Weekly grocery bill

Options

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm in New Jersey in an affluent area. We aren't affluent, we just rent here.
    I spend about $800 a month on groceries. This includes all of our breakfasts lunches (I eat at home, husband brings his lunch) and dinners. We eat out maybe 1x a week. I shop at the least expensive supermarket usually 2x a week as we're always running out of something. The $800 also includes cat food and cat litter for 2 cats :)
    When we lived in a different part of the state prices were a little lower, and I had ready access to a Trader Joes and probably spent a bit less.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have found if you buy whole foods like produce, nuts, some dairy, and meat it's not more expensive than other processed groceries. Of course it's more time consuming with prep and cooking, but I think the end result tastes better and is more gratifying. I try to hit sales - Whole Foods will do organic mangoes 10/$10 and will purchase a couple of ripe and mostly unripe fruits so they last longer, same for avocados. Organic carrots and loose bulk kale are pretty inexpensive per pound. I avoid prebagged items like salad and apples. Harris Teeter does awesome sales on organic berries. I will buy several pounds and prep them when I get home. Some of them I will freeze. Organic cheese is another one I will wait until it's on sale, find coupons, and buy in bulk. Shredded cheese is great in the freezer, and doesn't need to be thawed to use. Same with meat - buy in bulk on sale and freeze. Fresh raw nuts are also a great option, and fresh organic 1 ingredient peanut butter is pure heaven. I wait until those items go on sale and stock up - both are also very versitile. I've found apps like Ibotta and Checkout 21 offer rebates on several of these items, including produce, nuts, eggs, and milk. Saving Star also offers produce rebates, but you have to make sure you get it at a store they are partnered with (i.e. Harris Teeter, not Whole Foods). We also buy a case of macro bars a week which are great for quick snacks. Our grocery bill is usually $100/week, but often includes our water (18 gal $.38/gal), a suppliment (I take a multivitamin, magnesium, and a vitamin b complex, usually one of those is on sale with coupons so I will get a couple of containers). Other things that are relatively inexpensive and versitile are organic steel cut oats (Red Mill) - when on sale with coupons it comes out 1.25 for 2 lbs at Harris Teeter. Harris Teeter will double coupons that are .99 or less, but sometime will double coupons $2 or less which provides a lot of free shopping. Some decent coupon site for organic items are Common Kindness, Hopster, and LOZO is good to track down any coupons that are current (it's a database you can query - and they will provide links to printable coupons). Farvado is a good app to check weekly sales, and they also will let you know which coupons are available and their sources. Feel free to hit me up if you have questions or want more info.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    @WBB55 - I tried to pm you but the app doesn't let me. Your post is AWSOME! Thx for sharing. I'm a math geek so now I have some number to crunch lol.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    So much good advice here. I plan meals based on what is on sale, batch cook a lot, and also plan meals based on what fresh produce is in my fridge so nothing goes to waste. I cook all meals from scratch.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    @WBB55 - I tried to pm you but the app doesn't let me. Your post is AWSOME! Thx for sharing. I'm a math geek so now I have some number to crunch lol.

aww shux. You should be able to message me, but I don't usually respond to much PMs.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Family of 4 in Canada (but pretty far north). We spend $1000-1300/month on groceries. Usually $250-400 at Costco every 2 weeks, depending on which items we need to restock. Then smaller trips to the regular grocery store for yogurt, milk, and bread as we run out. We go out to eat 0-6 times a month.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When we're at the top of our game, we spend £50/week on groceries for 2 adults and 1 7 year old. This includes things like toilet paper and detergents but does not include eating out.

Our tricks are:

- Always use a list
    - Keep a standard list in the house that you can use to make your weekly shopping list from. This is a list of items you must have in the cupboards, and from which you can make basic meals to last a week.
    - always tally shopping as you go, either with a calculator or manually - I round up to the nearest 5p to make this easier.
    - Use cash. We take the grocery money out weekly. Having cash in hand makes it easier psychologically to not overspend.
    - Only shop once a week, no cheat trips in between, and never shop when hungry.
    - Less meat. Our standard list has no meat on it, just things like beans, lentils, dairy for protein. We only buy meat if we have money over after the basics.
    - German discount stores are the BOMB. I love Lidl in particular but Aldi as also awesome and is expanding into a lot of countries. Honestly, if not for Lidl and Aldi, we could not live on this budget. They are a bit odd (lovably eccentric) but once you get used to them you will never go back.

Also, this stuff takes practice. When we started budgeting, we had a higher grocery allowance, and have gradually shaved it down as we got smarter and better at it. And we eat well - it isn't all beans and rice, and we can fit meat in most weeks, often a big joint for the slow cooker which stretches really well. It makes money for trips, for fun things, and for savings. Budgeting is awesome.

(obviously how low you can go depends on food prices in your area and how practised a cook you are - YMMV).

ETA I'm in Scotland. Not sure if the exchange rate now - I think £50 is around $75 ish?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We spend for 2 people around £200 a month (though I'm not good at racking). but that doesn't include the £100 on alcohol on payday ;) or the once weekly meal out or our food for work.

I do my drinks order from Asda then food shopping from Tesco, Morrisons and Iceland

From next month aiming for 2 food deliveries a month @ £50-60 a time.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We barely do it. We coupon, compare ads, and buy what's on sale. We spend 200-260 a month for a family of four
  • delineationfiguration
    delineationfiguration Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We cook most dinners from scratch. We spend £400 per month for two adults and two children, aged 6 and 10 (this is actually a little above the average spend for a four-person family). My tips:
    • Cook double, triple or however many portions and freeze all but one for the following week(s).
    • Snacks for children on weekdays can be cut up cheese (not the pre-packed stuff aimed at them), left-over vegetables and fruit. We keep staples of peppers, cucumber, apples, bananas, carrots and plum tomatoes.
    • Buy big hunks of meat and break them down yourself.
    • Plan out three-four meals at a time. I know a lot of people go for weekly shops, but that created waste for us - as life sometimes gets in the way.
    • Buy potatoes, rice and dried pasta in big portions. It keeps.
    • Bulk up protein with beans and lentils.
  • _cadaverousbones_
    _cadaverousbones_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all, look for coupons and specials at the grocery store. Second, make sure you are shopping at a cheaper grocery store. Some grocery stores are really expensive. Buy fruits/veggies that are in season because they will be cheaper. Get meat from the meat guy in the grocery store, it is usually way cheaper than the prepackaged meat. For example the chicken was 1.88 a lb for boneless/skinless from the meat guy, and was like 5.99 a pound prepackaged. Buy stuff like rice/beans etc in bulk. Also canned beans, tomato sauce, etc is usually pretty cheap as well. Look up the dirty dozen list it is a list of stuff you should buy organic, you dont have to buy EVERYTHING organic just the stuff that is mostly sprayed with pesticides. Stop eating out to eat as much. Maybe only eat out to eat once or twice a month and look for specials/deals at the restaurant you go out to eat at. You will save SO MUCH MONEY if you cut out fast food/starbucks etc.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel ripped off!!! I am in Perth Western Australia we are a family of 6 and I do menu plans and shopping lists.
    Our weekly spend is $250 a week not including my husbands lunches. I can't cut anything else out
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cutting out ordering in,take out, eating out etc is always a big saver. Where we live in BC, a large pizza and order of wings, after tipping the driver is ~$45.00 Do that twice in a month and that literally buys enough chicken breasts to feed me and my wife for the entire month. Toss in 3-4 stops at a burger joint each month at around $90 combined buys all of the rice/veg/oatmeal/egg whites/fish to round out our menu.

Stop buying ice cream/pop/sugary snacks/chips=money for protein powder/supplements (optional of course).

Even with some extra money for protein that we use I estimate we will cut our food expenditures by 50% this month.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know that most folks throw out far too much food. Be careful about best before dates. They are there to protect the producer, not you. Freeze stuff that is getting close if you can't use it. We freeze or reuse leftovers for lunches as much as possible. If food is fully cooked and in the fridge it will be good for longer than you probably think. Waste is probably one of the biggest areas you can manage directly.

Eat by the season if you can. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies and we gorged on it when it was fresh and local and frankly 1/3 of the cost of the imports that you get in the winter. And again, freeze a bunch for later. We garden and do about 100 dozen ears of corn. Guess where it goes...we don't buy much corn in the winter. But I know not everyone has that opportunity. Use items that never get too expensive. Cabbage is usually always cheap and works in soups, stir fry, salads, slows... Stretch meats where you can as far as you can.

Learn to cook. This may sound insulting and I apologize of it does, it's not my intent. But if we make mashed potatoes, left overs will be made into potato pancakes or gnocchi or bubble and squeak or something like that. Knowing how to utilize leftovers in a manner that transforms them into something that is better can help stretch things much further. And we expect a day a week or more to be leftovers.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio with a husband and 9 yo daughter. We spend around what you do, OP. I could get it down if I really tried but that amount doesn't bother me.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    2 adults $60 per week, but never eat out except once year on birthdays...
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    But very frugal, Walmart, dollar store and grocery outlet..
  • hummingbird92548
    hummingbird92548 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My first thought was I'll trade you. I get 94 in food stamps and have another$50 max that I can spend on groceries if I don't have to buy medicine. Eating healthy food on this amount is very difficult. Any suggestions.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Two adults anc two children in Ohio anc we spend $300-$400 per month. I plan my meals around what's on sale and buy and freeze meat when it's on a good sale. I also utilize a loca farmers market that has ridiculously cheap produce. Finally, I compare ads and usually hit 3-4 stores to get what I need. (All are nearby each other so I'm not wasting gas)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    424a57 wrote: »
    Reading through this topic is amazing. You guys are amazing to eat on $500-$800 per month. My family of 4 adults (in Southern California) spends over $1500 per month on food (groceries, restaurants, fast food).

From your perspective @424a57, why is that? Lots of eating out? Food generally more expensive where you live? Throw out food a lot? Eat truffles/foie gras a lot? Life standard (costs and salaries) double that of other states? Just curious, I am not in the US so wondering what a double (or triple) difference can come from.

@Wiseandcurious - My guess would be that $1500 includes "groceries, restaurants and fast food" One night at a restaurant for a family of four would be a minimum of $40 up to probably $100-150. A fast food night can add up quick too.

I don't grocery shop but a fantastic website is the cheapskates club. http://www.cheapskatesclub.net/ They have heaps of cheap dinner recipes & do a $300/month grocery challenge.