Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/advanced/search/results

Just a quick search. Don't really have time to go through the studies, but it doesn't seem to be outside of the realm of possibilities.

Hey @moe0303 if I click your link, it brings me back to this post. If I copy/paste it, then it takes me to a blank search form. You didn't quote anyone, so I don't know who/which point you're trying to address.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I read, and enjoyed, Lustig's book. It's worth it just for the in depth description of how the human metabolism works. He does not say we need to cut out all sugar. He only says we need to educate ourselves on how much sugar we are taking in and lower it to a reasonable level. He found that doing this helped his many patients, sick children either with endocrine problems due to cancer or chronic obesity, etc. Many of these children were lower income and their parents were not educated on nutrition and bought what was covered by food stamps (that's another "conspiracy" in itself). Too much sugar messes with your hunger/full hormones and is a contributor to chronic obesity.
    I wonder how many people who call Lustig some kind of maniac actually bothered to read his extremely well researched and interesting book...which again does not say you can't ever eat sugar for the rest of your life.

Lustig, the man who can't decide if he thinks if Fructose is toxic for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ6LhzCrPpk

Lustig, the man who apparently once said that sugar is somehow fat and carbs in one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QXFJNKWXs

Are we talking about the same Robert Lustig here?

WOW! Whoever made that first "debunking video" is either really stupid or thinks that everyone else is.

Lustig states, "There is no foodstuff on the planet that has fructose that is poisonous for you, it is all good." He clearly means whole foods from nature, explaining why our bodies and brains love the taste--it's been great for evolution! Until now... when the fructose is removed from the safe source, refined, and increased, yes, it becomes toxic. How is this a hard concept to grasp?
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I read, and enjoyed, Lustig's book. It's worth it just for the in depth description of how the human metabolism works. He does not say we need to cut out all sugar. He only says we need to educate ourselves on how much sugar we are taking in and lower it to a reasonable level. He found that doing this helped his many patients, sick children either with endocrine problems due to cancer or chronic obesity, etc. Many of these children were lower income and their parents were not educated on nutrition and bought what was covered by food stamps (that's another "conspiracy" in itself). Too much sugar messes with your hunger/full hormones and is a contributor to chronic obesity.
    I wonder how many people who call Lustig some kind of maniac actually bothered to read his extremely well researched and interesting book...which again does not say you can't ever eat sugar for the rest of your life.

Lustig, the man who apparently once said that sugar is somehow fat and carbs in one?

WOW! Whoever made that first "debunking video" is either really stupid or thinks that everyone else is.

Lustig states, "There is no foodstuff on the planet that has fructose that is poisonous for you, it is all good." He clearly means whole foods from nature, explaining why our bodies and brains love the taste--it's been great for evolution! Until now... when the fructose is removed from the safe source, refined, and increased, yes, it becomes toxic. How is this a hard concept to grasp?

Because it isn't toxic. How is that a hard concept to grasp?

Seriously, the video "debunks" nothing. Only someone completely ignorant about the issue would think Lustig caught got contradicting himself. Smh.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Seriously, the video "debunks" nothing. Only someone completely ignorant about the issue would think Lustig caught got contradicting himself. Smh.

You didn't answer the question. :)
  • Crisseyda
    Options

Ahahaha. Let's just agree to disagree on that one. I'm with Lustig. You can look at his science. My point was the video is dumb dumb dumb.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Just to play devil's advocate here . . . everything is toxin in the right dosage. I believe part of the point is that by removing, refining, and concentrating it you close in on the toxic dosage.

You're still not close enough to do actual harm, but you are closer.
  • Crisseyda
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/fructose-fruit_b_3694684.htmluni

Telling people fructose is toxic except when it’s in fruit, or carbs are the enemy unless they are in lentils, is a bit like telling people that calories are poisonous (since an excess of them is driving the obesity epidemic) except when found in plain and wholesome food, necessary for survival. Well, then, maybe that first message was just plain wrong! We have decades of experience to teach us that messages needing immediate corrective caveats cultivate nothing but confusion, and forestall the objectives of public health.

I agree, it is confusing. People want easy answers, simple explanations, all or nothing, black or white... maybe it all comes down to lazy thinking, certainty, control, superiority? I don't know. Clearly (as the "debunking" video inadvertently shows), it's not about fructose being all bad or all good. It's about the refinement and processing of food to the point of toxicity... at what point in processing does food become toxic? That's a great question to consider, and something I personally consider when I make my daily food choices for myself and my family.
  • Crisseyda
    edited May 2016
    Options

Ahahaha. Let's just agree to disagree on that one. I'm with Lustig. You can look at his science. My point was the video is dumb dumb dumb.

His science is based on rodent studies, studies with extremely high levels of fructose that aren't good for anyone, and broad (incorrect) generalizations. For example, he claims that fructose in nature is fine becomes it comes with lots of fiber. There's more sugar and less fiber in a banana than in certain granola bars. Based on his logic of fiber being present, which is the better choice, the natural item or the processed one?

Refining and processing sugar does not cause toxicity. Dosage does.

No, he does plenty of studies with humans. Here's a recent one:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-10/uoc--och102115.php
  • Crisseyda
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If not Lustig, do you trust the Mayo Clinic?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150129132918.htm

Recent studies have shown that added sugars, particularly those containing fructose, are a principal driver of diabetes and pre-diabetes, even more so than other carbohydrates. Clinical experts writing in Mayo Clinic Proceedings challenge current dietary guidelines that allow up to 25% of total daily calories as added sugars, and propose drastic reductions in the amount of added sugar, and especially added fructose, people consume.

From the May Clinic proceedings:

Added Fructose
    A Principal Driver of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Its Consequences

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00040-3/abstract
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

His science is based on rodent studies, studies with extremely high levels of fructose that aren't good for anyone, and broad (incorrect) generalizations. For example, he claims that fructose in nature is fine becomes it comes with lots of fiber. There's more sugar and less fiber in a banana than in certain granola bars. Based on his logic of fiber being present, which is the better choice, the natural item or the processed one?

As I said, with human studies, he uses extremely high levels of fructose that we already know are damaging. These kids were getting 28% of their calories from sugar. On a 2000 calorie diet, that's 140g, so approximately 70g of fructose. He still doesn't prove that fructose is harmful in moderate dosage in the context of a balanced diet.

Dosage. Context. These things matter.
  • Crisseyda
    Options

As I said, with human studies, he uses extremely high levels of fructose that we already know are damaging. These kids were getting 28% of their calories from sugar. On a 2000 calorie diet, that's 140g, so approximately 70g of fructose. He still doesn't prove that fructose is harmful in moderate dosage in the context of a balanced diet.

No, you said, "His science is based on rodent studies, studies with extremely high levels of fructose that aren't good for anyone." It's easy to scroll back and read. ;)
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I noticed that 28% figure too. They then limited sugar to 10%, and the kids reported feeling much fuller eating the same amount of calories. That might have surprised the kids, but it shouldn't have surprised the adults.

Plus, these were kids that were already showing health problems related to their high sugar diet. If anything, the improvement in health markers shows that health can improve while consuming a moderate amount of sugar and that too much sugar is the problem.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

No, you said, "His science is based on rodent studies, studies with extremely high levels of fructose that aren't good for anyone." It's easy to scroll back and read. ;)

The comma was meant to separate rodent studies from human studies, but if the best you can do is pick apart my phrasing because you have no real science to stand on, I'll let you have that.
  • Crisseyda
    Options

Here's another epidemiological study he was involved in. Funny thing about this one: he didn't force feed anyone extremely high levels of fructose. Nope, just collected data ;)

Sugar is behind global explosion in type 2 diabetes, study finds
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/27/sugar-obesity-type-2-diabetes

The study:
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0057873
  • Crisseyda
    Options

The comma was meant to separate rodent studies from human studies, but if the best you can do is pick apart my phrasing because you have no real science to stand on, I'll let you have that.

Honey, all I've shared with you so far is what I would call "science." You've given me none. And no response to the Mayo Clinic Proceedings either. I think I understand what's going on here.