Peanut Butter & Jelly

Options
webbz92
webbz92 Posts: 38 Member
I've always been fond of Pb & jelly sandwiches. However, since I've been making an effort to eat healthy and eat clean, I'm having a hard time finding healthy options. Ive started making half sandwiches instead of using two slices of bread. I've changed to Daves Killer whole wheat bread. I've tried Pb2, not very fond of the taste, though. So far I haven't found a reasonably healthy peanut butter or jelly. What brands do y'all use? The fewer ingredients the better and preferably no artificial or man made ingredients/ chemicals.

Replies

• mekikya
    mekikya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use Aldi's brand of natural peanut butter, to me it tastes the best. I just carefully measure my jelly and peanut butter. 1 TBSP of peanut butter and 1 tsp of jelly. Not many calories if you get the good jelly that not pure sugar.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Adam's brand peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. That might work.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Yikes people! There's nothing wrong with OP searching out foods that she believes might be more healthful than her previous choices. Let's not get hung up on her use of the term "clean". Many here experimented with "clean diets" for a while before settling into broader habits. Nothing wrong with that, especially since she's not evangelizing her particular choices.

Who said there was anything wrong? :huh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Yikes people! There's nothing wrong with OP searching out foods that she believes might be more healthful than her previous choices. Let's not get hung up on her use of the term "clean". Many here experimented with "clean diets" for a while before settling into broader habits. Nothing wrong with that, especially since she's not evangelizing her particular choices.

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been since.

That's quite a reach.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been since.

That's quite a reach.

Ok.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Adam's brand peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. That might work.

That would be my vote. I love Adam's.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been sincere.

What the frig is a scare quote??? :huh: :laugh:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Peanut Butter and jelly or jam with a glass of milk ... yummy but doesn't stay with me for very long. Still, there is always some in the house. I prefer the jams that are made with fruit juice and pectin instead of sugar if I'm buying it at the store, but truth be told, Welch's Grape Jelly has always been my favorite with peanut butter. For that, I like Jiff peanut butter.

Did you ever try this ... grated carrot and peanut butter sandwich on toasted bread? One medium carrot grated on a box graters large holes, piled between two regular sized (small) slices of bread that are toasted and 'buttered' with peanut butter ... tastes good. ....It also comes together fast ... by the time the bread toasts, the carrot gets rinsed and grated.
  • webbz92
    webbz92 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Peanut Butter and jelly or jam with a glass of milk ... yummy but doesn't stay with me for very long. Still, there is always some in the house. I prefer the jams that are made with fruit juice and pectin instead of sugar if I'm buying it at the store, but truth be told, Welch's Grape Jelly has always been my favorite with peanut butter. For that, I like Jiff peanut butter.

Did you ever try this ... grated carrot and peanut butter sandwich on toasted bread? ! carrot gratged on the box grater and piled onto the smear of peanut butter between tow small slices of bread taste better than jelly or jam.

I've never tried carrots and pb together. But I'm interested in trying it now. That's sounds like a healthy snack. Thank you for the helpful suggestion.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been sincere.

What the frig is a scare quote??? :huh: :laugh:

You're right. I should have said the quotes are there to imply sarcasm.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The thing I do not enjoy about most natural, keep 'em in the fridge, stir 'em up before use, peanut butters is they don't add sugar or high fructose corn syrup, and the taste just is not the same to me without that added sugar. I love a good PB&J, so my solution is to have them only on rare occasions then just enjoy the indulgence. You may wish to check out the nutrition info on sunflower seed butters - I find them to be delicious, and they may meet your criteria for healthier.