worst gym dude of all time?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Today at the gym:

There's one squat rack. I wait 15 minutes to use it while someone is finishing up. No problem, I fit in some other work. When he's done, I wait a minute, nobody sets up, and so I rack up my warm-up weights for squatting. As I'm starting, a guy shows up and says he was going to use this next but he "had to wee-wee." I say I'll keep it short today and just do a few sets. He says he wants to work in instead. I say OK. I start my first set. WHILE I'M SQUATTING, he throws two 2.5# weights between my legs and they land in front of my feet. He says he needs them for his set. I try to stay calm. During my second set, HE STANDS IN THE SQUAT RACK WITH ME. (btw, I'm female.) He does a set. For my third set I go to change to a higher weight. He gets irritated and sweeps all the weight off one side of the barbell so that it crashes 5 feet to the floor and tells me I shouldn't have changed the weight. I walk away and say it's all his.

I've only been lifting weights for nine months, and every other lifter I've met is kind and lovely. But this guy was truly the worst.

Venting over.

This kind of stuff is especially pathetic because there aren't as many women lifting (at least in most gym environments I have been in). It is nice to see women venture over and get into lifting, and it sad that they have to endure some bonehead hassling them with some childish bullsh*t, which is the adult equivalent of a frustrated little boy pulling the little girl's hair because he lacks the emotional intelligence to maturely handle those naughty and confusing feelings he is experiencing.

To be fair, these same asshats are also usually asshats to other men in the gym (and everywhere else) too...

...you're just not as likely to read a forum post about those encounters.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited May 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    I kind of feel like you're at fault for not being enough of a *kitten*.

I don't know about you, but unless i have my *kitten* face on and stand my ground men do this stuff to me all the time. By being a real rude *kitten* i've pretty much solved that problem.

"Can i work in?" "No. You can wait."
    Even if you said yes when he threw a weight next to your feet for "his set"..
    *Sets weight up and whips head furiously*
    "No. Go. Get the *kitten* out of here. Now."

Aint no body got time to deal with this *kitten*. No.

P.S. There was a bench one time i was waiting for for over 20 minutes, i watch the guy who was using it walk away, he says "all yours". I walk up to it and set my bag there. Random foreign guy comes up to me and says "Oh, i'm using this bench". I said "ahuh." he goes "Yeah i'm us-" "Oh you are? Where were you?". He was shocked i even challenged him. Then i told him "yeah, well i'm using it now. so you can wait."

Zero effs given about hurt fee fees.

So do people really not let people work in with them? Seems hypocritically to expect common decency but not give it to others.

That depends. If i'd waited for 15 minutes for a peice of equipment, then i probably wont. I'll probably ask them to wait. Especially since it takes longer for us to switch weights back and forth than just letting me finish what i need to do. If it's a machine, yeah okay, no worries. But in the squat rack? No.

Again, i said "even if you said yes" the moment he started his attitude and shittiness i would have told him to *kitten* off.

there's a difference between "common decency" and letting yourself get walked all over.

I definitely agree there. If he was literally impeeding her space while she was active in a set and throwing weights on the ground thats pretty f'd up gym behavior.

But on the squat rack thing. You don't know how long everyone else was waiting. Personally when somebody is using something I go walk on the treadmill so the person active in their set doesn't feel like I'm stalking them. IDK maybe no right answer but seems strange.

Stranger still this whole thread just made me aware that women are just walking around wondering if I'm about to physically assault them.

ehhh... If you put them in an uncomfortable position (like over-agressive flirting which happens often even in public places), start acting entitled (won't take no for an answer), or like an *kitten* (start crossing her boundaries), yeah, maybe.

There's something called disparity of force. Regardless of whether or not you're an aggressive dude, men are taller, stronger, and can physically do more damage to a woman than vice versa. In general of course , there are exceptions. But imagine, you're being approached/hassled by someone who is on average 50lbs heavier and half a foot taller than you. It's a completely normal response to feel uncomfortable or find it hard to stick up for yourself.

And in general (atleast from my training) women people should be aware of every person in their surroundings, relying on their intuition about people, and never being too trusting/a pushover, turning your back to people, etc. This is how you get yourself into these uncomfortable and potentially bad situations.

I was <140 pounds for the first decade or so of my adult life and around 125 when I was married. Does this count? (Or do the magical powers of my having a penis negate the disparity? :wink:)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I don't know about you, but unless i have my *kitten* face on and stand my ground men do this stuff to me all the time. By being a real rude *kitten* i've pretty much solved that problem.

P.S. There was a bench one time i was waiting for for over 20 minutes, i watch the guy who was using it walk away, he says "all yours". I walk up to it and set my bag there. Random foreign guy comes up to me and says "Oh, i'm using this bench". I said "ahuh." he goes "Yeah i'm us-" "Oh you are? Where were you?". He was shocked i even challenged him. Then i told him "yeah, well i'm using it now. so you can wait."

So do people really not let people work in with them? Seems hypocritically to expect common decency but not give it to others.

That depends. If i'd waited for 15 minutes for a peice of equipment, then i probably wont. I'll probably ask them to wait. Especially since it takes longer for us to switch weights back and forth than just letting me finish what i need to do. If it's a machine, yeah okay, no worries. But in the squat rack? No.

Again, i said "even if you said yes" the moment he started his attitude and shittiness i would have told him to *kitten* off.

there's a difference between "common decency" and letting yourself get walked all over.

I definitely agree there. If he was literally impeeding her space while she was active in a set and throwing weights on the ground thats pretty f'd up gym behavior.

But on the squat rack thing. You don't know how long everyone else was waiting. Personally when somebody is using something I go walk on the treadmill so the person active in their set doesn't feel like I'm stalking them. IDK maybe no right answer but seems strange.

Stranger still this whole thread just made me aware that women are just walking around wondering if I'm about to physically assault them.

ehhh... If you put them in an uncomfortable position (like over-agressive flirting which happens often even in public places), start acting entitled (won't take no for an answer), or like an *kitten* (start crossing her boundaries), yeah, maybe.

There's something called disparity of force. Regardless of whether or not you're an aggressive dude, men are taller, stronger, and can physically do more damage to a woman than vice versa. In general of course , there are exceptions. But imagine, you're being approached/hassled by someone who is on average 50lbs heavier and half a foot taller than you. It's a completely normal response to feel uncomfortable or find it hard to stick up for yourself.

And in general (atleast from my training) women people should be aware of every person in their surroundings, relying on their intuition about people, and never being too trusting/a pushover, turning your back to people, etc. This is how you get yourself into these uncomfortable and potentially bad situations.

I was <140 pounds for the first decade or so of my adult life and around 125 when I was married. Does this count? (Or do the magical powers of my having a penis negate the disparity? :wink:)

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

determines the appropriate use of force. :)

Like i said, there are exceptions. But on average, we know men are taller, heavier, and stronger. :wink:
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Some men are aholes, some men aren't.
    Some women are aholes, some aren't.

Stand upto bullies, it's uncomfortable but it's got to be done.
    People like this need to be checked regardless of whether they're a man or woman.

He did it with op today, he will do the same shiz to someone else another day.
    Do yourself and the world a favour by not putting up with this sort of behaviour.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Today at the gym:

There's one squat rack. I wait 15 minutes to use it while someone is finishing up. No problem, I fit in some other work. When he's done, I wait a minute, nobody sets up, and so I rack up my warm-up weights for squatting. As I'm starting, a guy shows up and says he was going to use this next but he "had to wee-wee." I say I'll keep it short today and just do a few sets. He says he wants to work in instead. I say OK. I start my first set. WHILE I'M SQUATTING, he throws two 2.5# weights between my legs and they land in front of my feet. He says he needs them for his set. I try to stay calm. During my second set, HE STANDS IN THE SQUAT RACK WITH ME. (btw, I'm female.) He does a set. For my third set I go to change to a higher weight. He gets irritated and sweeps all the weight off one side of the barbell so that it crashes 5 feet to the floor and tells me I shouldn't have changed the weight. I walk away and say it's all his.

I've only been lifting weights for nine months, and every other lifter I've met is kind and lovely. But this guy was truly the worst.

Venting over.

Wee-wee DudeBro needs to:

11jvs5l.gif
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jsimms435 wrote: »
    not only is this guy an idiot, but also unsafe. Throwing weighs around like that or causing you to be off balance could cause you to sprain or have a muscle strain or worse. I would report him immediately and let the gym people know this is unacceptable. If it was me, I would make the gym so sorry for this they would give me a free month or two as an apology.

LOL. What?! How is this behavior the gyms fault? It seems to me like this was the first time it happened. If it happens again then he should be kicked out but in no way is anyone entitled to 3 months free!

You're a funny dude!!!
  • RUTHIEBARDIN
    RUTHIEBARDIN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anaris2014 wrote: »
    The guy sounds like a jerk to me.

Although I felt like I was that jerk recently - there was a woman setting between the machine I wanted and then walking off to use some other machine (I assume, I actually have no ide where she went) but she left her town so I knew it was in use. I stepped in to another machine to fill the time. When she left the machine (taking her towel this time), I jumped in. Half way through my set she reappeared. I felt like a jerk. So I finished my set, reset the machine to the weight that she had been using, and apologised profusely, explainng that when she took the towel I thought she was done.

Fortunately, she accepted the apology and admitted that she'd changed her mind and decided to come back for another set. I spend the rest of my session feeling like a jerk and being exceptionally careful about stepping in on anyone else's machine.

And that is what that dude should have done. You apologize! Is it so hard for people to understand that? It always seems like everyone is so rude! And they don't even care that they are being complete jerks! Good job for apologizing! It takes a real man to do that. ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I would like to believe that the generalities presented here do not handicap your life so much that you can't use an elevator (where one turns their back to people) or use a gym/theatre/shop (where you just can't be aware of everyone).

If the OP does not confront OR report this behaviour then how is this behaviour going to be curbed?
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't mind working in, but I'm sure it'd be hard to share a squat rack if he's a big dude lifting a lot more than her and she's a beginner. Too much swapping out weights. Sounds like he was just marking his territory and trying to get her to leave. I would report him the next time I was in there or at least point him out to a trainer or someone. It's probably not his first time being a bully.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Today at the gym:

Venting over.

This kind of stuff is especially pathetic because there aren't as many women lifting (at least in most gym environments I have been in). It is nice to see women venture over and get into lifting, and it sad that they have to endure some bonehead hassling them with some childish bullsh*t, which is the adult equivalent of a frustrated little boy pulling the little girl's hair because he lacks the emotional intelligence to maturely handle those naughty and confusing feelings he is experiencing.

To be fair, these same asshats are also usually asshats to other men in the gym (and everywhere else) too...

...you're just not as likely to read a forum post about those encounters.

It is a totally different dynamic. I don't have other dudes crowding me, touching me to correct my form, complimenting me on my gym attire, leering at me at an angle through the mirror, asking for / giving me his phone #, etc., but I have seen all of those things happen to women. Men are rude to each other in more alpha-like, less creepy ways.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You know, it's probably never too late to report an incident like this. Call them now, or send an email at least.

Props for staying calm but the next person he irritates might not be able to and it could get REAL ugly.

I think with incidents such as these it's important to think of other gym members as well as management who I'm sure pride themselves on running a smooth operation. You could do a lot of good reporting it. DON'T wait for something else to happen... yikes lol.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

Like i said, there are exceptions. But on average, we know men are taller, heavier, and stronger. :wink:

it's cute how you assume men go thru life without feeling intimidation.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I would like to believe that the generalities presented here do not handicap your life so much that you can't use an elevator (where one turns their back to people) or use a gym/theatre/shop (where you just can't be aware of everyone).

If the OP does not confront OR report this behaviour then how is this behaviour going to be curbed?

Read my previous posts for more information. :neutral:
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

did i say that? where?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

BRB

Making forum post about how your profile pic is intimidating.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wish I was a bear.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

BRB

I'm going to make one about rainbowbow. She's talking about "use of force" in a thread about sharing gym equipment. And I guess saying it's okay because I'm bigger than her?
  • rainbowbow
    edited May 2016
    Options

welp:
    similar height
    similar weight
    similar strength

BRB

I'm going to make one about rainbowbow. She's talking about "use of force" in a thread about sharing gym equipment. And I guess saying it's okay because I'm bigger than her?

what? I was talking about use of force when necessary to save your life. There was a whole conversation about women feeling intimidated of being murdered by men. Literally murdered.

But okay...

p.s. what "use of force" is being used by OP for setting boundaries for herself by saying "no" to someone. Or telling them to F off after they've thrown weights at her while she's lifting heavy weights?

TFW you're literally grasping at anything possible to argue. :lol: