When you just love carbs

jmac4263
jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
For those that went low carb or have never really consumed them what replacements do you make?? Sandwiches (bread) breakfast bars or anything really. I have a really difficult time keeping mine down!

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Do you have a medical condition requiring you to limit your carbs?
  • jmac4263
    One of my doctors told me because of PCOS and insulin sensitivity if I wanted to be at normal weight for my height his suggestion would be to go to a lower carb diet
  • jmac4263
    I do eat a lot of carbs now so cutting them down wouldn't be anything crazy or unhealthy
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Why not just focus on whole foods? When I'm low carb I generally focus my meals on meat and veggies, throw in some full fat dairy, almonds, etc. If I'm craving something sweet sometimes I'll find a recipe for low carb treats and make them myself. Some of the atkins products are pretty good though (the bars not the shakes). I've never found low carb bread even worth eating. Ick.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    for sandwiches you could try using lettuce leaves instead. I find usually that when my carbs are low, I'm having more fats in my diet but when my carbs are high that it's the opposite. I don't really have any other food suggestions though. What I have been doing though is that if I go out to eat or a bbq, what I'll do is have a burger or a hot dog and not eat the buns. Or eat half of the bun so I can have a little of the bread taste but not overdo it. Good luck, hope you get some more suggestions ~
  • hollyrayburn
    Ah. Well, try to think: hunter. Can ya go out and hunt it, pick it? That's about as low carb as you can get.

Trade sandwich bread for lettuce wraps. Zoodles for noodles, etc.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    There are some excellent almond flour recipes using eggs, shredded cheese, coconut/olive oil for very low carb "swedish rolls" crackers, rolls, cookies, and pizza base from 'riced' cauliflower. All recipes use almond and or a bit of coconut (dense) flour which doesn't rigger response like wheat/grain does. Online are many many recipes which included the LCHF eggs, and cheese allowed, but reduces carbs dramatically..BUT most o these breads are higher calories per serving...so that counts...200-400 is a big hit, but can be planned for. I even saw goldfish cracker recipe that was LC! Just search
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    For those that went low carb or have never really consumed them what replacements do you make?? Sandwiches (bread) breakfast bars or anything really. I have a really difficult time keeping mine down!

If you don't have a health issue, eat your carbs within your caloric deficit.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I don't know why I even clicked into this since I ate not one but 2 soft pretzels from Philly Pretzel factory today....but the bacon bread was worth it. Sorry OP. I've added no value today.
  • hollyrayburn
    randomtai wrote: »
    Bacon bread.

03dd37d0568fc2a70581915d52594c72.jpg

I have a crush on you now. :open_mouth:
  • jmac4263
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I should have been more specific I'm not trying to cut them out specifically just eat less than I am now. That bacon bread looks amazing though probably more calories that I want though lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm not low carb, but I tend to eat around 40% and had them lower for a while. Mostly just because for me it's a good way to maximize my pleasure on lower calories. What works for me is either skipping the more carb dense course (bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.) in a meal -- for example, salad with protein for lunch instead of a sandwich or extra vegetables instead of a starch at dinner (maybe subbing in a starchier veg like winter squash or root veg to take the place of the starch course). I also tend to focus on getting a balance of macros at breakfast which can be a carb-heavy meal for lots of people (for me it ends up being reasonably low carb, as I like to have a vegetable omelet, although I may add cottage cheese or greek yogurt or fruit which ups the carbs some).

Beyond that, really just portion control -- I limit my servings of potatoes and pasta and the like and fill in the volume with vegetables and the calories with the meat/fish.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    I have pcos and try to limit my carbs, some days are better then others. Sandwich thins are lower than bread and there are low carb wraps out there. Lettuce will wrap some things. Pretzel thins are pretty good with hummus as is peppers. For dairy the higher the fat content the lower the carbs. For a nice treat if you like root beer floats, diet root beer with a little cream mixed in, not as think but the taste is there.
  • jacbianc5290
    jacbianc5290 Posts: 14 Member
    I try to eat under 45% carbs a day. I upgraded to premium so it's easier to tack macros. I'm not perfect all the time but i get it majority of the time! I hav pcos also add me! jacbianc5290
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    jmac4263 wrote: »

If you don't have a health issue, eat your carbs within your caloric deficit.

You probably missed her 2nd post where the OP stated she has PCOS and is insulin sensitive.

OP, for the most part my wife has had to drop things like bread with a bigger focus on meats (especially bacon!!!), full fat dairy, nuts, hard cheeses, and lots of veggies with the occasionally low GI fruit. She does however do PB&J on rice cakes. Quaker makes some pretty good ones..

This group can help you too.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group