Will I gain weight from 5 fudge bars?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I assumed she was talking about Cadbury fudge bars. They're dinky little things, about the size of a single Twix finger.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Maybe not, though. Website gives their calories as 114 each.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Fudge bars would be better than sucking up raw eggs for dinner. Please get well soon and take a break from restricting until you're healed.

Just eat maintenance for a couple of weeks. You won't gain and happily be giving yourself the calories you need to mend your mouth. :)<3
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    This has actually made me wonder what the deal is with wisdom teeth. I keep reading about how is this major thing that you get general anaesthetic for and it takes weeks to recover, but I've had 3 out and it didn't seem to be a big deal at all, local anaesthetic for the upper one, light sedation for the lower ones (I was aware and remember, just didn't care much), recovery was pretty quick. Generally better than a filling as no drilling! Makes me wonder what makes the difference between my experience and these long, difficult recoveries.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    This has actually made me wonder what the deal is with wisdom teeth. I keep reading about how is this major thing that you get general anaesthetic for and it takes weeks to recover, but I've had 3 out and it didn't seem to be a big deal at all, local anaesthetic for the upper one, light sedation for the lower ones (I was aware and remember, just didn't care much), recovery was pretty quick. Generally better than a filling as no drilling! Makes me wonder what makes the difference between my experience and these long, difficult recoveries.

I think some people have wisdom teeth that do not properly descend, so they almost need cutting out of the jaw.

Me - I was born with none. I'm grateful, as I have a small mouth with a lot of stressful orthodontic treatment that would've been destroyed had wisdom teeth come through.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Ah, have actually looked this up now.

It seems to be related to preventive removal of teeth that haven't erupted yet, or are unable to erupt. That's apparently a major surgery with a lot of possible complications but is routinely done in the USA.

We don't do that in the UK. We wait and see. If the tooth erupts, and develops problems, it's a straightforward extraction. If it never erupts it's a non issue. Three of mine erupted, got cavities because of their bad position and got pulled. The fourth is still there under the gum, minding its own business. I doubt it'll come out now, I've missed my chance to develop wisdom.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ah, have actually looked this up now.

It seems to be related to preventive removal of teeth that haven't erupted yet, or are unable to erupt. That's apparently a major surgery with a lot of possible complications but is routinely done in the USA.

We don't do that in the UK. We wait and see. If the tooth erupts, and develops problems, it's a straightforward extraction. If it never erupts it's a non issue. Three of mine erupted, got cavities because of their bad position and got pulled. The fourth is still there under the gum, minding its own business. I doubt it'll come out now, I've missed my chance to develop wisdom.

It depends. Sort of. I only had bottom wisdom teeth, and they were both very impacted and not going anywhere. Nobody ever pushed me to remove them. It's only when I decided to get braces to fix my front teeth 2 years ago (at 36) that they told me that I had to remove them first, as they could potentially start moving/undo all the orthodontic work later on.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    Bullshizzle. I had my wisdom teeth out AND a bad root canal pulled. My mouth was literally stitches. I ate yogurt, soup and jello. So go ahead and eat 5 more bars and try to justify it. It doesn't fly with me. If you gain weight don't whine about it.

Why so miserable?? Why does someone else's food choices has to "fly with you"? Go eat a cookie and stop being so mean.....

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Were yours impacted? Likely not. All four of mine were impacted - was put under semi-conscious sedation (Demerol) and they cut the gums, crushed the teeth, and pulled them out piece by piece. I didn't eat at all the first 24 hours (the post surgery Vicodin made me sleepy), and then only soft foods for a few days (I recall jello, soup, scrambled eggs, and applesauce). I developed two dry sockets that had to be packed with gauze so it took me a bit longer to fully heal than most (I was 17, stupid, and smoked cigarettes before I was allowed to post procedure).

ETA - saw your follow up post- the trouble with waiting for them to erupt is two things really - first, if you don't have room for them, they can crowd your other teeth causing more issues than if you just have them removed, and second, if they are impacted (coming in sideways, basically) they can cause a lot of pain while you wait for them to come out). Mine weren't yet bothering me, but the oral surgeon was pretty confident that it was just a matter of time before they would start messing up my mouth. I was a teenager and had coverage under my parents dental and medical plans so it made sense to take care of them then, rather than wait and have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I remember being so hungry that I put together a bowl of mashed beans, avocado, sour cream, and a little salsa. It was delicious, but I got about 1/4 of the way through before I couldn't eat any more. Lol. I should have eaten fudge bars, though
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Mine weren't impacted, but I was getting terrible infections in the hole that the partially erupted one had made in my gum. So they decided it would be best to remove all three before I got a serious infection, even though I was taking precautions (antibacterial mouth rinses after every meal, etc).

I went under for it and it was the least pleasant experience of my life. I loathe not being in control of my faculties.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Er, that's not true, maybe you don't *know* anyone who's had them extracted when they've not erupted, but it definitely happens. Mine were done in hospital, under GA, on the NHS. My bottom two were impacted and needed breaking up to remove and top two were taken out because they were likely to get cavities as they weren't matched on the bottom. Also the root of one of the bottom ones was growing around one of my nerves, giving me tingles and potential for pain later on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Arrgggh this thread is making me cringe. I need anesthetic injections to have my teeth cleaned, I'm such a wuss when it comes to the dentist. They petrify me :anguished:
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Arrgggh this thread is making me cringe. I need anesthetic injections to have my teeth cleaned, I'm such a wuss when it comes to the dentist. They petrify me :anguished:

I hate the cleanings too, something about the scraping and the textures. I get the nitrous and that works for me.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I hear you. I ended up having a tooth breaking while on vacations and needing a root canal because I didn't go for too long! Then I didn't learn my lesson and ended up with gum disease because I once again didn't go for too long... that required my hygienist to dig into my gums to get all the bacteria out. Good times.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All 4 of my wisdom teeth erupted, none were impacted. One got infected so the dentist recommended getting all 4 removed in one shot "just in case". I had all of them removed with local and sedation because I was scared of general. All I remember of the procedure was a nurse holding my head down and music. I recovered really well, not too much pain, no complications.

But dental cleanings, forget it! I try to crawl out of the chair every time
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Haha my dentist is always fascinated at the pulse in my neck, he said it's beating so fast and strong he's scared i'm going to have a heart attack lol