Maintaining during pregnancy

Options
I just found out im 4 weeks pregnant . I was super happy because that was the main reason why i was losing weight so i can get pregnant again in a healthy weight range but now im scared after all the hard work i put in losing 60 pounds in a year, ill gain it back . Any advise from moms who maintained their weight during pregnancy?? Thanks

Replies

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You WANT to gain weight - 35 lbs was the 'healthy amount' you're expected to gain last I checked. Where I went for prenatal care, if you didn't gain at a steady rate for a certain amount of time, you were let go from the center and referred to a hospital (it was a birth center so they only took low risk pregnancies. Not gaining weight while growing a baby becomes a risk to both mother and child). Just keep making good eating choices and understand you'll need to add more calories. You ARE eating for two!

(OTTH, don't do like me and turn to eating whole double-decker pizzas in one sitting several times a week... I actually only gained ~40 lbs during the pregnancy, but it turned into another 50 or so after that)

And, congrats! :)
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I believe the recommended weight gain throughout pregnancy is now 25-35 pounds (assuming you are currently in a healthy weight range). I saw a study recently that indicated that nearly 50% of women gained more than the recommended amount. During your 1st trimester you really do not need to eat over maintenance, and after that aim for 300-500 over maintenance and you should be fine :smile: Best of luck!
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you currently at your goal weight, or are you still overweight?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    During pregnancy you will be looking at a gain of around 28-40lbs, that's completely normal/healthy and the baby needs you to eat at maintenance to grow and be healthy.
    Congrats on your baby joy, just eat at maintenance cals, if you are active, keep on being active and hopefully you'll enjoy an easy pregnancy. :smile:

All the best.

Ruth
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person, i think. I've known some moms that gain 20lbs and that's healthy for them. i on the other hand...gained 65 and I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy. And i exercised every day. Zumba, water aerobics, running and walking. Hiking many miles during vacation. I'm small- 5'3, 135 before pregnancy but i was just hungry all. the. time. I gained 20lbs every trimester. i ate healthy food but also ate junk too. I also had a ton of water weight. I had lost 40 of the 65lbs before I even left the hospital. Maybe took 2-3 months to lose the rest. Breastfeeding made me lose a ton of weight while still eating whatever the heck I wanted, which is helpful when there's no time to cook!
    The next time, I will make more of an effort to cut back on the sweets and empty calories, but I will probably eat to satisfy my hunger again.
    Congrats on your baby!
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    caammph wrote: »

Im at goal weight . 125 pounds at 5-2"

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I didn't maintain, but I only gained 23 lbs (started off at 122) during my pregnancy. I used MFP to keep track of my calories and exercised whenever I could, and didn't eat above maintenance until closer to the third trimester (which is when I gained most of the weight). I'm a week postpartum now and only have 10 lbs left to lose, and my stomach has flattened back out for the most part. Talk it over with your provider at your first appointment and figure out what they recommend. Good luck! :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    caammph wrote: »

Im at goal weight . 125 pounds at 5-2"

Yea there is no way you should maintain your weight during pregnancy. Like others have said 25-40lbs is normal to gain during pregnancy. A lot will come off in the hospital, and it should be easier to drop of the lbs if you choose to breastfeed.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I didn't maintain, but I only gained 23 lbs (started off at 122) during my pregnancy. I used MFP to keep track of my calories and exercised whenever I could, and didn't eat above maintenance until closer to the third trimester (which is when I gained most of the weight). I'm a week postpartum now and only have 10 lbs left to lose, and my stomach has flattened back out for the most part. Talk it over with your provider at your first appointment and figure out what they recommend. Good luck! :)

Wow!! Great job and congrats on LO :)
    If i were to gain 23 pounds this pregnancy that would be awsome compared to my previous 3 (38,40,60 pounds)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant, I was 15 kg overweight.

I was the same weight at 9 months.

My son turned out perfectly.

BUT there is no way you should aim to maintain your weight during pregnancy if you are not at least 30 lbs overweight in the first place. Babies, placenta, and amniotic fluid weigh a lot.
  • T1AMAR1E
    T1AMAR1E Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found out im 4 weeks pregnant . I was super happy because that was the main reason why i was losing weight so i can get pregnant again in a healthy weight range but now im scared after all the hard work i put in losing 60 pounds in a year, ill gain it back . Any advise from moms who maintained their weight during pregnancy?? Thanks

I'm maintaining my weight while pregnant BUT that's because I started my pregnancy overweight! If you are not currently overweight with extra calories to burn for energy I recommend gaining the minimum suggested amount per trimester to stay healthy.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    It was always reccomended to me(3 pregnancies, all healthy, gained way more during the last) that an appropriate gain was 1lb/month for the first 5 months and then 1lb/week from then on as a healthy weight gain. What you need to do is to talk to your health care provider and do as they say. On average that is about 300 extra cal/day to grow a baby. An apple with pb, a glass of milk and raw veggies, a bowl of oatmeal; all these things are approx 300 cal. Easy to add to your daily allowance.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There's no maintaining during pregnancy. You should gain between 15-35lbs depending on your starting weight. Just try and stick to healthier snacks and don't let people (including yourself) push unhealthy food/encourage you to overeat with the excuse that you're "eating for two". This does tend to happen (at least it did with me)...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In another thread you wrote
    5-2
    Cw124
    Gw 120-130

There is absolutely no way you should maintain this weight during your pregnancy.
  • michelleh1983
    michelleh1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Firstly, massive congratulations chick.

I had similar concerns when I got pregnant the same month I hit goal weight. I tried eating at maintaince and swapped gym for walking and yoga and still didn't gain enough to keep my midwife from telling me off. The way I got round it in my own head was I had something every day that I wouldn't record. A smoothie, ice cream or whatever my body was craving which on some days was cake which was obviously was for the baby not me :). A week before due date i had put on 28lbs- Dd3 arrived on her edd and weighed 6lb 12 which is exactly the same as my first daughter so she must've got everything she needed. They say the weight you put on is not just for baby and waters but also there is water retention and fat needed for breastfeeding. I lost over a stone from having her but the rest didn't start shifting for me till she was 2 months old no matter what I did so I believe there's truth in that.
  • michelleh1983
    michelleh1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh and there are trimester calories on fit pal thay you can add to snacks or whatever that give you extra calories as needed. You might find those useful x
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Consult with your OB/Gyn. Don't take anyone else's advice.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    First, CONGRATULATIONS!

You can join the rest of us knocked up chicks in the fit, fabulous, and pregnant group. I'm 8 weeks and on my 3rd baby (hopefully only 1 is in there). Any way, talk to your doctor but everyone is correct. Even if you are starting overweight (like me) you still want to have some kind of gain with pregnancy. For the first trimester you can set yourself to maintain and then add calories for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. In my personal opinion, just try to enjoy it and don't worry about weight gain. Allow treats and eat to nourish baby.

Seriously, the first trimester sucks anyway. At 4 weeks you probably feel pretty good. Wait until weeks 6-7 when the nausea, tiredness, cramps, heartburn and sore nipples kick in. I'm seriously eating what stays down. I feel the best in the morning and early afternoon so I eat super healthy for breakfast and lunch. By dinner I'm sick and tired and eat a bowl of cereal and go to bed at like 8pm.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    fit4itall wrote: »
    There's no maintaining during pregnancy. You should gain between 15-35lbs depending on your starting weight. Just try and stick to healthier snacks and don't let people (including yourself) push unhealthy food/encourage you to overeat with the excuse that you're "eating for two". This does tend to happen (at least it did with me)...

*Edit: I have heard of an OB approving a weightless plan during pregnancy, but this woman was overweight when she conceived. Since you're normal weight and at at maintenance, I'd just try to stick to a healthy diet during the pregnancy so you can hopefully stay within the recommended max weight gain.