaxed atmosphere of volunteer work.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just a plce marker till I can do a real update...
    5/23 rest
    5/24 4.10
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    3.1 miles tonight. 75F and 80% humidity. I managed pretty well though. Anybody using Garmin app notice this new feature? You can overlay pace over elevation or heart rate over pace, etc.n2l83shbophl.png

They added that in the last update. Pretty neat