Opinion on low carb?

Options
13»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Any opinions or pros/cons?
    What other things work well for long term weight loss?

Long term is about balance and moderation, no gimmicks, fads, or "diets".

Know your TDEE.
    Eat at your TDEE to maintain.
    Eat below you TDEE to lose.
    Do this more often than not for the rest of your life.
    Exercise with strength training and cardio for health.
    Center yourself in mind and spirit.

All of this proves consistent and avoids very big ups and downs.

It really is that simple.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No one should be afraid of carbs!! Your body runs on sugar so you need them! High carb, low fat vegan lifestyle is the best for the body. I don't mean vegan junk food and prosessed vegan foods, but whole foods like rice, potatoes, veggies and fruits. Plus vegan lifestyle makes you feel amazing, and it's better for the whole world! And don't give me that "where do you get your proteins from". Please do some research.

Or you could just eat reasonable amounts of all macronutrients, including carbohydrates AND fat.

Some of us do better on high carb diets. I do. It's how I leaned out and have energy for my workouts and sprints. Low carb wasn't my cup of tea. Tried it and was constantly tired, hungry, cranky, constipated, etc. My mom on the other hand is complete opposite. Low carb is what works for her. She couldnt survive on the way I eat. Everyone is different.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    For some people it works and for others it doesn't.

This about sums it up...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    High carb, low fat vegan lifestyle is the best for the body.

Ah, ok...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    No one should be afraid of carbs!! Your body runs on sugar so you need them! High carb, low fat vegan lifestyle is the best for the body. I don't mean vegan junk food and prosessed vegan foods, but whole foods like rice, potatoes, veggies and fruits. Plus vegan lifestyle makes you feel amazing, and it's better for the whole world! And don't give me that "where do you get your proteins from". Please do some research.

Nonsense. Your body is equally capable of "running" on fat. If you prefer vegan for whatever reason, great, I'm glad you found what works for you, but that doesn't mean it's best for everyone (and the impact on the planet isn't exactly as clear cut as many vegans would like to believe). All that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit, regardless of what types of foods you choose. Yes most people feel better eating minimally processed foods and less "junk", but that's true regardless of dietary framework. Personally I feel best on a diet that incorporates plenty of animal products and limits sugar and starch.

Forget protein, that's easy to come by. I do wonder where vegans get DHA and EPA (conversion of ALA is unpredictable, inefficient, and tends to wane over time), and where vegan children, older folks, and those who are pregnant or nursing get their cholesterol (there are no plant based sources of cholesterol and dietary cholesterol is one of the things that allowed us to develop the large brains that make us human; yes, healthy young adult males are capable of producing all they need and therefore don't require a dietary source, but not everyone is a healthy young adult male).

OP- what dietary framework you decide to use is really a matter of personal preference, nothing more. There are healthy and unhealthy food choices within any way of eating out there. I find LCHF to be easiest and most sustainable for me (been doing it for three years, come July, and have easily kept a healthy weight since the initial 50lb loss). But I have a strong family history of IR, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, heart disease, and Alzheimer's, not to mention a personal history of reactive hypoglycemia - I come from a group of people who just don't handle sugar and starch very well :D. So it's no big surprise that I do better strictly limiting grains, fruit, and starchy veg. You just need to find what works best for you!

I take a vegan DHA, they're easily available online. As far as cholesterol, it's my understanding that studies of vegan populations indicate that we generally have levels that are consistent with health.

Oh yeah, forgot about algae... My bad!

As for cholesterol- Have there ever been any reproducing vegan societies? Not to my knowledge. Most vegans are adults. Have vegan children been studied? What about the elderly? Pregnant and/or lactating women? Those with compromised liver function? All of those groups have higher cholesterol needs (it's essential for brain and nervous system development, hormone production, and cell repair), and may or may not be able to keep up with the need without a dietary source (there is a reason breast milk is so rich in cholesterol, but what happens after weaning, or if lactation doesn't work out?). Lack of dietary cholesterol is one of the things that makes me think vegan isn't the best idea for everyone. Vegetarian isn't so bad (it usually includes some eggs and/or dairy - great sources of cholesterol), and pescetarian would likely have enough, but there simply aren't any plant based sources of cholesterol.

Many Seventh Day Adventists are vegan -- their multi-generational vegan families are often used for some of these studies. These communities include children, the elderly, pregnant/lactating women, and people with compromised liver function (I'm assuming on the last one, not aware of any specific studies on this). Additional studies have also focused on the long-term health of vegan children and the elderly.

Obviously, individual vegans should pay attention to their cholesterol levels, but I don't think *some* individuals having an issue with producing their own cholesterol is a reason for *everyone* to avoid veganism.

Your concern is appreciated, but science-based vegans are already aware of these issues and address them in scholarship and in materials for public consumption.

Seventh day Adventists are definitely vegetarian, but many supplement their diets with eggs or dairy.

That said, I never said people should avoid veganism, I just questioned ThinnerIsMe's assertion that veganism will make "everyone" feel better and that it is "best" for our bodies/health - that's codswallop. Personally I don't believe there is just one optimal way of eating. Veganism is an extremely restrictive lifestyle (it's not just about food either). If you prefer to do that, are happy with it, and are meeting your goals, great! Keep on keepin on! But there are certain nutrients that need to be supplemented or that may not be available at all... Things to consider before starting.

Many do, but some don't. The studies I'm talking about involve the individuals who don't eat dairy or eggs.

I understand that veganism isn't just about food. I've been vegan for over ten years now.

Could you link to those studies?

They were referenced in hard copy books I read at the beginning of my veganism, but I've found veganhealth.org to be a good source for science-based information about veganism. The man who runs it is an RD -- this page contains some information about one of the studies comparing nutrient intake for different groups of Adventists (including vegans and non-vegans): http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/nutrientintakes

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately cholesterol was not one of the nutrients studied, not to mention the mean age of participants was 59 years old, it said nothing about how many young children and pregnant/lactating women were even involved, and it only linked to the abstract. That said, any breastfed baby is by definition not vegan - we all start out eating exclusively animal products (well, we did until the invention of soy formulas anyway). I just have a hard time buying the notion that a diet devoid of animal products (which would have to include breastmilk) is "best" for everyone. At least I can't reconcile that with the often touted notion that "breast is best" lol.

Veganism is an ethical position on unnecessary animal exploitation and suffering. Unless a woman is being forced to lactate, breastfeeding is completely compatible with veganism. Many vegan children begin their lives eating breastmilk.

Is your concern about young children and lactating/pregnant women based on specific studies you've seen about harm in these populations due to lack of cholesterol in their diets?

My concern is based on the fact that babies and young children (until about age 6) have immature livers, yet their brains and nervous systems are growing at a rapid clip. Our offspring are referred to as "neonates" initially because they are so much less developed than other primates are at delivery. A full term baby is born with a brain 25% the size of an adult, a two year old child's brain is rough 75% the size of an adult brain, and a 5 year old's is about 90%, with continued growth and development into the mid twenties. Our bipedal pelvises demand we be born with smaller head circumference, necessitating that we are born pretty underdeveloped. Brains and nervous systems (not to mention hormones) rely on cholesterol for formation. Dietary sources of cholesterol allowed us to evolve into Homo sapiens. Breastmilk (undoubtedly an animal product, "humanely" sourced or not) is rich in cholesterol. However babies begin the process of weaning after just a short time (usually 4-6 months) and most children in the developed world are fully weaned long before the liver reaches maturity. They need a dietary source of cholesterol at that point. I'm not aware of any long term studies of babies and young children fed exclusively vegan diets, and how that might impact brain and nervous system development. My concern is that ThinnerIsMe is telling people that vegan is "best for everyone" when we just don't know that, and it simply doesn't make sense on its face that a diet that includes no animal products would be "best" considering the fact that the only reason we are different than other primates is the fact that we started eating significant quantities of meat (other primates do eat meat, just not as much).

It's one thing to say you eat vegan due to ethical concerns. I can understand your reasoning, even if I don't share that opinion. But saying vegan is the optimal way to eat for everyone? That's a horse of a different color.

I don't believe there is one "optimal" way to eat, but I agree with the The American Dietetic Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics (neither one of which is a vegan/vegetarian organization) that vegan diets can be appropriate for people at all stages of life (including children). There are studies out there on children raised on vegan diets if you're interested in learning more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »

Or you could just eat reasonable amounts of all macronutrients, including carbohydrates AND fat.

Some of us do better on high carb diets. I do. It's how I leaned out and have energy for my workouts and sprints. Low carb wasn't my cup of tea. Tried it and was constantly tired, hungry, cranky, constipated, etc. My mom on the other hand is complete opposite. Low carb is what works for her. She couldnt survive on the way I eat. Everyone is different.

I think there is a big difference between "I feel best on a high carbohydrate diet" (which is your experience and I believe you when you write that) and the blanket statement -- made by the person to whom I was responding -- that a high carbohydrate/low fat diet is best for everyone's body. My personal experience is that I feel and perform better when I'm eating a diet that is higher in fat.

I have no issue with someone choosing to eat higher (or lower) carbohydrates because they know it makes them feel better.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Any opinions or pros/cons?
    What other things work well for long term weight loss?

Calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss.
    Not the foods you do or do not eat...

You can use carb manipulation for certain aspects of things...but that would only be if you were getting ready to step on stage....
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This week I ate 1200 calories per day, 125-150 grams of carb per day, exercised every day, and lost 2 lbs.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between "low carb" and "lower carb". And between "lower pasta/bread/potato chip carb" and "fruit/veggies carb". Well that last one is my own comparison, but it's what works for me. Salty crunch potato chips are impossible for me to eat just a few of, so it's best not to have them around at all. Sometimes I'll go to Subway with my kids and then I'll get the single-serving package of chips, so that's not a big bag sitting in my kitchen.

I'm also bad with chewy soft bread and butter. Again, better not to have that around. In general I've cut back on any carbs coming from bread, pasta, desserts, etc. Not given them up but cut way back. But I'm not paying attention to carbs in vegetables or fruit because those things also have vitamins, minerals, and fiber that pasta or a cookie does not have. True "low carb" people also watch those kind of carbs.

Also, if you go truly low carb you'll probably have to give up beer and that would be sad in the hot summer. ;)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between "low carb" and "lower carb". And between "lower pasta/bread/potato chip carb" and "fruit/veggies carb". Well that last one is my own comparison, but it's what works for me. Salty crunch potato chips are impossible for me to eat just a few of, so it's best not to have them around at all. Sometimes I'll go to Subway with my kids and then I'll get the single-serving package of chips, so that's not a big bag sitting in my kitchen.

I'm also bad with chewy soft bread and butter. Again, better not to have that around. In general I've cut back on any carbs coming from bread, pasta, desserts, etc. Not given them up but cut way back. But I'm not paying attention to carbs in vegetables or fruit because those things also have vitamins, minerals, and fiber that pasta or a cookie does not have. True "low carb" people also watch those kind of carbs.

Also, if you go truly low carb you'll probably have to give up beer and that would be sad in the hot summer. ;)

I eat low carb (not keto, but between 50-80g per day) and find room for a couple beers now and then. Carb count varies by brand/style, but you don't even necessarily need to drink "light" beer. Had a couple Fat Tires the other day, was still under my upper carb limit for the day.