Eating unlimited fruits and vegetables

Options
Can i still lose weight if i fill up on fruit and smoothies all day?

Replies

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    As long as you're on a deficit, yes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you a keeping a deficit then yes you will lose. I'm not sure why you'd want to eat nothing but smoothies though, would get a little boring?
  • Mikestruggle
    Mikestruggle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If i can fill up on smoothies it prevents me from eating junk food. My smoothies are almost always 2 bananas 1 cup of berries and some ice
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You didn't answer if you log your smoothies. 2 bananas and a cup of berries could run close to 300 cals.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If i can fill up on smoothies it prevents me from eating junk food. My smoothies are almost always 2 bananas 1 cup of berries and some ice

Yes, as a guy most likely you can - if two of these are filling you up it is at most 500-600 cals and you are staying active it might not be a problem. If you are drinking much more, no, it's going to be a problem.

What matters is your total intake, not part of your day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If unlimited means you're still within your calorie goal.

Newsflash: Fruit and vegetables have calories.

Oh, and you can put anything in a smoothie.

FALSE!!!!

Apparently, according to my MSN front page, SOME Fruits and veggies have NEGATIVE cals. So according to the article you can eat tonnes of it and it will actually take calories away from the burger lol ;) hahaha made me lol

Oooh! Gimme some! :D
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but smoothies I make end up 400 to 600ish calories each. I'd gain if I had those unlimited.

I treat a smoothie as a dessert or special treat since they are high calorie and not long term filling.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but smoothies I make end up 400 to 600ish calories each. I'd gain if I had those unlimited.

I treat a smoothie as a dessert or special treat since they are high calorie and not long term filling.

I usually do 1 banana (100 cals) 30g flavoured protein (140 cals) and a dollop of plain yogurt (50 cals and about 50 cals of berries or greens).

350 cals or so. With the protein, I find it pretty filling. YMMV.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

I find I can eat lots and lots of veg and not hit my calorie limit, since they are more filling than their actual calories. That's not the case with fruit, although I generally won't want more than 3 pieces of fruit (or the equivalent serving of berries) in a day, and don't love the huge fruits like melons enough to eat all of them, so also eat less than how filling they are to me.

If you love high cal fruits like bananas or go nuts with them or juice high cal fruits, it's quite possible to eat more than you should, though, so I'd track them.

I typically think that I eat unlimited veg, but I track, so I cut other things if my veg would push me over. Unlimited does not mean untracked. I basically do the same with fruit, but wouldn't recommend it for someone really into fruit (I actually like most veg more, although in season strawberries and peaches are hard to resist and I do love a good pear).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. I prelogged 450 calories from fruits and vegetables so far today (and I'll probably have another 150ish more for dessert). My calorie deficit each day is only about 250-300 calories, so if I didn't count the calories from my fruits/vegetables I would be gaining weight (at a rate of about a half pound gained per week) instead of losing.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Fruit is ridiculously high in calories and they add up quickly especially when blended into a decent sized smoothie.
    I get the drift - if you eat above your calories you will get fat. But don't steer clear of fruit and milk. A 200ml whole milk smoothie with 100gms of fresh fruit is a great breakfast. It's not a snack though! (Sorry about the metric - I'm English)
    Salads like cucumber, celery and leaves are very low in calories so I'd say go ahead and munch!
    Best of luck.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Can i still lose weight if i fill up on fruit and smoothies all day?

Calories are king. Smoothies can have A LOT of calories in them. Fruits add up, too.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

Nutritionally that's better than junk food. Calorie wise that all depends. What you're describing here is as many calories as I eat for lunch.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

FALSE!!!!

Apparently, according to my MSN front page, SOME Fruits and veggies have NEGATIVE cals. So according to the article you can eat tonnes of it and it will actually take calories away from the burger lol ;) hahaha made me lol

Oooh! Gimme some! :D

You asked :)
    foodiejunky.com/8-negative-calorie-foods-what-should-you-be-eating/

Sure, negative calories in a vacuum. In reality, nope.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with 'junk' food every now and then. I lost over 80lbs including so called junk. I just see all food as energy.

But unlimited fruits and veg? Nah. You could easily gain weight eating more than your maintenance calories of fruit and veg every day. still weigh and log the fruits and veg. Include fat and protein sources, too.

FALSE!!!!

Too funny! I am glad I finished my diet coke before I read this.
    Negative calorie... *snort*