No carbs please

I am doing a no carb diet, and it seems like everyone at work decided to get together and start teasing me. They bring doughnuts buy pizza, which it's hard enough to walk away from. What's worse is that they beg me to take a bite, like its their sole mission in life to get me to eat crappy foods. It's getting harder and harder to stay strong and walk away... Anyone else feels this way?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    There will always be negative, unsupportive people for whatever reason; jealousy, bad sense of humor etc. that will try to sabotage your efforts.
    Be strong, stay focused, walk away, ignore or tell them firmly how you feel... However u decide to handle it.... You just stay focused on what's good for you!
    Have dealt with this for years, you are not alone!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Isn't funny how unsupportive people can be? Stay strong...it isn't worth it. There will always be pizza and donuts when you feel like you want to work it in to your eating plan for the day!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    You are stronger than me, I would of told them the f off the first time they did that to me and been total biotch to them lol.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    araffoul wrote: »
    I am doing a no carb diet, and it seems like everyone at work decided to get together and start teasing me. They bring doughnuts buy pizza, which it's hard enough to walk away from. What's worse is that they beg me to take a bite, like its their sole mission in life to get me to eat crappy foods. It's getting harder and harder to stay strong and walk away... Anyone else feels this way?

Stay Strong! Prove to them that you're determined to keep your word and make your "no, mean no!" When they bring in carbs, get up and walk away, don't even look at it. When they start to beg, say "I thank you for your 'generosity', but NO!" They'll eventually leave you alone... but should you give in EVEN ONCE, they've got you! SO learn not to be tempted.!
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    It's definitely though in the work environment, I feel you. Though I'm not doing a restrictive diet, I am trying to curb my "at the computer snacking" tendencies, and it doesn't help that we have a snack bar with all sorts of goodies only 10 feet away from my desk and tasty baked goods in the office more often than not. I've managed to stay away from the snack bar (I try to bring healthier alternatives, like an apple, etc with me) and go for a walk if I feel the need to munch on something out of habit/vs hunger. Unless you have coworkers who are willing to support you getting healthy, I would not advertise that you're trying to diet, etc. It's honestly none of their business.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I have no idea how anyone can do a completely no carb diet, but anyway - this is a prime example of why you don't share your food choices with others that don't need to know. I would NEVER go around telling all my co-workers I'm on a diet. They have no need to know that. Its just oversharing and an invitation for issues.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    All you have to say is "I brought my own food", if they continue, take their offering, and dump it in the trash right in front to of them. Last year I dealt with a nosey coworker. I never shared my diet plans if not asked, yet she'd come in my office giving me advice, and offering me food not in my goals.

You're not food shaming them, are you?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I am assuming you don't mean zero carb, you mean no bread/pasta/cake etc.?

I agree with posters who keep their diets to themselves. There's no reason your coworkers should know the specifics of your diet! You're basically opening the door to what you're experiencing.

Disclaimer since I've already been called "nasty" today: This doesn't mean your coworkers are right, they suck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Probably best not to respond to their abhorrent behaviour by calling their food "crappy", think it (if you really must) but if you say it they will feel it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Personally I would confront their behaviour (in a very loud voice) and directly ask them why they "get together and start teasing me". Don't be a passive victim, make them realise how much they are upsetting you. One big argument would be better than a drip, drip, drip of you repeatedly feeling bullied IMO.

Staying strong by walking away isn't a great tactic in my experience.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    No carb diets are difficult to do with the world around you being normal....

People tend to eat things other than meat?? Who knew?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Don't tell people about your personal eating habits.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    brower47 wrote: »

Sometimes, they will make a notice. My pesky coworker asked why I suddenly started bringing lunch, and I said I'm trying to eat healthier (of curse, they didn't wanna hear about CICO after asking about how I've lost, lol). This person would constantly say I'm not eating enough, I needed less fat and carbs etc. They literally came I to my closed office to lecture me about a sandwich and chips.

But if OP is constantly going on about their diet, they do need to let off, I agree. Just like we don't want to hear about you lr huge Italian meal when it's not in our goals at the time, they don't want to hear about our protein powder. ;)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    brower47 wrote: »

Sometimes, they will make a notice. My pesky coworker asked why I suddenly started bringing lunch, and I said I'm trying to eat healthier (of curse, they didn't wanna hear about CICO after asking about how I've lost, lol). This person would constantly say I'm not eating enough, I needed less fat and carbs etc. They literally came I to my closed office to lecture me about a sandwich and chips.

But if OP is constantly going on about their diet, they do need to let off, I agree. Just like we don't want to hear about you lr huge Italian meal when it's not in our goals at the time, they don't want to hear about our protein powder. ;)

I would have just said "because I want to." No mention of healthier or anything.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Teasing and deliberate sabotage is never cool. But what ARE you eating (or aiming to eat)? As far as I know, there's carbs in everything except meat, eggs and oil? Surely you must be eating some carbs?
    Maybe it's better not to announce changes in diet to everyone.

There's even some (very low) level of carbs in meat and eggs. Only processed oil and fat is completely carb free.