Bacon is not worth it

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can buy low sodium bacon and it too is around 40 calories a slice.

I am not sure I can even buy 4 pieces of bacon that is over 500 calories worth even if it is cooked at IHOP. Does this bacon contain gold flakes too?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The bacon package in my refrigerator says 80 calories for 2 slices (56 g).
    I don't eat bacon often but it isn't that bad.
  • illusio
    illusio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two pieces of bacon, cooked til crisp, crumbled over a tomato pasta. Or salad. Or just my tongue. Works any way
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have to just say NO to turkey bacon. I love turkey and especially turkey sandwiches at what not. I struggle with turkey burgers but I can get enough seasonings and stuff in the turkey meat to make them tolerable.

But there are two things I do not want and that is turkey bacon or turkey jerky. Got to do the real deal!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bacon is always worth it. I eat 2 slices for around 70 cal.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Life without Bacon is not a life I want to live.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I switch between sausage patties and bacon for breakfast. My bacon is Plumrose bacon is 80 cals for 2 slices.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Aw man. I love bacon! Sweet potato topped with two eggs, avocado and a slice of grilled back bacon and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce. Breakfast of the gods :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    The bacon I just ate was 90 calories for 2 pan fried slices.

You're doing it wrong.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What Bacon are you eating? The pork bacon I eat comes to 280, and 320 calories for 4 pieces if fried.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ...you know turkey bacon has more sodium than real bacon right????
    I'd like to meet your bacon....
    Before the switch I was eating Great Value (don't judge) Applewood Smoked Bacon with 7gams of fat and 310 grams of sodium, while my Jenny O Turkey bacon is 3 grams of fat and 260 grams of Bacon.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love bacon myself.

I usually only enjoy it once or twice a week though, unless i buy turkey bacon.

Which is also fantastic, doesnt shrink so much, and has less calories (:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I cure and smoke my own. My last lot was Espresso Maple Bacon. It was divine.

So.............you're my new BFF, yes?

Must be said, haven't had bacon in oh, maybe two weeks. Guess what's on my grocery list for tomorrow!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the most overrated food. I tend to agree with the OP. (I am also humbug about the Cubs, so generally a bad person, I know.)

USDA has bacon as 548 calories for 100 grams, cooked. You can find less caloric versions, of course, but they are more processed (oh, the horror!).

I eat it when I get it from my farm, but don't seek it out.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ...you know turkey bacon has more sodium than real bacon right????
    I'd like to meet your bacon....
    Before the switch I was eating Great Value (don't judge) Applewood Smoked Bacon with 7gams of fat and 310 grams of sodium, while my Jenny O Turkey bacon is 3 grams of fat and 260 grams of Bacon.

This tickles my funny bone! :laugh:

ETA: Hey, did you change your username?
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've wondered this about bacon. I live in Canada, but in a border city so I have easy access to US products. In Canada, this is the typical nutrition info for bacon:
    d8oan15ji1ff.png

This is the info for Oscar Mayer bacon (USA):
    zsnarhxoi6m6.png

The serving size for the Canadian one is for 50g of uncooked bacon, while the US is for 14g of cooked. It's so hard to compare. I stick to buying the US kind and weighing it after it's cooked.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I smoke chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, then freeze them individually and thaw them one at a time and slice them thin for really great tasting sandwiches for lunches. Without the bacon they are just plain boring. Mega protein and bacon at the same time. ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this about bacon. I live in Canada, but in a border city so I have easy access to US products. In Canada, this is the typical nutrition info for bacon:
    d8oan15ji1ff.png

This is the info for Oscar Mayer bacon (USA):
    zsnarhxoi6m6.png

The serving size for the Canadian one is for 50g of uncooked bacon, while the US is for 14g of cooked. It's so hard to compare. I stick to buying the US kind and weighing it after it's cooked.

I think the entries that give 100 calories a slice are the usda entries for raw bacon... but you don't eat all of it, unless you eat all the pan drippings too (who does that? lol).

I still eat bacon but honestly I don't know how to log it at all - what does 'skilled cooked' mean anyway? Clearly the longer you cook it, the leaner it will be... I prefer turkey bacon because they give nutrition for the raw slices (and you don't really lose that much fat anyway).