Are All Calorie Sources the Same?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Ensmardj wrote: »
    It is true that all calories are the same, but you must take into consideration the macros. If you hit 2.000 calories with 200+ Grams of fat or sugar, that means that you are not eating healthy at all. My fitness Pal is a great app that will DO help you losing body fat or weight (whatever you wanna call it, but have in mind that losing body fat, and weight are two very different things,) but you still have to eat a little bit clean. You can either have 2.000 calories by eating light/low fat/low sugar/or whatever it is on the market Ice cream, burgers, and fries, or hit those 2.000 calories with whole foods like oatmeal, white eggs, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, cooked meats, etc that will help you to lose weight. It's just a matter of how bad you want things. You either want to lose weight, or eat that burger with fries, and have ice cream or donuts latter on.

What has been helping me to reach my goal is eating 500 calories below of what MFP told me to eat every day, and of course, watching my fats, sugars, protein, and sodium intake. If I go over my limits in any of these 4 Macros I call it a cheat day, and if at the end of the week (which is the day I track my progress) I haven't lose any body fat, I know for damn sure that it was my fault (Even though not all days were cheat days) and need to change the way I eat.

Hope this help you. Keep grinding!

@Ensmardj - sugars and sodium are not macros. Fat, protein and carbs are macros ( alcohol is technically a 4th macro)

Yep, messed up some Macros with Micros. Good catch

Sugar isn't a micro either. It's a carb.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

RichardD83 wrote: »
    If you are in a deficit you will lose weight. If you are dumping lots of sugar in your system but are still a deficit you lose weight. It can't be laid down as fat because the body cannot conjure energy from thin air. Glycemic index has no bearing on weight loss if calories are kept constant. There is so much misinformation

If there is too much sugar in your blood stream doesn't insulin convert it to fat? Isn't this the based for diabetes?

Too much sugar in your bloodstream isn't the basis for diabetes. There are two types of diabetes, but both of them actually result in the body not properly utilizing/manufacturing insulin to regulate blood sugar. But in neither of them does it actually cause fat. Sugar can be a problem for a diabetic, but it doesn't cause diabetes. T1 diabetes isn't caused by any behavior, whereas T2 diabetes can occur with no real causation, but the most common reason for it is obesity, but certainly not the only reason. One thing the diabetes association doesn't list as a cause of diabetes is sugar.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and I include desserts in my calories every day. Sticking to my calorie allotment I lose weight easily. If you're not losing weight you might want to have your thyroid checked.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It is true that all calories are the same, but you must take into consideration the macros. If you hit 2.000 calories with 200+ Grams of fat or sugar, that means that you are not eating healthy at all. My fitness Pal is a great app that will DO help you losing body fat or weight (whatever you wanna call it, but have in mind that losing body fat, and weight are two very different things,) but you still have to eat a little bit clean. You can either have 2.000 calories by eating light/low fat/low sugar/or whatever it is on the market Ice cream, burgers, and fries, or hit those 2.000 calories with whole foods like oatmeal, white eggs, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables, cooked meats, etc that will help you to lose weight. It's just a matter of how bad you want things. You either want to lose weight, or eat that burger with fries, and have ice cream or donuts latter on.

What has been helping me to reach my goal is eating 500 calories below of what MFP told me to eat every day, and of course, watching my fats, sugars, protein, and sodium intake. If I go over my limits in any of these 4 Macros I call it a cheat day, and if at the end of the week (which is the day I track my progress) I haven't lose any body fat, I know for damn sure that it was my fault (Even though not all days were cheat days) and need to change the way I eat.

Hope this help you. Keep grinding!

There is no situation in a person without medical conditions who needs to lose weight, where weight loss is not fat loss.
    I have ice cream, fries, burgers, pizza and whatever the hell I want on a regular basis in moderation and within my calories and I lost and lose just fine, so that's wrong statement #2
    And false statement #3 is thinking the change within one week is saying anything at all. You're probably crash dieting if the actual loss every week is higher than possible fluctuations that can happen from day to day.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    fmcm8uxletx1.jpeg

Not all weightloss is the same.

I do not care what anyone on here says about calorie defict. 182 pounds at 20% bodyfat vs 182 at 12% bodyfat is a very big difference. Take it from someone who had just over 18% bodyfat and lost 100 pounds. I was a smaller fat person.

Macros matter!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fmcm8uxletx1.jpeg

Not all weightloss is the same.

I do not care what anyone on here says about calorie defict. 182 pounds at 20% bodyfat vs 182 at 12% bodyfat is a very big difference. Take it from someone who had just over 18% bodyfat and lost 100 pounds. I was a smaller fat person.

Macros matter!

That's not what the OP is asking. Of course the quality of food is important. He is asking if he would gain weight on a deficit if he ate sugar, which he wouldn't. To reiterate: all calories are the same, but not all foods have the same nutritional density.

When choosing foods it's important to look at the overall nutrition not a single food out of context. No doubt a kitkat is not as nutritionally dense as sauteed vegetables, but today I had meat and mushroom crepes with sour cream for breakfast and salmon with a large plate of sauteed vegetables for lunch then had a 2-finger kitkat for a snack. This is still a balanced day in retrospect, even though it had a food many people would not consider optimal. Now if I ate nothing but kitkat (or nothing but eggplant for that matter) my day wouldn't be as balanced.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    in for later
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No, not all calories are the same. If you got all of your daily calories from table sugar and drank nothing else but water, it would kill you.

So? Eating any one thing would kill you. This isn't what this discussion is about. No one is advocating eating nothing but sugar. Take your straw men to your own threads and don't hijack and derail a good thread where a person is asking questions because he genuinely wants to learn. I hope no one gets sucked into a useless semantics war.

I'm just catching up on this thread and thought the exact same thing as you, the OP was getting good information and was starting to better understand how weight loss works when the derailing involving a ridiculous straw man argument began...

OP I hope you will come back and share your stats: height, weight, goal weight, exercise routine, etc and open your diary. People will be happy to help you understand why you aren't losing weight.

Oh and for what it's worth, I'm a 5'2 female and lost most of my weight eating 1700 cals including plenty of sugar.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow :noway: