How Making Real Changes Led to My 87 Pound Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I really needed this- thank you so much for posting and congrats on your successes!!
  • 2strive4fitness
    2strive4fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy reading your posts and feel inspired. I too have tried every diet out there and I agree they do not work! I have battled with my weight and have obsessed about food and dieting my entire life! I was the fat kid in grammar school and the fat girl in high school (weighing about 20 to 25 lbs more than all my friends. Looking back at pictures, I looked just fine, but I always felt that I wasn't good enough and compared myself to the other girls who looked like the ones in the magazines. I am 49 years old and I am trying a new approach. Actually I was inspired by first reading your post titled success or self-sabotage. It helped me to realize that this is a forever journey. I have this entire time been forcing myself to diet and eat things I didn't like while thinking to myself if I can just get through this! If it takes 3 months, 6 months, a year then everything will be great and things can go back to normal. So, my journey begins! MFP is set for 1 lb a week. I have been doing intentional exercise ( walking which I have always done & enjoy) along with some strength training and some bike riding. I have been trying to drink more water and eat more fruits and vegetables and I eat foods I enjoy. Also, I am logging everything! I am trying not to label foods good or bad. I am trying not to beat myself up and throw in the towel if and when I go over my calories for the day. As you pointed out it is just one day - just a drop in the big ocean. I try to only weigh every week or two. I am easily discouraged by any gains, so I am trying to gauge more by how I feel and how my clothes fit. Also, I took my measurements.

Congrats on all your progress and I look forward to your future posts which always hit home and inspire me.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    What a great post, thank you so much for sharing your perspective and words of wisdom. :)
  • kellyw0624
    kellyw0624 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing - just what I needed to read. I actually cried in the dressing room of Lane Bryant this weekend feeling terrible about myself...and I wear the smallest size in the store. Really struggling with my self-talk right now so appreciate you sharing your success and way of looking at things. Wonderful read.
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Happiness is the true measure of success
    I love this story more than any other one!!!
    Thank you for making me feel sane.
    Too many of my friends have struggles and fight so hard for progress.
    So much appreciation for being brave and telling everyone the truth: it really can be simple and pleasant if we allow it to be. It only takes a bit of patience.
    Congratulations for achieving the ultimate success!!!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    kellyw0624 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing - just what I needed to read. I actually cried in the dressing room of Lane Bryant this weekend feeling terrible about myself...and I wear the smallest size in the store. Really struggling with my self-talk right now so appreciate you sharing your success and way of looking at things. Wonderful read.

Well, dressing rooms are EVIL! You'd think that the owners, who are trying to sell clothes, would put in magic mirrors and while we tried on dresses these little machines would waft fabulous scents and soft music would be playing and sale associates would bring glass after glass of delicious drinks. Alas. We all have and will always have the dreadful moments in the dressing room. I doubt I'll move beyond that in this lifetime. But I do feel better now than I used to. I hope you do, too.
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude you have! I so enjoyed reading your posting this morning. Thanks for sharing and contributing to kicking off my morning with a smile.
  • kymberkaye
    kymberkaye Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Thank you for sharing your heart so openly! If I tell myself I cannot have chocolate or Blue Bell ice cream or whatever, then i want it even more! I want to be able to eat what im hungry for, but in moderation. If my hubby and i go out to eat, I request a to go box when i place my order. I put half the food in it and then eat until im "satisfied", not "full". I just know if i deprive myself of something, it's not pretty. Lol This was all working great for me until I fell, broke bones in both feet. Ive put almost 30 lbs back on.
    You've encouraged me to get up and move as much as i can and keep eating like i have been.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love this, I'm the same weight, the same height just 12 months behind. I've tried several times, and quickly was, 'ah cr*p, I accidentally ate my own bodyweight in mars bars, won't log that, start again tomorrow. Actually tomorrow there's cake at work, I'll start again on Monday'.

I've got over the 'when I'm x weight I'll be happy'. Some 2 years later I'm listening to my councellor and realising exercise does make you feel better.

I don't know exactly what's changed but this time I'm logging eveything, 8 weeks I'm 11lb down. and this time I feel differently about it. I'm not cutting anything out (though I have been lowering my carbs as I know they don't satisfy me for the kcal burden). A moderate do-able deficit rather than 'I have to fit into that size x dress by x date'

I've found that I concentrate less on my daily kcal, but work on my weekly average as no two days are exactly the same :smiley:

ETA: I don't even like Mars bars that much but I damn well ate them, and also, I've not stopped drinking my calories, because I can't imagine cutting that out forever. I'm only trying to do what I think I can maintain forever. Yes it is annoying that my OH has lost more without trying but that doesn't take away from my success.
  • cmteach4
    cmteach4 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wonderful life story and I am so glad of your happy ending! You are a beautiful strong intelligent personal n! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    I love this, I'm the same weight, the same height just 12 months behind. I've tried several times, and quickly was, 'ah cr*p, I accidentally ate my own bodyweight in mars bars, won't log that, start again tomorrow. Actually tomorrow there's cake at work, I'll start again on Monday'.

I've got over the 'when I'm x weight I'll be happy'. Some 2 years later I'm listening to my councellor and realising exercise does make you feel better.

I don't know exactly what's changed but this time I'm logging eveything, 8 weeks I'm 11lb down. and this time I feel differently about it. I'm not cutting anything out (though I have been lowering my carbs as I know they don't satisfy me for the kcal burden). A moderate do-able deficit rather than 'I have to fit into that size x dress by x date'

I've found that I concentrate less on my daily kcal, but work on my weekly average as no two days are exactly the same :smiley:

ETA: I don't even like Mars bars that much but I damn well ate them, and also, I've not stopped drinking my calories, because I can't imagine cutting that out forever. I'm only trying to do what I think I can maintain forever. Yes it is annoying that my OH has lost more without trying but that doesn't take away from my success.

I can't put my finger on it exactly either. For whatever reason this time is sticking. I figure I will always struggle with my body/weight/food, but I am in a better place now than ever before. You sound like you're off on this journey that is forever. Good for you!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I can't put my finger on it exactly either. For whatever reason this time is sticking. I figure I will always struggle with my body/weight/food, but I am in a better place now than ever before. You sound like you're off on this journey that is forever. Good for you!

Thanks, it certainly brought it into perspective, as I've just returned from a mini-break with friends.

There was some of us sitting around a campfire eating (for me, a specified number) of toasted marshmallows and the friend on slimming world saying 'I can't eat that, I need to lose x pounds by x date'.

I just had a relaxed holiday with my old friends and maintained for a week which was my aim. As of this morning I'm down by 12.1lb!
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Thank you! It took me many many many years, attempts, failures to finally realize I could eat what i wanted, but i had to change my lifestyle, learn portion control, and what do you know, i have finally started to lose. I always feel bad when i see or hear people say they can't have something because they are on a diet. I have chosen to eat clean most of the time and I am now a pescatarian. I have never felt better. What you put in your mouth, really does matter. Quality vs. Quantity :)
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I am a living breathing representation of what you said regarding you do not have to deprive yourself. I have been those people posting about the strict diet, cutting out bad foods in order to lose weight. Working out like a crazy person only to not be able to keep it up and eating hot wings again and gaining it back.

This time around you and I used the same "plan" but it isn't a plan it is simply what you said eat what you want but not ALL you want ALL of the time. Once the calories are gone that is at and like you I eat my exercise ones and sometimes i may even go ten or so over. There are weeks I lose not a pound and other weeks I lose two pounds. Slow and steady really does win the race!!! Great post!!!

PS: I am scared about maintenance but not really. I haven't done anything drastic this time around I really think it will stick!
  • godlikepoetyes
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »

PS: I am scared about maintenance but not really. I haven't done anything drastic this time around I really think it will stick!

Yes. I am scared too. I am sort of in maintenance now, i.e. trying to figure out if my body wants to lose more weight, if I want to lose more. I refuse to lose to the point where I am a bag of bones and loose skin. I don't want that gaunt sick look that women my age can get when they lose a lot of weight. I don't suspect I'll be anywhere near my "ideal" weight range ever again.

• mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    your such an inspiration to me xox
  • Ms_fitgirl
    Ms_fitgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing story and very honest. Most people spend years yoyo dieting until it finally clicks and they learn a balance. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this. Thanks for sharing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!