• xnearlytherebx
    xnearlytherebx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me! I'd love to help out
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You inspired me to cook in the crock pot so much that i woke up this morning and found I had prepared some chicken with rotel, tony's and a bit of olive oil in my crock pot and put it in my fridge...after i took my ambien. Lol
  • ciaraseifner
    ciaraseifner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for some meal ideas and motivation. Always great have friends there help motivate push you towards your goals!
  • liv_emmett
    liv_emmett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just got started on here Feel free to add me would love a friend for extra motivation xx
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A plain rice cake (35 cal) with 2tbs of PB2 (45 cal) on top? You're looking at only 100 calories right there.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    fruit...greek yogurt (low sugar ones) and what are your workouts looking like?
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That crock pot can cook up meals that are both healthy and delightful. I've found quite a few in Slow Cooker Revolution -- though I often up the veggies in their recipes by a whole lot.
    Here's one http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/2013/10/slow-cooker-tex-mex-chicken-stew.html

Serve a cup of stew over a half-cup of brown rice for about 358 tasty calories. (At least with my variation. I ladled the stew into containers to figure out the number of cups I'd made, then entered the recipe into MFP's recipe dingus, with #servings=#cups. That way, if I have 2 cups, I just tell MFP I had 2 servings.)

For the rice:

During the last 45 minutes a stew is in the crockpot, cook brown rice in the microwave. Put plastic wrap over a 'wave-proof bowl holding 1 cup brown rice 2 cups water. Vent it at one spot. Cook on high until it boils (about 3 to 5 minutes for 1 cup rice 2 cups water. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over). Then cook it at power level 2 or 3 for 45 minutes (unless the variety of brown rice you're using suggests a shorter cooking time). Easy peasy, and you don't have to worry about it burning.

If you have a big enough bowl/casserole you can cook enough rice for a week, or at least 2 or 3 meals. Cooking time is the same; it'll just take a bit longer to get to boiling.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    BiggyFuzz wrote: »
    fruit...greek yogurt (low sugar ones) and what are your workouts looking like?

Workouts....not much since a fall down the stairs a few years ago. Just had 3 nerve blocks last week. Doc said I can start walking again for exercise...but thats it for now.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    That crock pot can cook up meals that are both healthy and delightful. I've found quite a few in Slow Cooker Revolution -- though I often up the veggies in their recipes by a whole lot.
    Here's one http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/2013/10/slow-cooker-tex-mex-chicken-stew.html

Serve a cup of stew over a half-cup of brown rice for about 358 tasty calories. (At least with my variation. I ladled the stew into containers to figure out the number of cups I'd made, then entered the recipe into MFP's recipe dingus, with #servings=#cups. That way, if I have 2 cups, I just tell MFP I had 2 servings.)

For the rice:

During the last 45 minutes a stew is in the crockpot, cook brown rice in the microwave. Put plastic wrap over a 'wave-proof bowl holding 1 cup brown rice 2 cups water. Vent it at one spot. Cook on high until it boils (about 3 to 5 minutes for 1 cup rice 2 cups water. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over). Then cook it at power level 2 or 3 for 45 minutes (unless the variety of brown rice you're using suggests a shorter cooking time). Easy peasy, and you don't have to worry about it burning.

If you have a big enough bowl/casserole you can cook enough rice for a week, or at least 2 or 3 meals. Cooking time is the same; it'll just take a bit longer to get to boiling.

Thank you so much!!! This is GREAT information!!!

I absolutely appreciate each of your comments with all these ideas!! I went to the grocery store today and got lots of apples and a few other things i didnt have already!! Yay!!
  • KingRagingRajan
    KingRagingRajan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bananas, Cashew nuts, Greek Yogurt, Corn, Carrots, Peanut butter, and trail mix are all great snacks.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    Bananas, Cashew nuts, Greek Yogurt, Corn, Carrots, Peanut butter, and trail mix are all great snacks.

Corn...as in pop corn??
  • KingRagingRajan
    KingRagingRajan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a good snack but I meant corn on the cob
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    Sweet!! Corn is one of my faves, but I've always thought it wasn't good for you.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kymberkaye wrote: »
    Sweet!! Corn is one of my faves, but I've always thought it wasn't good for you.

It's not that it's not good for you.. it's just.. eh. In my opinion it doesn't do much for you in terms of calories vs nutrients. It's a starchy carb like potatoes are. They are in the same food category to me (same as carrots/peas). But that is different for everyone.
  • kymberkaye
    Options
    Then i guess I can eat it without feeling guilty. Lol
  • cscunningham1987
    cscunningham1987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love hummus with whole wheat Pita bread and Apple's with peanut butter :)
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I also use the perimeter rule and luckily companies are listening so we have a lot of healthier on the go options. Pre sliced fruits and veggies are also great, or even those take and go small salads. Peanut butter bites (skippy makes them and they are yummy) Laughing cow makes a cheese and bread stick snack, we also have these fruits and cottage cheese grab packs, greek yogurt, granola is a favorite of mine.