Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Turkey "bacon" for me.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The local bacon I get is more calories by the slice than commercial bacon probably because they don't slice it paper thin. So I use the USDA values and weigh the slices so I know exactly how much I am eating (each slice does vary by weight). Bacon is totally worth it...even if it's just half a slice some days. A wonderful, savory taste.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I use Kroger Private Selection center cut, 25 calories a slice.
    privateselection.com/artisan-products/meats/bacon/center-cut-bacon/
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've wondered this about bacon. I live in Canada, but in a border city so I have easy access to US products. In Canada, this is the typical nutrition info for bacon:
    d8oan15ji1ff.png

This is the info for Oscar Mayer bacon (USA):
    zsnarhxoi6m6.png

The serving size for the Canadian one is for 50g of uncooked bacon, while the US is for 14g of cooked. It's so hard to compare. I stick to buying the US kind and weighing it after it's cooked.

I think the entries that give 100 calories a slice are the usda entries for raw bacon... but you don't eat all of it, unless you eat all the pan drippings too (who does that? lol).

I do! The other days , to reminiscent the life in the old country where we stir fried veggies and everything with lard, I thought the bacon juice would be a good choice. To be honest even though the dish tasted pretty decent, I couldn't recall any old taste memories. Good thing anyway, life is meant to be changed.

American style bacon has its own uniqueness but if I want to pig out I would go for sliced Korean pork belly which comes frozen and plain so you can marinate any way you want and grill.
  • mandamoxie
    mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can cut a lot of calories off of your bacon if you make sure to go for the plain stuff instead of maple or other flavored bacon.

I get the Hormel center cut bacon and it's 70 calories for two slices.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Okay, firstly, that back bacon looks delicious!
    But here's the thing. Why eat all five pieces? Why not eat... one piece?
    My husband and I used to cook eight pieces of bacon for Sunday brunch and eat every single bite (except for the crumb we give the cat. One must pay Kitty Toll, I'm afraid.) Then I started eating just two pieces instead of four. Now, we make three pieces and each eat 1.5, and it easily fits into our calorie budget and our macros.
    If you're worried about it going back, divvy up the package and freeze some for later.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat grasses beef bacon. You couldn't pry that out of my cold dead hands. :D
    500 calorie bacon?! You may need to recalculate your bacon calories because that is just plain wrong. I have 4 Oz's and it was like 300 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've wondered this about bacon. I live in Canada, but in a border city so I have easy access to US products. In Canada, this is the typical nutrition info for bacon:
    d8oan15ji1ff.png

This is the info for Oscar Mayer bacon (USA):
    zsnarhxoi6m6.png

The serving size for the Canadian one is for 50g of uncooked bacon, while the US is for 14g of cooked. It's so hard to compare. I stick to buying the US kind and weighing it after it's cooked.

I think the entries that give 100 calories a slice are the usda entries for raw bacon... but you don't eat all of it, unless you eat all the pan drippings too (who does that? lol).

I do! The other days , to reminiscent the life in the old country where we stir fried veggies and everything with lard, I thought the bacon juice would be a good choice. To be honest even though the dish tasted pretty decent, I couldn't recall any old taste memories. Good thing anyway, life is meant to be changed.

American style bacon has its own uniqueness but if I want to pig out I would go for sliced Korean pork belly which comes frozen and plain so you can marinate any way you want and grill.

I save the drippings as well.

I use it to fry up stuff at a later date such a shrimp or scallops or chicken even scrambled eggs.

My mom growing up made us something called "pan gravy" that used bacon fat...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it...

That's just crazy talk. No bacon is almost like saying no coffee in the morning - I want off that planet! :) Bacon is always worth it, because mmmm, bacon.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    ...ETA: Hey, did you change your username?

No idea how to... and I meant sodium!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bacon is the most overrated food.

lemurcat12 is now off the list of rational posters.

LOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Try shortcut bacon, 436 calories for 200g, which is a ton of bacon!

tt73c4uldfwu.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    innumeracy. it's a thing. now with bacon.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont eat pork, so I eat Arnold's beef bacon. It's only 50 calories for 2 fried slices.

I also looked at my jimmy dean turkey sausage and the beef bacon is lower in sodium than the turkey sausage.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use Turkey Bacon it is healthier