How do you reward yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I get to 100kg I am going to sign up for a free diving course. I won't feel so bad in my wetsuit and I won't be as floaty as I was!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I read this fascinating idea about the difference between rewards and treats, and why "rewards" are bad for you. The basic idea is that if you want something to be a habit, you want to do it without thinking, and without needing a reward. You do it because you do it. Just like you don't need a reward for putting on your seatbelt or brushing your teeth, and you want other habits to become second nature just like that. Giving yourself a reward for such things can actually undermine you, because then you are doing it FOR THE REWARD, and then you lose your motivation if you no longer get the reward. Like, what if you were almost to your next goal weight and planning a reward, and then found out you didn't have the money for it? Better for the motivation to be the habit itself.

Treats are different. Treats are things you do for yourself that you didn't have to earn, just because you enjoy it. Rather than undermining your habits, treats help you gain motivation because when you feel better, you act better. Treats don't have to be spontaneous, they can be planned, just not earned. It's a subtle difference, but it's the difference between creating a habit that you will continue doing no matter what, and just doing something to get the reward at the end.

The next thing I'm planning to do for myself is buy an unschooling journal I have been wanting for my kids. Yes, I'm enough of a nerd that I consider that a treat for myself, LOL.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I find that the weight loss, especially is effect on my physical and emotional well-being, it's it's own reward. However, I do celebrate every 5 lb milestone, mostly by telling my family.

For years I wasn't very kind to myself. I was ashamed to be seen in public at my high weight. I felt I didn't deserve to have clothes that fit well. That has stopped. I am a lot more forgiving to myself now, and I quit denying myself new clothes at the same time I started actively trying to care for my body.

Let me be clear : the clothes are not a reward for weight loss. Whether or not I'd lost weight, withholding things I needed out of self - shame was unhealthy. I stopped that behavior. Now I buy things when I need and can afford them without the negative self talk.

I feel if I liked and valued manicures or massages or whatever (these things are not important to me personally), I'd want to approach it the same way.. Not as a reward for taking care of myself, but part of my plan to take care of myself, body, mind and spirit.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Once every 2 or 3 weeks I get a Double Deluxe burger at Culver's, no fries. 650 calories or so without mayo.

OMG we have a new culver's. i might have to go try that!!!

They're great burgers. Fresh beef, and they cook it to order. Bring it out to your car in a few minutes. Really great service too, I love Culver's.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    mathiseasy wrote: »
    Every 15lb lost I'll reward myself. The next one coming up is a new (to me) sundress, and I have my eye on the one I want!

that sounds pretty! i won't reward myself with clothes until i've lost all my weight. i refuse to have a million "in between" wardrobes. LOL

Haha I hear ya. I have a few new pieces that were on sale-I refuse to buy any clothes full price regardless of my size. But I think some clothes that fit well are in order for nice occasions! I hit up thrift shops ("new to me") and you can get pieces for like $4...just have to get in before it gets bought! The great thing about that is usually you can turn around and sell back the clothes that are now too big.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I don't feel the need to reward myself, losing weight is reward enough for me. Plus I don't want to buy new clothes until I've reached my goal weight and then I'll need them.

Exactly this. Losing weight in itself was the reward... and nope, not wasting money on clothes that will be worn a couple months at best.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I read this fascinating idea about the difference between rewards and treats, and why "rewards" are bad for you. The basic idea is that if you want something to be a habit, you want to do it without thinking, and without needing a reward. You do it because you do it. Just like you don't need a reward for putting on your seatbelt or brushing your teeth, and you want other habits to become second nature just like that. Giving yourself a reward for such things can actually undermine you, because then you are doing it FOR THE REWARD, and then you lose your motivation if you no longer get the reward. Like, what if you were almost to your next goal weight and planning a reward, and then found out you didn't have the money for it? Better for the motivation to be the habit itself.

Treats are different. Treats are things you do for yourself that you didn't have to earn, just because you enjoy it. Rather than undermining your habits, treats help you gain motivation because when you feel better, you act better. Treats don't have to be spontaneous, they can be planned, just not earned. It's a subtle difference, but it's the difference between creating a habit that you will continue doing no matter what, and just doing something to get the reward at the end.

The next thing I'm planning to do for myself is buy an unschooling journal I have been wanting for my kids. Yes, I'm enough of a nerd that I consider that a treat for myself, LOL.

That's my thinking too. I like internal motivation.

I'm working hard because I have fitness related goals. My "reward," other than liking the way I look and my performance in training, is to make the goals I have. I have three races this summer, a 5k, a 10k trail run, and a spartan sprint. My reward is being fit enough to do those things well. When I meet those goals, like @randomtai said, I'll make new ones.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    New goals.

Yes. This. <3