Low carb

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    asaber1616 wrote: »

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..

Then if I may, please be careful when you start counting calories for the CICO too. You still have to count everything that goes in your mouth, regardless of the macros.

Same actions, different numbers

And again, WHICH bikini clad teen in the photo are you...
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Guys, I came on here to let some steam off and express my opinion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I really don't appreciate the name calling..
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..

Then if I may, please be careful when you start counting calories for the CICO too. You still have to count everything that goes in your mouth, regardless of the macros.

Far right. Why should it matter?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
    It's not a fad.
    and
    Perhaps you were doing it wrong?

signed: not low carb.

Everybody is different. I know family members that are very into Keto and have been for a few years and swear by it. I know people who are vegan/vegetarian and don't eat a lot of protein, people who are gluten free (One of them actually has Celiacs, I heard of it before it was popular way back in 1990) and all those different restrictions work for them and have for a while.

It sounds like you never found what worked for you, most people do find meal plans in whatever their diet plan is that they can use and don't have to obsess every day. For you, it sounds like being more open to all food types, but there are a lot of people who have no issues with restrictions or limits and have integrated it into their lifestyle.

The beauty of it all is that there is no one right way to eat.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
    It's not a fad.
    and

But healthy to put restrictions on or limit calories. Got it.

Perhaps it was you.

There's a difference between cutting back on calories and cutting out an entire food group
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    It's not a fad.
    and

Everybody is different. I know family members that are very into Keto and have been for a few years and swear by it. I know people who are vegan/vegetarian and don't eat a lot of protein, people who are gluten free (One of them actually has Celiacs, I heard of it before it was popular way back in 1990) and all those different restrictions work for them and have for a while.

It sounds like you never found what worked for you, most people do find meal plans in whatever their diet plan is that they can use and don't have to obsess every day. For you, it sounds like being more open to all food types, but there are a lot of people who have no issues with restrictions or limits and have integrated it into their lifestyle.

The beauty of it all is that there is no one right way to eat.

Thank you for politely responding. You're right
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just wondering if you were the thin one or the very skinny one on here discussing your what you referred to as "obsessive" thoughts about food. You're the thin one. Thanks for clarifying.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

Well, limiting food groups is a bit different than limiting calories, because the more varied your diet, the more likely you are to meet your nutrient needs. You can certainly be successful on more restrictive diets and many people are, but you're likely to need to pay greater attention to nutrients that you might be lacking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

There's a difference between cutting back on calories and cutting out an entire food group

What food group would that be?
    Do you mean a macronutrient?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Guys, I came on here to let some steam off and express my opinion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I really don't appreciate the name calling..
    I missed the name calling. if someone HAS violated the community guidelines, please do feel free to hit the flag button. And, given that a moderator has already posted a reply, I'm sure it will be promptly addressed.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

Just wondering if you were the thin one or the very skinny one on here discussing your what you referred to as "obsessive" thoughts about food. You're the thin one. Thanks for clarifying.

My pleasure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

Well, limiting food groups is a bit different than limiting calories, because the more varied your diet, the more likely you are to meet your nutrient needs. You can certainly be successful on more restrictive diets and many people are, but you're likely to need to pay greater attention to nutrients that you might be lacking.

Does that make limiting a macro "unhealthy"?
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey asaber1616, I can understand you just wanting to vent, I too have found that restrictions do not work for me. I hope you find the right balance to get you where you want to be.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Good luck on your journey asaber1616, I can understand you just wanting to vent, I too have found that restrictions do not work for me. I hope you find the right balance to get you where you want to be.

Nicely put!
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

Yes, I apologize. You win, alright?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

Its not a contest, as far as I know. Sorry that my posts have made you feel defensive.
    Best of luck on your journey toward a lifelong happy and healthy relationship with food and your body. cheers!

PS: out of curiosity, were you following a plan like Atkins, and/or were you eating plenty of green vegetables? Were you aiming for a particular carb count and eating the rest in good fats and lots of greens? Or were you aiming for NO carb etc. and avoiding all the yummy plant foods that are naturally low in carbohydrates?
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

Its not a contest, as far as I know. Sorry that my posts have made you feel defensive.
    Best of luck on your journey toward a lifelong happy and healthy relationship with food and your body. cheers!

PS: out of curiosity, were you following a plan like Atkins, and/or were you eating plenty of green vegetables? Were you aiming for a particular carb count and eating the rest in good fats and lots of greens? Or were you aiming for NO carb etc. and avoiding all the yummy plant foods that are naturally low in carbohydrates?

I cut out all simple carbs and stuck to complex carbs only. I only allowed myself about 30 to 50g a day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

I cut out all simple carbs and stuck to complex carbs only. I only allowed myself about 30 to 50g a day.

I hate to ask: but what do you consider simple carbs? (I only ask because folks have very differing definitions of simple carbs).
    30-50 sounds pretty doable. Again, I'm not low carb, but many of my pals on here are.
    Thanks for indulging me.
  • FitLaughLove
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Perhaps it was you.

I hate to ask: but what do you consider simple carbs? (I only ask because folks have very differing definitions of simple carbs).
    30-50 sounds pretty doable. Again, I'm not low carb, but many of my pals on here are.
    Thanks for

Oh I know it does. I guess it wasn't doable for me. I consider simple carbs to be anything processed. My carbs came from either the ground or a tree lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2016
    Options

Oh I know it does. I guess it wasn't doable for me. I consider simple carbs to be anything processed. My carbs came from either the ground or a tree lol

Okay, thanks. That's not too too far off from a standard definition of complex carbohydrate, I guess. Though "ground" plants tend to be pretty high in carbs and not part of many low carbers diets (like potatoes). Again, I return to my OP: glad you figured out what doesn't work for you. That's half the battle