This is why we always tell you to use grams and not cups!

Options
Bought some campanelle pasta for the first time this weekend. I always weigh my pasta in the measuring cup so I can see the actual cup/grams discrepancy of the various styles versus what the package claims a cup will weigh. This one was enormous. THIS is why you ALWAYS weigh. Do not use volume for calories. One cup here contains 36.4008% more calories then the package claims. I made this image as a visual reminder as to why we always say... ALWAYS WEIGH!

8gtvi0monuec.jpg

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It's less messy too. I can just stick my smaller pot on the scale, hit tare, and drop the pasta right in there.

The only time I use cups are for water and nut milks. I even tend to weigh out cow's milk.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Bran cereal.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Yep!

One minor nitpick, is that cooked pasta on the scale?

Nope. That's what campanelle looks like raw. I'm fully aware that the pasta package says 'dry' as part of the serving size. :wink:
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So agree with this! I had an old scale from Weight Watchers that only did ounces. When I got my new scale and did grams I decided to torture myself by weighing my favorite foods. Of course I still slip and go to ounces because it is the default on the new scale (still trying to figure out how to change that), but grams is the way to go.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep! That scale makes all the difference!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You have the same scale that I have!

I weigh virtually everything. I also make extensive use of this: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm for those items when I only have the measurement in volume and want to know what weight I need.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    same thing with peanut butter, a table spoon full and level is closer to the grams of 2 tablespoons!

I feel like I could fit 4x the serving size of peanut butter in a tablespoon, that business is lumped so high on there lol
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I've had it for so long. I'm pretty certain it was purchased because of an old America's Test Kitchen recommendation. Or maybe it was Alton Brown. Hehe. I'd say 80% of my kitchen appliance and gadgets were recommended by one of those two.

<3 Alton Brown <3

... and America's Test Kitchen
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.
  • Wynterbourne
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.

Every different box and bag of pasta in my cabinet says a serving is 56g uncooked or dry. I've never seen a box list a cooked cup of pasta as a serving. And when the 56g of dry were cooked they were more than a cup.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

This. The 1 cup is based on cooked.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

This just makes the cups thing even weirder because depneding on how you like your pasta cooked will make the variances even more unpredictable!

Looking forward to the day US nutrition labels ditch the cups (does anywhere else do this? Obviously we don;t in the UK).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

No, it's not. The label explicitly says 1 cup (56g) dry.

Yeah the label is weird. What brand is it?
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

This just makes the cups thing even weirder because depneding on how you like your pasta cooked will make the variances even more unpredictable!

Looking forward to the day US nutrition labels ditch the cups (does anywhere else do this? Obviously we don;t in the UK).

I can't weight until US labels list only grams on food.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ehh, I don't mind them listing things like 5 chips. Personally I'd rather have MFP add grams, heck, even ounces, to more verified entries. Yes, we can make our own entry with grams, but it would be nice to have the site do it for us.