Women over 40 and already lifting? Let's build a supportive community!

Options

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I had a very long day playing in a corporate golf tournament. I am not a golfer but am proud to say I didn't embarrass myself LOL.

@megemrj You go girl! Keep hitting that Strong Lifts! You are so smart to nail form before progression. I love sumo squats and do them regularly. Its the only squat I can go past parallel. My preference is as a goblet squat as opposed to the bb on my shoulders.

@WithWhatsLeft Damn girl, you really were just one big knot! I can't believe your shoulders wouldn't touch! Yikes! Thanks for the yoga link, I'll check that one out. I just found Ali's videos and I really like her style.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I do goblet squats, front squats, cable squats, back squats, wall squats and any other kind of squat I can manage. Luckily I don't have bad knees but I do struggle getting below parallel, parallel I can do. What I can't do is load too much weight on any of them. I think I've just lost some of the strength I had before my recent injuries.........climbing my way back up though hopefully!

I do have another suggestion for those of us with weak shoulders. My trainer has me doing inverted rows and two weeks ago I could barely lift myself off the floor I was so weak. Today I touched the bar with my chest and felt really strong in my shoulder. I didn't realize how much strength I'd lost because of the injury but it seems to be coming back fairly quickly now.

If I can work the OHP back in I think I might be able to get back to Strong Lifts!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @modmom1 - Congrats on a nice tourney! Thanks for the squat suggestion. I've been contemplating trying goblet. I hope to start working a little kettlebell activity into my routine soon and will try them then. The other kettle activity would only be supplementary, as I've been warned that too much may hinder progression of SL.

@luluinca - front squats? Rock on. I'm butt heavy and my balance is awful anyway the few times I tried them I almost face planted. The cable squats, I will be researching immediately. Thank you! Btw glad you are doing well with recovery. OHP is my favorite lift! Lulu come back to the program **said in my best imaginary Darth Vader voice**
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @megemrj...........I love SL, so yes I'm trying. I've actually started with a lighter bar doing OHP but the 45 is still going to be tough. I'm doing some walking with a KB overhead and gradually increasing the weight there so eventually I'll get back to the bar at least.....LOL

I think cable squats will give you the benefit of doing squats without the extra strain on your knees....hope it helps! And hey.....there's more than one way to "skin a cat".............pardon the expression..... ;)

My favorite lift is Dead Lift.........absolutely love how strong it makes me feel!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I would love to follow this thread! (but am not adding friends - I just don't want to feel an obligation to keep up with people)

I am turning 42 in a couple of weeks. I have been lifting for a year and 4 months? Something like that. I have been maintaining my weight. I am really interested in a bulk and cut cycle. I plan on starting late July/early August. I plan to very slowly add 10 pounds with a possible end time of January/February. This should give me enough time to cut before shorts season.

Have any of you ladies done a bulk and cut cycle? Where you happy with the results?
  • modmom1
    Options
    Welcome @bioklutz. Glad to have you here.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Also, God blessed me, ABUNDANTLY, with a big butt, huge tight calfs, inner ear imbalance, and over all clumsiness. Not excuses, just things I work with. Any help with those areas?

@megemrg - I can't help you out with those areas either since I'm short, with flat butt, tight hips, squishy tummy, heavy thighs, and probably clumsy too since I always seem to get bruises on my legs. I'm hoping all this lifting will help out.

This is to everyone else: what are your macros and how much protein do you eat? I'm trying to get about 100 grams of protein a day, sometimes more sometimes less, and I'm not consistent.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was at 40%P/40%C/20%F - shooting for 100-130g protein. Lately, I've just been concentrating on making sure I hit my protein macro, have between 20-36g fat and the rest in carbs.

Glad I'm not the only one with bruises all over their legs.
  • modmom1
    Options
    I'm normally 40%C/30%P/30%F. Right now, getting ready for the shoot I'm 25%C/50%P/25%F. That's a big change for me. Next week I'll be dropping my carbs drastically. I've already warned my husband :wink:
  • megemrj
    Options
    5%C/25%P/70%F here

I aim for around 81-93 g protein except on Fast days
  • modmom1
    Options
    @megemrj can I message you for some low/no carb ideas? I have 3 days of nearly no carbs coming up next week.
  • sublimesolutions
    sublimesolutions Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today I weighed in and my bf hasn't moved. My trainer reviewed my food and pointed out that although I was eating below my calories my father macros were way too high. I argued that according to the Twinkie experiment...a calorie is a calorie. But I learned that macros matter and it depends on your body type. Apparently my body type doesn't work well on high fat. I need more protein and less fat. And healthy fats are sneaky and can sabotage your results...I was eating too much avocado and egg yolks. That being said, I don't believe there are banned foods...I can still have my avocado and yolks, just less of it.

If you are not getting the results you expect check your macros. Everyone is different and you need to monitor and adjust according to your body type.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese are my nemesis @sublimesolutions. I used to eat way too much of them. And fruit. I have to limit myself now.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I use my body weight to set my macros:
    Protein: body weight x 0.8-1.0
    Fat: body weight x 0.4
    Carbs: no goal :wink:

I view protein and fat as minimums. And carbs just fall wherever they fall.

This site has been a great resource for me: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles/
  • megemrj
    Options
    @modmom1 - message away! Glad to help :)
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have the same macro ratio as @megemrj. I have been eating this way since March and it has changed my life in regards to food completely, plus I am the leanest I have been my whole life. Carbs are like heroin for me- I do much better without them in my diet, other than low carb veggies. My running has even improved significantly.

Leg day today. I will be sore tomorrow- it's already setting in.
  • modmom1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies!! Any weekend plans? I have a wedding to go to today (boss's daughter/co-worker) then I plan to enjoy the sunny weather we're expecting.

@60to35 how are your legs today? :wink:
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Got my SL workout done for the day, plus some extras, then a 30 minute run. While I do like SL, I have to get some cardio in because that's just my thing. I like the rush running gives me :) My shoulder bothered me a bit when doing the overhead presses but I managed to finish my reps at 50 lbs and good form. I'll stay at this weight next week and try moving up the following week.

My AH HA moment yesterday was mixing my protein powder with water that my gym instructor mentioned. I never though about doing that since I though it would taste bad, but it wasn't that bad at all and I didn't have to count any extra calories for all the added fruits/milk/etc. Now I know how to get my extra protein in. DUH!

Today, I decided to work out before my IF lunch break at 12:30. I was pleasantly surprised how much energy I had doing SL followed by the run. I guess the coffee had a lot to do with it. I may have to keep up with this routine for a while.

Weekend plans: picking up sold out Violent Femmes tickets from Craigslist guy (so excited!!), then clean house since I'm overdue for a nice Spring cleaning. Have a great weekend.
  • megemrj
    Options
    @modmom1 happy dancing cause it's Friday!! My BIG plans...workout, clean house, swim, sun, and grill as many meals as possible!

@dcresider - that's awesome that you were able to do them all and had to make you feel good! I don't progress the fastest, I'm probably too careful and not even injured at the moment. If it doesn't feel right I take my time until it does. It's funny the hubs was making fun of me two days ago bc ur supposed to be able to finish SL in 45 mins...took me an hour just to finish my squats (included my warm ups) LOL! Had to do my bench press and rows at home. But I did it. You got this.

I add my non-flavored protein powder to my coffee after my workouts. Of course, it's not just coffee but rather should be known as my frufru drink which has 3 cups of coffee in it.

• hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm so glad this thread was started; I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments and learning about your journeys! I'm 41, and was an avid runner for about 20 years but that kind of fizzled after I got married (to a non-exerciser) and moved to an area that is mostly concrete and tops 100° for at least 5 months out of the year. That was my excuse for stopping pretty much all exercise. After some health problems last year, I finally forced myself to get back in shape, and dragged myself to the gym.

I'm now doing mostly weight lifting (and loving it!), with maybe a couple of HIIT workouts thrown in during the week. I was putzing around with Strong Curves for a while (this was before the gym, so I had limited equipment), and am currently doing P.H.U.L. I've lost most of the weight I wanted, but when I went lower, my upper body looked too stringy/bony for my taste, while my lower half still clung to the pudge for dear life. So I'm working on eating at (basically) maintenance for now and trying to build more muscle in my work-horse legs (as my grandma calls them) in the hopes that they'll be strong and not just big. I'm also working on the booty, which is stubbornly remaining only slightly less flat than a pancake.

Glad to be here and I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!