This is why we always tell you to use grams and not cups!

Options

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.

This. The 1 cup is based on cooked.

This just makes the cups thing even weirder because depneding on how you like your pasta cooked will make the variances even more unpredictable!

Looking forward to the day US nutrition labels ditch the cups (does anywhere else do this? Obviously we don;t in the UK).

here in israel they only give the nutritional info for 100 grams of the stuff.
    AND... my pasta's nutritional label is for 100 grams COOKED.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Virtually every pasta has a 2 oz/56 grams serving size dry.

True, but what I was pointing out was that the weight of one cup, for all of those people that insist that because the label also says 56g equals 1 cup, isn't always the case. They insist they can't be underestimating their calories because they used a level cup. But this shows that one level cup is NOT always the 56g that the package claims. It happens all the time.

Oh, of course. But I have no idea where people were getting the cooked idea from. It said on the label a serving size was dry.

It's because it's pretty much on every 'serving size' list out there that one serving of pasta is one cup cooked (which is really not accurate either). So I was just mentioning that it makes no sense that the label would mention one cup dry in the first place.

Ooohh you mean like USDA websites and such. But surely the nutritional value written on a product has to be of what is packaged, without limiting to any particular cooking method
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Definitely an eye-opening reminder!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think it's only the USA (correct me if I'm wrong) that uses cups. It's a little frustrating when I'm looking up receipies online and it will tell me one cup of something. Just tell me in grams and/or ml (not oz!!)
    You Americans are weird with your farenheit temperatures, gallons, ounces and cups of stuff

Hehe I use fahrenheit for heat but centigrade for cold. Lying on a beach in 90 degrees F sounds so much nicer than 32 degrees C. Conversely, if it's 0 degrees C outside in winter I'm not going out, but 32 degrees F doesn't sound as cold as it is!
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bought some campanelle pasta for the first time this weekend. I always weigh my pasta in the measuring cup so I can see the actual cup/grams discrepancy of the various styles versus what the package claims a cup will weigh. This one was enormous. THIS is why you ALWAYS weigh. Do not use volume for calories. One cup here contains 36.4008% more calories then the package claims. I made this image as a visual reminder as to why we always say... ALWAYS WEIGH!

8gtvi0monuec.jpg

YES! I recently learned this and since I have been doing it that way my weightloss has been consistent. I mean who knew. You think you are doing something right but that one thing can be the cause of a major problem. Thank you for posting.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Virtually every pasta has a 2 oz/56 grams serving size dry.

True, but what I was pointing out was that the weight of one cup, for all of those people that insist that because the label also says 56g equals 1 cup, isn't always the case. They insist they can't be underestimating their calories because they used a level cup. But this shows that one level cup is NOT always the 56g that the package claims. It happens all the time.

Oh, of course. But I have no idea where people were getting the cooked idea from. It said on the label a serving size was dry.

It's because it's pretty much on every 'serving size' list out there that one serving of pasta is one cup cooked (which is really not accurate either). So I was just mentioning that it makes no sense that the label would mention one cup dry in the first place.

I've only ever seen dry serving sizes on labels, never cooked.

She doesn't mean on the package label. She means on lists like USDA serving recommendations, lists of servings for particular diets, etc, like JaneiR36 already said.

I didn't get it until I saw Francl27's last post - I thought her first one meant on the package label, too.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

REALLY weird nutrition label though because typically they say that one serving is one cup COOKED.

This just makes the cups thing even weirder because depneding on how you like your pasta cooked will make the variances even more unpredictable!

Looking forward to the day US nutrition labels ditch the cups (does anywhere else do this? Obviously we don;t in the UK).

Here in Italy they only give nutritional info for 100 grams of the stuff.
    AND...my pasta's nutritional label is for 100 grams DRY.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

Egads! Don't they realize that the cooked weight will never be a consistent amount of dry pasta? The cooked weight greatly varies on how long the pasta was cooked. The longer it's cooked, the more water it absorbs, the more the final weight will be no matter what you started with. That's why dry weight it accurate. I can't believe the people in charge of creating the labels haven't thought about this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

Egads! Don't they realize that the cooked weight will never be a consistent amount of dry pasta? The cooked weight greatly varies on how long the pasta was cooked. The longer it's cooked, the more water it absorbs, the more the final weight will be no matter what you started with. That's why dry weight it accurate. I can't believe the people in charge of creating the labels haven't thought about this.

Well, I guess it sorta depends, for example my pasta pretty much always weigh the same because I cook it exactly the same way... but I guess an extra minute could make a difference.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yep, thanks for sharing.

Well, I guess it sorta depends, for example my pasta pretty much always weigh the same because I cook it exactly the same way... but I guess an extra minute could make a difference.

But do I cook mine the same way you cook yours, yet the same label must apply to us both :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    We don't have cups on the nutritional information bit where I live, but sometimes there's calories for 100ml/200ml instead of our standard 100g. Anyway, I find it easiest to weigh my starches and grains, because then I'll know exactly how much I'm eating... With vegetables, if I eat the whole package or exactly half of it, I'll just go with the weight on the package.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    We don't have cups on the nutritional information bit where I live, but sometimes there's calories for 100ml/200ml instead of our standard 100g. Anyway, I find it easiest to weigh my starches and grains, because then I'll know exactly how much I'm eating... With vegetables, if I eat the whole package or exactly half of it, I'll just go with the weight on the package.

Well today I washed a package of blackberries that said contained 170g. It actually contained 196g!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the one idiot here who asks but... why would cooked pasta be so different from dry pasta? I get that pasta swells when it takes on water, but wouldn't it follow, then, that bigger pasta = less actual "food" per gram/cup = fewer calories? :o
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The only food I measuring using cups aside from liquids is canned veggies such as corn and peas. The label says 125g is 1/2 cup, but since I drain the liquid in the can, that's pretty close to 1 cup if going by grams. Everything else I weigh in grams, or with meat I use ounces.
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to be off topic but am I right to weigh brown rice dry then? My box doesn't say dry or cooked. I make 1 serving (30g) of minute brown dry and it expands to quite a bit of rice.

I'm scared that im fooling myself. I've got a tiny rice addiction. :s
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    285to170 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be off topic but am I right to weigh brown rice dry then? My box doesn't say dry or cooked. I make 1 serving (30g) of minute brown dry and it expands to quite a bit of rice.

I'm scared that im fooling myself. I've got a tiny rice addiction. :s

The serving size on the rice would indeed be for dry rice.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Well today I washed a package of blackberries that said contained 170g. It actually contained 196g!

I know this happens! I'm only extra careful with more calorie dense stuff like bananas and dates, but the rest I can't really eat too much of even if it weighs a bit too much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the one idiot here who asks but... why would cooked pasta be so different from dry pasta? I get that pasta swells when it takes on water, but wouldn't it follow, then, that bigger pasta = less actual "food" per gram/cup = fewer calories? :o

Well yeah. You'll have less calories in one cup of cooked pasta than in one cup of dry pasta.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I wish this could be pinned to the top page always!