what do you think about meat?

Options

Replies

• stinkeye111
    stinkeye111 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Vegans always have an ulterior motive for their choice. Humans are omnivores and designed to eat both plants and animals.

I happen to love the taste and texture of meat. I hang an ornament of Saint Anthony, the Patron Saint of Bacon, on my Christmas tree every year.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean by ulterior motive???
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Eating meat has nothing to do with weight gain or loss. I don't eat most meat as I just can't afford the decent, ethically raised cuts of meat, that I want to eat, so don't bother with it at all.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Vegans always have an ulterior motive for their choice. Humans are omnivores and designed to eat both plants and animals.

I happen to love the taste and texture of meat. I hang an ornament of Saint Anthony, the Patron Saint of Bacon, on my Christmas tree every year.

I think he means in many cases they have a reason other than weight loss or health for not eating meat, such as ethical concerns.
  • stinkeye111
    Options
    Well said - jrwms714 !

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Meat is definitely a key part of my diet. It's a great source of protein, particularly as I dislike some of the key plant sources of protein, and it's loaded with iron, B12, and other things I need. If you get lean meat, it's VERY filling for the amount of calories it has. Half a pound of lean ground beef is only about 300 calories, and if you make something with half a pound of meat, you're not going to be hungry again soon.
  • stinkeye111
    Options

I think he means in many cases they have a reason other than weight loss or health for not eating meat, such as ethical concerns.[/quote]

Hi Amusedmonkey - Maybe that is what Mavrick_RN meant----but I think obviously everyone has a reason or preference for eating or not eating certain things -- but I wouldn't call that an "ulterior motive"...just a personal choice.....like jrwms714 said.
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Proteins are great to make you feel full but I actually find it easier to be full now that I'm vegetarian after a big bowl of veggies stir fry!
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of meat, but not so much over the past few years. I became more aware/concerned about the impact raising meat for consumption in the US has on the environment, plus the very real health considerations regarding added hormones in meat. I still eat it sometimes, but probably far less than the average American and I try to be picky about how the animal was raised and where it came from, if I can. Same with dairy and eggs. I still manage to low-carb.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love chicken breast, and I sure do love me some sweet & sour pork. any other kind of meat, I could give or take. I straight up don't like steak.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Meat is a great source of protein and very tasty.... I wouldn't dream of giving it up (unless I HAD to for health reasons.)
    I find when I get plenty of protein I always feel full and feeling full means no temptation to snack.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I think he means in many cases they have a reason other than weight loss or health for not eating meat, such as ethical concerns.

Thank you.

The definition of "ulterior motive" is exactly what I meant. [An alternative or extrinsic reason for doing something, especially when concealed or when differing from the stated or apparent reason.]

• heidi4peaz
    heidi4peaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat meat. I love meat. I believe we have an evolutionary predisposition to eat and metabolize meat. Having said that, I don't think it's a daily dietary necessity. Go back a couple generations and our grandparents and great grandparents didn't eat nearly so much as the average, non-impoverished person does today. I also try to stick to organically raised meats (expensive, but manageable if I don't make it a dietary staple) and I've got a workmate with chickens, who brings me fresh eggs. They're gorgeous! I also live alone, so when I cook, I have loads of left-overs to recycle into other recipes over the week. So, there's that.... If I had a large family to feed it would likely be somewhat different.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm getting picky in my old age, as well as soft.

I have decided if I could catch it, kill it and butcher it then I will eat it.

So that means I no longer eat pork, lamb or beef because quite honestly, I think pigs, sheep and cows are CUUUTTTEEE! And I just want to chase them and hug them like a big hippy dippy.

Turkey, fish and crustaceans I am 100% fine with.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Because I eat more meat, I eat fewer carbs. Since getting on the fitness thing, I've quadrupled my meat intake.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It is great and I eat it every day in moderation and correct portion sizes.
    Oh, and I have lost over 160 pounds and kept it off for over 2-1/2 years.
    Works for me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I care about the impact on the environment and about the way farm animals are treated, but I find maintaining 20% protein important to stay on an even keel and it's difficult for me to get there without meat. I end up eating way too many protein bars. I will only eat beans in quantity when I know I will be alone for the evening, they are unusually magical for me. Maybe it's just psychological but I do crave meat on occasion, and feel better after consuming it. (I have had lifelong low iron levels so it may not be all in my head). I do on occasion pay more money for humanely treated meat. Blue Goose is a brand I can buy at a couple stores in my area. I eat mostly chicken. Beef has fallen into "treat" category at my house, so once every two weeks or so.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My main source's of protein come from Venison, Bear & fish that I procure & process all myself. Mother nature provides my sustenance...