Options
2»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Depression can often reduce appetite. As long as you are eating 1200 calories and gettimg adequate nutrition, you shouldn't feel like you have to eat all the calories.
    Depression can often reduce appetite. As long as you are eating 1200 calories and gettimg adequate nutrition, you shouldn't feel like you have to eat all the calories.

These calories are within my 1200 not additional ones, I'm really not used to calorie counting, so I'm having meals thinking they sound ok, then get to night time after diary is done from 3 meals a day & find out I have loads left

I wish this was me. I've been running out of calories earlier in the day and only have about 250 left by the time I get to dinner! Then I end up going over. How am I going to lose weight this way? I wish I could "bank" my calories for a later time. Ugh.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're measuring incorrectly? Just because you said you weren't used to counting calories, it seems unlikely you'd need crisps to fill out your calories...1200 is pretty low, it definitely took me a while to get used to.
  • Rebekahl87
    Rebekahl87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Tracking alone really doesn't do it for me. I have to be more proactive than that and plan my day in advance. I know I have 1300-1400 calories to eat, and I want to have macros around 50P/30C/20F. I've discovered that sticking to that and working out at moderate intensity 6 days a week will usually result in a 2 lb loss. You may have to play with the numbers over the course of several weeks to find your sweet spot. I joined a fantastic Facebook support group that helped me learn to do this consistently. Feel free to friend me; I'm happy to share more! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am sat eating a packet of crisp just to use up calories, how can this be good?
    I choose crisp thinking it would use a lot up but not as much as I need to get rid of. Any ideas people?
    I'm not hungry but I'm obviously not using up enough calories .

Why? Save them. Think in terms of weeks rather than discrete 24 hour units. It's not like the body resets at midnight. Eat something nutritious. But why eat crisps just to use up calories? Seems odd to me. Perhaps open your diary so we can offer advice as to how to better fuel your body and stay within the calories allotted to you?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are not getting enough protein or fat for any size of adult human being. It's doubtful your calories are adequate either given the items you are eating, no matter how much you may be underestimating portions because an apple has a finite size.

If your hunger cues aren't working, you need to plan your meals a lot better to include enough protein and minerals for the day. You may find following a meal plan such as in every issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I looked at your diary. You are not getting enough protein or fat for any size of adult human being. It's doubtful your calories are adequate either given the items you are eating, no matter how much you may be underestimating portions because an apple has a finite size.

If your hunger cues aren't working, you need to plan your meals a lot better to include enough protein and minerals for the day. You may find following a meal plan such as in every issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

I totally agree.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Today I have gone over at 1300+ but I am not going to use up the additional ones that come from doing exercise.
    I said this week is a new one, I'm going to try & eat more, done ok today haven't I
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Almost any type of nuts or peanut butter has a ton of calories, and are considered healthy fats :) Try a handful of chocolate covered almonds maybe, easy 200 calories!
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Almost any type of nuts or peanut butter has a ton of calories, and are considered healthy fats :) Try a handful of chocolate covered almonds maybe, easy 200 calories!

That sounds like a good idea when I'm trying to use some up, I don't like peanut butter, though I do actually like nuts & chocolate!
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am sat eating a packet of crisp just to use up calories, how can this be good?
    I choose crisp thinking it would use a lot up but not as much as I need to get rid of. Any ideas people?

Yes! I totally feel your pain with this. I'm working for important exams so I'm super busy and quite stressed and I'm just not that hungry. I'm barely making 1000 calories right now because I just don't feel like it.
    I recently got the graze box light delivery and the snacks there are all under 150 calories so sometimes I'll just end up eating one of those and a load of yoghurt to try and get nearer my 1200 but it isnt really going too well.
    On the plus side i have lost 15lb hahaha
  • lisawilkes20
    Options

Yes! I totally feel your pain with this. I'm working for important exams so I'm super busy and quite stressed and I'm just not that hungry. I'm barely making 1000 calories right now because I just don't feel like it.
    I recently got the graze box light delivery and the snacks there are all under 150 calories so sometimes I'll just end up eating one of those and a load of yoghurt to try and get nearer my 1200 but it isnt really going too well.
    On the plus side i have lost 15lb hahaha

Don't worry about your weight whole your doing exam work, that's stressful enough, eat when you can. Look at what you're eating properly when exams are done & dusted. Good luck & we'll done on that loss!
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    Rebekahl87 wrote: »
    Tracking alone really doesn't do it for me. I have to be more proactive than that and plan my day in advance. I know I have 1300-1400 calories to eat, and I want to have macros around 50P/30C/20F. I've discovered that sticking to that and working out at moderate intensity 6 days a week will usually result in a 2 lb loss. You may have to play with the numbers over the course of several weeks to find your sweet spot. I joined a fantastic Facebook support group that helped me learn to do this consistently. Feel free to friend me; I'm happy to share more! :)

Hi Rebekah.
    I think I deleted your friend request by mistake.
    How do I get it back again?
    I'm so sorry.
    By the way I don't even know what Macros are, never heard of them. Haha
    But for the last two days I've done really well for eating, going over my Base & into the active calories, although I told myself I would ignore them!
    Lisa
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

These calories are within my 1200 not additional ones, I'm really not used to calorie counting, so I'm having meals thinking they sound ok, then get to night time after diary is done from 3 meals a day & find out I have loads left

Pre log

Before dieting/ healthy eating, is that what you mean?
    Well before that I did'nt eat properly, had breakfast, porridge or branflakes then nothing at dinner time or other way around, until tea time when I had a proper cooked meal

No, I mean pre log on a morning what you plan to eat for the day.

To be honest though, surely you know that chicken, veg and a bit of fruit isn't enough food in a day?

Ah right maybe I should start doing that.
    Chicken & veg was my last meal of 3 during the day, although where I think I went wrong today was eating what I thought was a big bowl of mixed fruit for lunch & did'nt really eat much else till I had dinner/tea
    Thankyou for all your replies

A bowl of fruit for lunch........it doesn't sound like you are even coming close to protein or fat goals.
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Pre log

Well before that I did'nt eat properly, had breakfast, porridge or branflakes then nothing at dinner time or other way around, until tea time when I had a proper cooked meal

To be honest though, surely you know that chicken, veg and a bit of fruit isn't enough food in a day?

Chicken & veg was my last meal of 3 during the day, although where I think I went wrong today was eating what I thought was a big bowl of mixed fruit for lunch & did'nt really eat much else till I had dinner/tea

A bowl of fruit for lunch........it doesn't sound like you are even coming close to protein or fat goals.

I made sure I had a sandwich yesterday & today.
    The last two days I've eaten quite well, although I have gone over some of the goals it gives us...still learning how MFP works really, learning something new every day ☺
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Pre log

I made sure I had a sandwich yesterday & today.
    The last two days I've eaten quite well, although I have gone over some of the goals it gives us...still learning how MFP works really, learning something new every day ☺

Sounds good! I takes some time to learn the ropes.

I don't pay close attention to all MFP goals. You can customize these too. I don't track sugar or sodium because I don't have medical issues. But I added fiber to my tracking list, helpful for me.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There's calorie counting and intuitive eating. It can go hand in hand. If I'm not h8ngry, I don't eat. The other day I ate 1100cal and was fine and not hungry. The next day I was starving at 1800. I went to sleep hungry.

I love the days I can eat low cal and not be hungry. I love when my body actually uses its off button. Personally I never eat just to eat, unless the food is so delicious I cannot resist.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There's probably been lots of advice in your life to use cooking sprays and low fat yogurts and such. If you're struggling to reach your calorie goals, but don't really want to add more food, going to the full-fat/flavor versions of things you already eat might help. Dark meat instead of white chicken meat. Extra butter on something. That kind of thing.
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    There's calorie counting and intuitive eating. It can go hand in hand. If I'm not h8ngry, I don't eat. The other day I ate 1100cal and was fine and not hungry. The next day I was starving at 1800. I went to sleep hungry.

I love the days I can eat low cal and not be hungry. I love when my body actually uses its off button. Personally I never eat just to eat, unless the food is so delicious I cannot resist.

That's what I found so odd, I wasn't hungry I was just eating to use calories up & I choose crisp thinking they would bump the number up.
    Glad to hear not everyone uses them up.
    Thanks for commenting
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    There's probably been lots of advice in your life to use cooking sprays and low fat yogurts and such. If you're struggling to reach your calorie goals, but don't really want to add more food, going to the full-fat/flavor versions of things you already eat might help. Dark meat instead of white chicken meat. Extra butter on something. That kind of thing.

That's what I did, well I used crisp, thinking of what you said then 'what you like' that would have been a big block of chocolate but really trying to stay away from it if I can!