Week one and no pounds lost

Options
Hello, I'm new to my fitness pal.
I'm supposed to be eating 1800 calories a day, which I am.
I'm also exercising on the treadmill at my local gym for 30 minutes at 3.0 miles an hour with an incline
I cut out sodas and junk.
After one week being a heavier person, I expected to lose a few pounds, but stepped on the scale and I was still the same weight.
I'm very discouraged. Please help

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing food on a food scale to make sure portions logged are correct? If exercise is new you can hold onto water weight...I do when starting a new exercise. There's people that know more than me that will chime in but I think you should stick with it. It takes a long time to lose weight and I think the sooner we make peace with that the better:)
  • janicemushalupo
    janicemushalupo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you putting in your exercise? If you are, stop. Don't eat your hard work. Pick up some weights while at the gym. Watch the macros not calories.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Try cutting your carbs. That is usually helpful not only to flush out excess water weight but to jump start the fat burning process also. And definitely drink your water! Good luck!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you set your diary to public, people may be able to help you a little better. Sometimes when people first start logging their food they may mistakenly use bad entries or make some other logging errors. And depending on what you have your weight loss goal set to, the margin of error may be smaller than you think.

I'm with you though, usually the first week you cut your calories you would expect to lose something in water weight alone. It's worth figuring out now where you might be a little off track.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of conflicting advice, but here's mine: it's too soon to worry. The first week means your body is experiencing a lot of changes and it may still be adjusting to them. It's not a bad idea to double-check that everything is right, but I would wait it out for just a little longer and see what happens.

Also, if you haven't had a chance to read the stickied "must read" posts, they have a ton of good information. Like these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

^^This^^ I see there is already some advice that isn't helpful for your weight loss. diannethegeek always has some good pointers and links to threads that can help you figure this out.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Are you putting in your exercise? If you are, stop. Don't eat your hard work. Pick up some weights while at the gym. Watch the macros not calories.

1. MFP is set for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories.
    2. Weights, sure, why not if you want to.
    3. NO NO NO. Also no. Calories in/calories out is ALL OF THIS.

OP-You might be retaining water. You might not have a food scale and weigh all your foods. Did you gain all of your extra weight in one week? No. Be patient, check your logging and do this right.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is a medically proven fact that if you have a carbohydrate intolerance, your body cannot metabolize the offending food (gluten, lactose, glucose). I for one suffer from celiac disease. Usually carbohydrate intolerance crosses over to more than just gluten sensitivity. Lowering the total carbs consumed is not a fad diet. I did not say no carb diet. Just suggested that cutting the amount of carbs might be helpful. Many people have metabolic problems that are related to carbohydrate sensitivities so it is always worth looking into.
  • houtzashleyg
    houtzashleyg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Hang tight on the journey. Is easier for some than others. Week 1 down..the initial hard parts over but have to keep being focused and determined to meet your personal goals
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone else ask this so I will...
    Are you weighing at the same time of day? Weight fluctuates by as much as two pounds over the course of the day, accounting for water weight, food in digestion, poo, etc. Weigh yourself at the same time on the same day of the week wearing the same thing. (I opt for first thing in the morning in my birthday suit).
  • krflurry2016
    krflurry2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I am weighing and portioning my food.
    I am not eating over my 1800 calories. Usually I'm under my calories.
    I am also weighing my self on Sunday's first thing in the morning undressed and the scale didn't move. I'll give it a few weeks and see if I lose a couple of pounds. Maybe it takes a awhile for my body to register that I'm trying to lose weight!
    Yes I know I need to be more patient but I figured being over weight and starting a diet that I would get on the scale and see 3 or 4 pounds gone in the first week but that's probably just wishful thinking!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Actually, it is a medically proven fact that if you have a carbohydrate intolerance, your body cannot metabolize the offending food (gluten, lactose, glucose). I for one suffer from celiac disease. Usually carbohydrate intolerance crosses over to more than just gluten sensitivity. Lowering the total carbs consumed is not a fad diet. I did not say no carb diet. Just suggested that cutting the amount of carbs might be helpful. Many people have metabolic problems that are related to carbohydrate sensitivities so it is always worth looking into.

This makes no sense.
    If your body couldn't metabolize a certain type of food, it couldn't store it as fat. So you could eat as much as you like of it without affecting your weight.

Suffering from celiac disease is a good reason to avoid gluten. "Jump starting the fat burning process" (as your earlier post said) is a silly reason--or, really, no reason at all--to cut carbs.

OP, barring some medical condition you haven't told us about, or satiety effects of different macros on you personally, focus on the calories. Get a food scale and use it for everything (or at least all solids). Choose your database entries with care, comparing the nutrient information on the entry to the package label or the USDA database (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods).

ETA: OP, if you're female, you could just have happened to start this at a time in your cycle when you were beginning to retain water, and that's masking fat loss. If that's the case, when the hormone-related water retention goes away, you could see two weeks' worth of fat loss suddenly show up on the scale.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    1800 is too high

You should net 1400 and eat back your exercise calories

Thank me later
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight on the 16th day of my new exercise routine and lower calories intake.