20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka they're not feeling too bad yet. They felt heavy enough this morning, but I also played a full 90 min soccer game yesterday, so they were sore going into the gym. I'll be up over two plates by next week and that's when I expect that it'll really start to feel heavy and it'll be a mental grind just to not rack the weight after 5, 10 or 15 reps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    @JoRocka they're not feeling too bad yet. They felt heavy enough this morning, but I also played a full 90 min soccer game yesterday, so they were sore going into the gym. I'll be up over two plates by next week and that's when I expect that it'll really start to feel heavy and it'll be a mental grind just to not rack the weight after 5, 10 or 15 reps.

yeppppers. LOL- It's funny I transitioned off the program and onto another one and I'm up at 195- (*which I repped out at 20 end of the program) and now I'm doing it 5 x 3- and I"m like OMRRGH- how did I ever do this 20 times LOL.

After like 8 is where I'm wanting to get the bar off my back LOL
  • McCloud33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

yeppppers. LOL- It's funny I transitioned off the program and onto another one and I'm up at 195- (*which I repped out at 20 end of the program) and now I'm doing it 5 x 3- and I"m like OMRRGH- how did I ever do this 20 times LOL.

Were you able to up your 1RM with the program though too, or did it just bump up your 20RM?
  • JoRocka
    Options

Were you able to up your 1RM with the program though too, or did it just bump up your 20RM?

I didn't test my max b/c I was cutting so heavily due to the weight loss thing at work. I'm thinking I'm going to be testing out here in the next 8 weeks. So we'll see. Mentally I think it's going to make a huge difference.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 5 of 18

Squat: 215x20
    pullover: 25x20
    OHP: 115 5x5+ (got 7 on the last set)
    DL: 350 1x5

Still a little sore from soccer on sunday, but I took some advil before heading to the gym and felt pretty good by the time I warmed up. Still having the elbow issue which is troublesome. I did some internet sleuthing, and it looks like it's some kind of tendonitis.

Squat felt good though. Could have easily done a little more weight or a few more reps if I wanted to. OHP was alright. The elbow probably bothered me the most on that lift right at lockout at the top. DL felt good as well and seems to be benefiting from the squat. Again, I felt like I probably could have done either more weight or more reps on that. I may start pushing a little harder on squat and DL to see just how far I can push it.

https://youtu.be/QNjNox2GHtw
    https://youtu.be/sR6dtgUYPAE
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 6 of 18

Squat: 220x20
    Pullover: 25x20
    Flat Bench: 185 5x5
    Weighted Pull-up: 35 5,5,5,5,4

So after about a week of dealing with my elbow, I followed some advice of an older lifting buddy and tried to widen my grip to try and reduce the torque on my elbow. The result was an awkward feeling 20 reps that I'm sure my form was waning as I got further in. Going forward, I'll just try and deal with the pain and keep my normal grip. Unfortunately, my video cut out after 30 seconds instead of recording the full set :tongue: Bench felt good the further I went into the sets, but the first set or two, that same elbow hurt when I'd go to lock out at the top. ***EXTREMELY IRRITATED WITH MY BODY RIGHT NOW*** On top of the elbow, I have something going on with my right groin area too :rage: Don't know if it's elbow related or not, but failed on my last set, last rep for weighted pull up too. I think I might transition to 3x5 weighted and then do two sets of bodyweight to try and keep my reps up.

https://youtu.be/pP6h1-7Dqvs
    https://youtu.be/Hm6Fg89aktU
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 7 of 18

Squat: 225x20 (two plates!!!)
    OHP: 120 5x5
    DL: 355x6 (pushed it for another rep :)

I was definitely a little sore after yesterday's soccer championship game (we won!)...groin is a little tender after some kind of minor tweak/pull last week and I irritated it again yesterday. Took some advil before heading to the gym though and as long as I'm moving in a straight motion, there's little/no pain so didn't really affect squat. Someone was in both racks when I got there this morning, so I hit OHP first. Felt good. Less pain in the elbow than last week so hopefully with another week or two, it'll really start to feel better. Moved on to squat and as you'll see in the video, something was up with my stance or something for the first couple of reps and I lost my balance at the top a little for the first couple of reps, but got that corrected as I moved on. 225 felt easier this week than 220 did last week. Finished off with DL and added an extra rep for good measure...355x6 :)

https://youtu.be/xgInekNzfes
    https://youtu.be/7qHPQ2W1OIk
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 8 of 18

Squat: 230x20
    Flat Bench: 190 5,5,5,5,4
    Weighted Pull-up: 30 3x5
    BW Pull-up: 2 sets - 1st set chin-up grip x 8, 2nd set wide grip slow, controlled 4 count up, 4 count down x 4

Squat was good. Took off the shoes and did just my socks and felt like I had a much better base, so I'll continue that going forward. And over 2 plates now so every squat will be the heaviest 20 rep squat I've ever done :) Bench was ehh...failed on last rep. Pull-ups I went down to a 3x5 for the weighted and am playing around with what I want to do for BW after. The slow pull-ups are definitely a grind and add to that time under tension. Might just try and do 20 BW as fast as I can though as I saw in another thread.

https://youtu.be/6szM_2fUNiA
  • JoRocka
    Options
    230- nice man- nice.
    Glad you're feeling solid on your feet.
    How's the elbow today?
  • McCloud33
    Options
    230- nice man- nice.
    How's the elbow today?

Thanks @jorocka I'm not quite dreading going to the gym yet, but I can feel it coming around 250lbs. Elbow is feeling mildly better, but I'm not sure if that's because it's actually healing, or because I'm taking advil before heading to the gym this week. LOL I was taking it more for my groin than my elbow, but it's probably helping with both. I tried going to a wider grip with my arms to take some pressure off, but that didn't work with my overall form and feel of the squat, so I'm just keeping it narrow like it's been and working through the mild pain that's there. Like I've said, once I get about 5 reps in, I don't even really feel it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    230- nice man- nice.
    How's the elbow today?

Thanks @jorocka I'm not quite dreading going to the gym yet, but I can feel it coming around 250lbs. Elbow is feeling mildly better, but I'm not sure if that's because it's actually healing, or because I'm taking advil before heading to the gym this week. LOL I was taking it more for my groin than my elbow, but it's probably helping with both. I tried going to a wider grip with my arms to take some pressure off, but that didn't work with my overall form and feel of the squat, so I'm just keeping it narrow like it's been and working through the mild pain that's there. Like I've said, once I get about 5 reps in, I don't even really feel it.

My elbows get cranky when I do pause squats- so I feel you.
    Hopefully your groin heals up quickly though- 20 reps at heavier weights is not going to let anything heal if it's already cranky LOL
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a thumbless grip while keeping your wrists straight? You can see an example of this grip (and an explanation) by Mark Rippetoe in his bar position video. Basically, what you are doing now is placing your hands under the bar so some force is being exerted down your arm to your elbows (I'm assuming you are supporting the bar with your hands a bit). If you switch your grip you can eliminate the elbow from the weight bearing aspect of the lift.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Honestly, I'd never heard of thumbless for squats before you brought it up @norlead2005 I'll have to do some more digging on it, but my initial thought is not to mess with it while I'm getting up in weight on this program. My grip has worked for me the last two years and this elbow issue started unrelated to the lifting. It's just that there's some pain there now.

@jorocka groin is healing, it's more that I aggravated it during my soccer league finals. I take the advil for it more for throughout the day than lifting. I don't feel any pain in my groin squatting or even DLing which is good.

• McCloud33
    Options
    Day 9 of 18

Squat: 235x20
    OHP: 125 5x5
    DL: 365x5, 405x1

Today was kind of "yay, halfway through" and "OMG I'm only halfway through" rolled into one LOL. Squat rack was full when I got there so I knocked out the OHP first. Still the pain in the elbow, but not severe and able to work through it.

Tried the thumbless grip on squat for a warmup set and there was just as much pain doing it that way, so I wasn't going to mess with trying it at the heavier weight and risk messing with my form. Squat was noticeably tougher today than Wednesday. It felt about as hard as 225 did about 4-5 weeks ago when I tried it. It's going to get rough quickly from here on out and I expect to have my "talk to Jesus" moment sometime after 250...and maybe every set after that too.

Deadlift was solid and I actually jumped 10lbs instead of 5 from Monday, one, because I felt good and though I could do it, and two, because I didn't feel like wandering the gym looking for the 2.5lb plates. Went for 6th rep, but felt like I was losing form about halfway up and dropped it. Gave myself a little break and went for 405. This is only the second time that I've pulled 405 on camera and only a few min after a heavier 1x5 set, I was pleased. Think I might be able to get 415 or even 425 by the end of the program which would be awesome. 415 is my all time PR for DL.

https://youtu.be/ml3PP4PC948
    https://youtu.be/DwI15lZYoo8
    https://youtu.be/PB4JgEAO1Ls
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Day 10 of 18

Squat: 240x20
    pull-over: 25x20
    flat bench: 190 5x5
    weighted pull-ups: 35 3x5
    BW pull-ups: ~190 2x8
    1 mile run

Worked out yesterday but just didn't get it posted. Squat felt really good and felt like I could have done another 15-20lbs without too much pain LOL Might have been the fact that I ate a cliff bar before heading to the gym and then also had a GU packet with caffeine 5-10min before starting. Hadn't been part of my normal routine, but I'm going to keep it up to see if that did make a difference.

Bench felt ok. Last set/rep was a little bit of a grind. Pull-ups same way. by the time I went to the bodyweight, I was pretty spent and once I hit 5 reps, my body just says "why are you trying to do more" LOL

Finished up with a 8 min mile on the treadmill just because. I'm itching to start running again, but giving this my full effort for now.

https://youtu.be/6pPygM5VL-0
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go back to this as my legs conditioning needs to be upped after my long recovery from my knee injury. Now that I can squat again, I just want to get the conditioning back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • McCloud33
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm going to go back to this as my legs conditioning needs to be upped after my long recovery from my knee injury. Now that I can squat again, I just want to get the conditioning back.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Glad to hear your recovery is allowing you to squat again. Especially after doing this program, I think that any program I do is going to have me squatting 3 days a week. I just feel so much stronger and my form is so much better when I do. Good luck @ninerbuff
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Glad to hear your recovery is allowing you to squat again. Especially after doing this program, I think that any program I do is going to have me squatting 3 days a week. I just feel so much stronger and my form is so much better when I do. Good luck @ninerbuff
    I would attribute some of my leg size to the 20 rep squat program. I lagged in legs my first year because like all young dudes back in the 80's, it was about the chest and biceps. So over the years when I felt my leg training got stale, I went back to the 20 rep squat program and would get small results again. Mind you it was a tough program and doing it 3 days a week for a long period of time didn't fit my personal goals at the time, but I do believe it's a great program for legs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Updated Stats
    BW 180 => 192
    Neck 15.25"=>15.625
    Chest 41.75"=>42.25
    Waist(narrowest) 33"=>34
    Waist(naval) 34"=>36.25
    Hips 39.5"=>41
    Thigh 22.5"=>23.5
    Calf 15.5"=>16.5
    Bicep 14.25"=>14.75
    Forearm 11.5"=>12.25
    Wrist 7"
    Ankle 9.25"

Don't really know if any of this is muscle...I'm sure water retention and fat are there too. Hopefully this isnt all for naught. 245lb squat in the morning :)

• McCloud33
    Options
    Day 11 of 18

Squat: 245x20
    OHP: 130 5x5
    DL: 370x5, 415x0

So it looks like I'm sticking with the pre-workout meal plan of a cliff bar and GU pack...Squat felt strong again this morning and while the last few reps are difficult, I'm not yet having to take excessive breaks in between reps. My videos have stayed pretty consistent at right around 2.5 min

OHP was just as rough as always when I start approaching 130-135. Gave myself 2 min before the 4th set and 2.5-3 min before 5th and was able to get all 5 reps.

DL is starting to get heavy on this rotation adding 5 lbs every session. 370 this morning and then attempted 415 for one but dropped it about at my knees bc it felt like my back was going to round.

https://youtu.be/sArJ2lKqcPQ
    https://youtu.be/M0VS87rOXKc