Peanut Butter & Jelly

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    Also make your own jelly and bread.

I just remembered that I have yeast in the pantry. Now I need to go make bread. :P
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    edited May 2016
    OP, can I ask what you feel is unhealthy about peanut butter? In some of these "all natural" jars, the calories and macros are even higher.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Also make your own jelly and bread.

I just remembered that I have yeast in the pantry. Now I need to go make bread. :P

Make sure it's still good or you won't get a good proof. Yeast keeps better in the fridge. ;)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Eziekiel bread - Trader Joes or Whole Foods
    Organic peanut butter from Trader Joes
    Organic fruit preserves from Trader Joes
    (You can get no salt peanut butter from TJ's)

Both places have it where u can grind the peanuts fresh into butter
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    If by 'healthy' you mean 'lower calorie' I think you're going to be out of luck, since peanut butter is just high in calories by nature. All that delicious fatty goodness, mmm :)

I don't eat sandwiches nearly as much as I used to but I quite enjoy peanut butter and jam oatmeal. I make it with water, about 1/3 cup of oats, cinnamon, and cocoa powder, and when it's cooked mix in PB2 (for some extra protein and peanut flavour), a varying amount of Kirkland brand natural peanut butter, and a tablespoon of high-fruit low-sugar raspberry jam. It's like eating a bowl of peanut butter and jam sandwich but waaaaay more filling. Depending on the add-ins it's about 300-400 calories but it's one of the few breakfasts that keeps me full all morning.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016

JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Yikes people! There's nothing wrong with OP searching out foods that she believes might be more healthful than her previous choices. Let's not get hung up on her use of the term "clean". Many here experimented with "clean diets" for a while before settling into broader habits. Nothing wrong with that, especially since she's not evangelizing her particular choices.

Who said there was anything wrong? :huh:

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been sincere.

What the frig is a scare quote??? :huh: :laugh:

You're right. I should have said the quotes are there to imply sarcasm.

The reason I put unhealthy in quotes was because OP said is there a healthy way of doing pb&j sandwiches... to me peanut butter is a delicious sauce of fat and a bit of protein. If it fits my macros and calories then it's not unhealthy in any way, shape or form.

No sarcasm there, I think that's your issues affecting your perception of people's responses...

Could be, but it's not. Glad to know you meant to be helpful. Your explanation here adds some good info to your original post.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    There are different brands of all natural peanut butters, just read the labels to find one that contains only peanuts and maybe salt. You will have to stir them the first time you open the jar since the oil rises to the top, although some people recommend turning the jar upside down for some time before opening.

To name a specific brand, Smuckers makes a good one. :)

Yep, I like the Adam's "all natural" brand someone else mentioned, just peanuts and salt. It has a good inch or so of oil on the top, but I empty the entire jar into a bowl and just beat it with a spoon until all the oil is mixed in, then pour it back into the jar and store it in the fridge. It's a bit messy doing it that way, but it doesn't seem to separate out again!

Also, has anyone tried peanut butter sandwiches with chopped onion added? My hubby got me onto that and it sounded gross, but it's sooo good! I hear that PB and bacon is also good, but haven't tried that. Like @Linzon, I don't eat sandwiches much these days - in my case, because the bread just has too many calories to be worth it even though I luuuurve bread! (I've actually never had a PB&J sandwich, but that oatmeal does sound good so I might have to try something similar! :) )
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I'm pretty sure a peanut butter and jam sandwich is a healthy thing to eat.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Yikes people! There's nothing wrong with OP searching out foods that she believes might be more healthful than her previous choices. Let's not get hung up on her use of the term "clean". Many here experimented with "clean diets" for a while before settling into broader habits. Nothing wrong with that, especially since she's not evangelizing her particular choices.

Who said there was anything wrong? :huh:

Scare quotes around "unhealthy", references to a train wreck and telling her to make her own rather than answering the question, but I suppose the votes for homemade things might have been sincere.

Clean eating is a fine rule of thumb but it loses its usefulness when people start hand wringing over whether something as basic as a PB&J is "clean" or how to modify it to make it "clean." The questions that the OP would be wise to be asking herself are not how to make it "clean" but whether the fat and carbs fit her daily macros, whether she has room for the calories, and whether such a sandwich is crowding out more protein, fiber or micronutrient dense foods. Chasing clean can be a bit of a chimera in this context. To be clear, I'm not trashing the term clean eating but it is of very limited use as food selection guidance. And yes, these threads can turn into train wrecks.

Good point. And thanks for clearing up you point about train wrecks. I misread it as if you were saying OP's quest for different ingredients was a train wreck.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Aldi organic and TJ Valencia are my favorite pbs. If you have neither store near you, smuckers natural is good too.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    I'm among those who doesn't worry too much about what's in the peanut butter. If I have a bit more than 400 calories to spend, I'll make a full-bore PBJ with whole-wheat bread and artificially sweetened fruit jelly/jam. :)

I'll note, though, that it really is easy to make your own with a food processor and a big jar of roasted (or, if you prefer it, dry roasted) peanuts. I haven't made peanut butter but have made cashew butter. For $12 at Costo, I can get enough cashews to make about 3 or 4 times as much cashew butter as I'd get ready made for $8 a jar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm thinking that by looking for a 'healthier' brand of PB, you're looking for lower calorie. Thing is, peanuts are high calorie. A brand which is nothing but mushed up nuts will be very high calorie. A brand that has all sorts of additives to bring down the calorie content - well, 'healthier' on that point is a big matter of debate.

Same with jelly. The more 'natural' it is, the higher in sugar. because fruit, y'know? The lower cal options will have artificial sweetners and some people don't mind them, some do.

My point being - healthier is a relative term and means different things to different people. I would personally, find the brands that taste the best to me, and make them fit in my day where I could.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The one good thing about the natural peanut butters is I don't tend to over do it with them, aka eat straight out of the jar with a big ol spoon.. Because they just don't taste as good as the regular kind, no added salt or sugar = bland. The calories are the same, sometimes higher in the natural PB's.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    To name a specific brand, Smuckers makes a good one. :)

Smuckers Natural (ingredients: peanuts, salt) is my go-too PB. Not because I think it's healthier, but because I think it tastes better (more peanut-y). Plus I use it in a lot of dishes where I don't want it to taste sweet.
    Oh, and why not try sliced fruit instead of jelly?

In addition to bananas and apple that other people have mentioned, if I have fresh berries I use those instead of jelly in a PB&"J" (not because I think it makes a big difference to my health, but because it tastes good, and the berries need to be eaten before they go bad, and the jelly will keep indefinitely). (BTW, for any confused Brits, "jelly" in the U.S. means a fruit preserve similar to jam, but made only from the fruit juice and no fruit solids, whereas jam does have fruit solids. We are not putting slices of wiggly dessert between two slices of bread with peanut butter.)
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Did you ever try this ... grated carrot and peanut butter sandwich on toasted bread? One medium carrot grated on a box graters large holes, piled between two regular sized (small) slices of bread that are toasted and 'buttered' with peanut butter ... tastes good. ....It also comes together fast ... by the time the bread toasts, the carrot gets rinsed and grated.

This got me thinking that peanut butter might go well with cucumbers and/or bell peppers in a sandwich (maybe open-faced, since it's hard to get cucumbers dry so they won't make the bread mushy) -- I add cucumbers and bell peppers to noodles with spicy peanut butter sauce all the time (for the crunch and color and fiber and vitamins).

The thing I do not enjoy about most natural, keep 'em in the fridge, stir 'em up before use, peanut butters is they don't add sugar or high fructose corn syrup, and the taste just is not the same to me without that added sugar. I love a good PB&J, so my solution is to have them only on rare occasions then just enjoy the indulgence. You may wish to check out the nutrition info on sunflower seed butters - I find them to be delicious, and they may meet your criteria for healthier.

I don't keep mine in the fridge, and if it takes more than a quick stir each time you reopen the jar, after the first big stir, you're doing something wrong (mostly, you're not eating your peanut butter fast enough :wink: )

(Must avoid being snide and saying if you don't like it without added sugar or corn syrup, you really don't like peanut butter, and might as well stick to cookie butter. Because everyone's entitled to their own completely wrong opinions about sugar in peanut butter. :smile: )
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I'm just here to vote for Jif creamy peanut butter and nix the jelly.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I use teddies all natural unsalted peanut butter and polaner all fruit seedless raspberry or strawberry. Yummy.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm just here to vote for Jif creamy peanut butter and nix the jelly.

My favorite for 60+ years, except I do like my home made raspberry jam with it. I just eat less of both than used to (no grabbing the jar and a spoon and having a go while watching the tube).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm just here to vote for Jif creamy crunchy peanut butter and nix the jelly.

FIFY. :D
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    You could try peanut butter with strawberry slices or banana slices.