Confused about sugar??? Pre diabetes!

Options
debraodu
debraodu Posts: 18 Member
Hi I am on a low sugar diet to bring down my sugar levels pre diabetes. I'm confused about fruit as I thought it was good sugar, being natural. Now it feels like whatever I eat I'm mistakenly consuming sugar - even in cucumbers which I snack on.
I'm confused about how much sugar I can have and also which sugars are ok to consume??!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    debraodu wrote: »
    Hi I am on a low sugar diet to bring down my sugar levels pre diabetes. I'm confused about fruit as I thought it was good sugar, being natural. Now it feels like whatever I eat I'm mistakenly consuming sugar - even in cucumbers which I snack on.
    I'm confused about how much sugar I can have and also which sugars are ok to consume??!

If your doctor put you on this diet, I would speak to them about how low you should go. Did they want to you to reduce all sugars, added sugars, or excessive sugars?

Lots of people eat varying amounts of sugar whether they have diabetes, prediabetes, or no medical conditions. It's going to depend on what you physician/dietitian told you.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Did they not go over that with you while suggesting that? I know lots of people who get info at appointment and they usually have them go to a diabetes education class which goes over those things too on which sugars are good sugars etc
  • debraodu
    Options
    They just said I need to reduce my weight by 10 per cent and reduce by Bmi and sugar levels. I'm testing my levels daily but not sure what I'm doing wrong to cause it to be high
  • debraodu
    Options
    Nope they didn't
  • debraodu
    Options
    I have arranged another appointment with them for clarity but really confused in the meantime
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    debraodu wrote: »
    They just said I need to reduce my weight by 10 per cent and reduce by Bmi and sugar levels. I'm testing my levels daily but not sure what I'm doing wrong to cause it to be high

Most likely reducing your body weight will lower your blood sugars without having to reduce your sugar intake specifically.

Personally, here are the rules I follow (I'm reactive hypoglycemic, so I can get low blood sugars especially after lots of carbs):
    • I don't track sugars specifically, but I do keep an eye on my carbs. I spent a lot of time comparing how I felt to what I ate and when.
    • I try to get most of my foods from whole, nutrient dense foods.
    • I found meal timing that worked best for how I felt (I eat small meals throughout the day, but save most of my calories for dinner).
    • I eat relatively low carb, but I'll make room for treats (my carbs are usually around 150g, but I don't actually have a goal for carbs).
    • I focus on keeping myself feeling satiated so that I can stay within my calorie goal.
    • I've added in exercise as I'm able to help improve my overall health and to give myself a more reasonable calorie goal.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    As a type 2 diabetic for 14 years I'm going to tell you exactly what's going on. You need to lower your carbs. Lowering your carbs will reduce your blood sugar levels to a manageable level. Also by lowering your carbs you will lower your sugar intake. Stay away as best as you can from white bread. Whole grains are much better for diabetics as instead of shooting your blood sugar sky high it levels it out.
    For example I can eat 100 grams of white rice and my blood sugar level be to 185, 2 hours later. I can eat 100g of brown rice and my blood sugar be around 130-140 , 2 hours later.
    Oranges, nectarines and juices are your worst enemy. Apples are great. Make sure your eating fiber and drinking plenty of water. But big thing is reduce your carbs.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should not be counting your sugars specifically. You need to count your carbohydrates (carbs) as they turn into sugar in your blood stream. Fruit is definitely good carbs, much better than a cupcake. But you have to limit your carb intake. If you eat 2,000 calories a day, you should consume about 250 grams of complex carbohydrates per day. A good starting place for people with diabetes (and pre-diabetes) is to have roughly 30 to 45 grams of carbs per meal in you are a woman and 45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal for men and 15 to 30 grams for snacks.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    btodd304 wrote: »
    Did they not go over that with you while suggesting that? I know lots of people who get info at appointment and they usually have them go to a diabetes education class which goes over those things too on which sugars are good sugars etc

My doctor did advise me about added sugars, but did not say anything about reducing natural sugars from fruits or veggies. I feel like those with the fiber are much better for blood sugar than something with added sugars.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, you need to be concerned with a wider view of nutrition than just "sugars". Refined carbohydrates can have just as much of a negative impact on blood glucose & A1C levels as sugars can. If you are to be successful, you need additional, specific nutritional guidance. DO NOT allow yourself to be bummed out and/or give up b/c you can't "use the force" and magically educate yourself. If the physician instructing you to lose the weight didn't give you the info. you need, or direct you to that info., he/she is at fault.............
  • debraodu
    Options
    Thanks some good advice here
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You should join the low carb group. There's many people there who will be able to point you in the right direction.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group