New 5K PB. ;-)

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
So it was my second "race", still did a better time. 28:28 chip time, (down from 29:09). Mile pace 9:09; overall 527/1345; Gender placement 386/733; Division M 60-64 16/27. There are some real fast older guys out there. Winner of my division beat me by about 9 minutes.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome! I'm younger than you and took 29 minutes and some change to run a 5k this weekend. I'd love to achieve your time. :smile:
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's fantastic. I've just started with 5K's and my best time yet is 36m. You are very fast from my view... Great motivation to keep going.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Well done. Great result.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nice. And for what it's worth, I'd lose the quotation marks around the word "race." If you're racing, it's your race. Own that [expletive deleted].
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Congrats. great work. And yes, there are some very fast older guys out there!
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So it was my second "race", still did a better time. 28:28 chip time, (down from 29:09). Mile pace 9:09; overall 527/1345; Gender placement 386/733; Division M 60-64 16/27. There are some real fast older guys out there. Winner of my division beat me by about 9 minutes.

That is awesome! Did you just start running or have you been a runner for awhile? My mom thinks that she is too old to start running. She is a 56 year old smoker. I think that she could if she wanted to. I told her about the C25K. I would have never been able to get where I am without that program!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're making some good improvements. Keep it up.
  • pondee629
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »

That is awesome! Did you just start running or have you been a runner for awhile? My mom thinks that she is too old to start running. She is a 56 year old smoker. I think that she could if she wanted to. I told her about the C25K. I would have never been able to get where I am without that program!

I was a runner, but that was high school and college. Pretty much gave it up at around 25, Then two years ago, or so, at 59 started again. Could barely walk a mile in 15 minutes. After a hernia surgery, had to walk to get better, a quarter mile turned into a half mile, turned into a mile into a mile and a half into two miles into walking three miles. This took about 6 months (14:30 minute miles walking). Then, on vacation on Cape Cod, after google mapping a three mile walk, broke into a jog after the first half mile, started alternating halves walking and running . Little did I know that there is an app to tell me that. One thing led to another, used Personal Running Trainer 4 weeks to a mile and then 8 weeks to 5K and in a year my 5K mile pace was 12 minutes. Stretching my training runs out to 5 miles I now have a 5 K mile pace of 9:05 and lowering ;-). A 56 year old smoker should A. Stop smoking ( like you haven't heard that before)and B. take a walk and just keep gradually increasing your distance. You're never too old to start.
    tri_bob wrote: »
    Nice. And for what it's worth, I'd lose the quotation marks around the word "race." If you're racing, it's your race. Own that [expletive deleted].

I quote "race" because, for me, it's a group run. The only competition I have to beat is the me who ran last.

Thanks all for your kind support. My advice to you, should you want it, keep going and get a play list to listen to while on your runs in a tempo mimicking your pace. It's harder to quit when you have that beat being played.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nice result
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Congrats :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! I know lots of younger people who would love a sub-30 5k.
  • Matthew1971NSW
    Matthew1971NSW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nice one. :)
  • pondee629
    Options
    And have now signed up for: another 5K in July; a 4 miler in August and, gulp, a Half Marathon in September. My wife just looks at me and shakes her head ;-)
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wtg!!!!