How much left to lose???

Hey there. I swear half my issue with gaining a bit of weight is that my metabolism is starting to slow down. Either way, I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than I was last year. I'm not big (134 lbs.), but I feel and think I look my best around 122-124. Anyone else working on losing those last 10 lbs. or so? Or anyone else who's never really been overweight trying to lost those last few pounds that crept on some how. Where are you at and where do you want to be? What are you doing to try to lose those last few???

Replies

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I'm down to my last 5 pounds and damn is it hard! I was never overweight either, then got put on an atypical antipsychotic and gained 30 pounds. I was at 110 for years and years before the weight gain, currently fluctuating around 112-115 so almost there!! just want to weight in at 110 once before I make the switch to trying to figure out my maintenance calories. I'm just trying to eat within my deficit and eat back half my exercise calories because what else are you going to do?
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    I'm 1 lb away from my original goal of 120 lbs. I still can't fit in my size 4 jeans so I'll likely keep a small deficit until I get there. The last 10 lbs were not any harder to lose, but since you burn less calories the lighter you are you need to make adjustments. Like what was said a food scale is key! It also helps to have an idea of your TDEE either through a Fitbit, TDEE calculator or from trend weight. I also have hypothyroidism and it hasn't been any more difficult, you just have to weigh and log your food.
  • domisgone
    domisgone Posts: 59 Member
    I've lost 20 since September but I also used to weigh 200lbs.... I'm down now to 130lb.... And I would like to lose ten more but it's more about toning up then losing weight. And I know gaining muscle will increase my weight...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    1 ... maybe 2 kg ... to go. :)

But the thing is, I'm in the lower half of my normal BMI range (20.4), and at the lowest weight I've been since about 2004 ... so I haven't been trying too hard.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    hokiemom14 wrote: »
    Hey there. I swear half my issue with gaining a bit of weight is that my metabolism is starting to slow down. Either way, I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than I was last year. I'm not big (134 lbs.), but I feel and think I look my best around 122-124. Anyone else working on losing those last 10 lbs. or so? Or anyone else who's never really been overweight trying to lost those last few pounds that crept on some how. Where are you at and where do you want to be? What are you doing to try to lose those last few???

Your metabolism isn't slowing down. The smaller you are, the less caloric deficit is possible. Be patient. Log meticulously.

I'm sure your right about my metabolism, but this is just the first time that I'm trying to lose weight and it's not just falling off like it used to lol. I've never had issues and it was always a quick process for me. With my workouts and eating really well, I would have dropped my last 10 long before this. It's just so strange to me.

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I believe it gets harder as we get older.
  • guessjr94
    guessjr94 Posts: 32 Member
    I have 17 pounds left to go. Going on vacation this week for 4 days. Wish me luck! lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I never lost my last 5 pounds. I just stopped when I got to a range. Now I am eating more food these days trying to gain weight and having a bit of an issue with that.

This is going to sound really stupid, but if I had eaten a bit more keeping my metabolism going I may have lost those. I think my body resisted, in short slowed it down, I am not sure of this, but I can only gauge that by how much I am eating now and not gaining.

I eat way more than I could have ever dreamed of now, so either I have changed drastically hormonally in the past 4 - 5 months or that eat less to weight less it a misnomer for me and it was eat more to weight less.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    I weigh around 144 - 142 and I want to get down around 110 so I'm on my last 30lbs though I might want to go smaller than that. I guess I'll see once I get there.

I was losing 2lbs a week consistently but it's slowing down as my deficit is getting smaller. I'm trying to up my exercise to match my old deficit.

Your metabolism isn't slowing down, your deficit is smaller when you have a smaller body, you either need to be patient, eat less or exercise more to have a bigger deficit.
  • 155at49
    155at49 Posts: 14 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I believe it gets harder as we get older.

I thought that too ... but it turned out I was wrong. :)

Me too!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm working on the last 3-4lbs.. and to be honest, I don't even know if it will make a difference when I get there :/ . I've never been overweight either, just getting back down after my second pregnancy. Right now I am lifting 2-3x per week, walking and nursing to lose. After I reach goal I will attempt to eat at maintenance and work on body recomp.
  • hokiemom14
    guessjr94 wrote: »
    I have 17 pounds left to go. Going on vacation this week for 4 days. Wish me luck! lol.

You got this! It's only 4 days and if you make the decision to eat well during your vacation then you'll be just fine :)
  • hokiemom14
    I do truly think that it gets a bit tougher as I get older. I say that coming from a person who has always eaten healthy and been active. This is the longest it's ever taken me to get a few lbs. off. It used to just fall off as soon as I kicked up the extra workouts...not so much anymore :(
  • Rob_C4S
    Rob_C4S Posts: 49 Member
    I'm a dude and I'm down to my last 15 lbs. to get to mid teens of body fat. There are some articles that talk about low calorie diets slowing down your metabolism. livestrong.com/article/244490-do-low-calorie-diets-slow-down-metabolism/

Good luck to all!
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    I was thin my whole life right up till after I had my 3rd baby, I'm 34 so I don't know if it's from age, my last kid, or what but I've definitely never struggled like this in my life. I've never had to watch what I eat and never counted calories till I joined MFP a few days ago. I've finally excepted I'm going to have to do more than exercise to lose this last 15.