How long before you started to see results from strength training?

Options
I've been strength training (free weights, leg press, assisted pull ups) and following a meal plan as advised by trainer for a good 6 weeks now. I haven't yet progressed to squat lifts and deadlifts. I've dropped body fat by 2% and I've noticed an improvement with my stamina. I guess I was expecting to see more of a change in my body. I used to quite like my natural shape and waist to hip ratio. Although I feel fitter, I feel less "shapely" now. I was just wondering how long it took before others, particularly women, could see a noticeable difference from strength training?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I noticed results from compound strength training in that my first day of attempting it was followed by a day of whole-body muscle soreness, and a few days later the same level of compound strength training is not followed by whole-body muscle soreness. I don't have inches and bf% for you. I do kettlebell squats and snatches.
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh I definitely felt sore the day after using a certain muscle group on a machine or weight for the first time. I've finished with my trainer now. I don't feel anywhere near as sore as I used to. Perhaps I need to increase my weights?
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to tell. I had decent abs, quads, and calves before starting lifting heavier. I know I'm sore and stronger, and certain muscles (mostly hamstrings and glutes) look bigger, but that's probably more due to fat loss than muscle gain.

What do you mean by less shapely? I don't gain much fat on my stomach, so when I workout regularly I tend to gain a little in diameter. And I store fat in my hips and thighs, so when I lose weight my waist to hip ratio probably increases. But overall I like my look better. Is that what you're talking about?

It's only been 6 weeks. I'd probably give it at least a few months to decide if something is working for you.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's specifically from strength training or from dropping 55lbs, but I can really see changes in my composition now - so 7 months. I've lost weight before, but didn't really like my shape or how I looked under my clothes (one of the excuses I used to justify gaining it all back). This time I've lifted since day 1 and everything seems to be moving back where it should be. I'm still about 15# "overweight" according to bmi, but you'd never know it just looking at me. I almost don't recognize myself in the mirror. :blush:

As for how I feel, I noticed a change pretty quickly. My endurance skyrocketed and my energy level is still ridiculously high. My metabolism hasn't tanked and I can eat more this time, which probably helps. Again, I can't say it's solely from lifting, but I didn't feel this good last time I lost the weight using diet and running.

Just my experience!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh I definitely felt sore the day after using a certain muscle group on a machine or weight for the first time. I've finished with my trainer now. I don't feel anywhere near as sore as I used to. Perhaps I need to increase my weights?

You should be increasing the overall stress you are placing on your body.

Have you increased weight at all in the past 6 weeks, or increased reps, or total number of sets?
  • fernadele313
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Have you increased weight at all in the past 6 weeks, or increased reps, or total number of sets?

I have not increased weights, reps or sets. I've basically been following plan my trainer set out. But my 6 weeks with with has finished now
  • fernadele313
    Options
    Before and after

pe8qz2wgvp68.jpeg
    1cz9batybm44.jpeg
  • fernadele313
    Options
    ^^ I can't see much of a difference
  • SideSteel
    Options

I have not increased weights, reps or sets. I've basically been following plan my trainer set out. But my 6 weeks with with has finished now

If you wish to continue to make progress in strength or muscle growth you will need to increase the demands you are placing on your body through exercise.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I assume you never weight trained before then? Six weeks is not very long. You may see some increase in strength, but muscle gain takes time.
  • fernadele313
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I assume you never weight trained before then? Six weeks is not very long. You may see some increase in strength, but muscle gain takes time.

No previous weight training. Only cardio abs HIIT workouts with light dumbells for the last year. Perhaps I have expected my body composition to have changed too soon.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

No previous weight training. Only cardio abs HIIT workouts with light dumbells for the last year. Perhaps I have expected my body composition to have changed too soon.

Yeah unless you're eating in a deficit and losing weight during this period you're not going to see rapid changes in your physique. It definitely takes time.

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Just keep "upping" whatever strength program you find pleasureable!
  • nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Looks like your hips/thighs slimmed down which is why you look "less shapely". Im no expert...far from that...but maybe continue working on your legs to bulk those up and it might give you the look u want.
  • ik7112
    ik7112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't train everyday, put the weights away for a month and train using body weight exercises pull ups, press ups etc up the reps and cut down on rest intervals between sets.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Six weeks isn't very long to see body changes unless you're on a pretty agressive deficit which isn't ideal for most people.

Maybe talk to your trainer about incorporating progression into your regime.

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Give it 3 months and you'll definitely see a difference.
    I saw a huge difference after 6 months.
    Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • fernadele313
    Options
    nitesky83 wrote: »
    Looks like your hips/thighs slimmed down which is why you look "less shapely". Im no expert...far from that...but maybe continue working on your legs to bulk those up and it might give you the look u want.

Yes. I'm also avoiding any weighted ab exercises to keep my waist "nipped in".I can't really expect bigger glutes or thighs in just over a month
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I think this is your issue. In order to make and see progress with weights, you need to increase the weight, reps or sets. All weight programs include progressive weight overloads.

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've been going hard since January of this year and am now noticing a sizable difference in muscle mass and body shape. My girl noticed earlier, but now I can definitely tell.

Building muscle is a slow process, unless you're taking drugs, and it takes discipline and persistence. You'll have some newbie gains at first that come on quick, but it will slow down after that.