Will it be worth it? Or am I just fooling myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and working on it (again). I know how you're feeling. You've now had enough time that you are likely missing the "bad" foods you've probably tried to avoid to get your current progress. You've lost some weight, but when you look in the mirror you're not really seeing any change. Wouldn't it be great just to go back eating all that junk (that's kind of comforting) and just give up? As others have said, you make the decisions. You're "old", and you're going to get older (God willing). That's going to happen either way, and you can choose to get older and be unhealthy and unhappy, or you can choose to get older and get healthier (and with better health, you'll probably be happier too). Soon you'll start noticing that even though you don't look much different in the mirror, your clothes will start fitting looser and you have to cinch the belt in a little tighter. At some point, someone's going to notice and comment about your weight loss, and those things will motivate you a bit more. Hang in there, you're definitely not alone.
  • TheHappyLoser
    TheHappyLoser Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel like I typed an SOS and you all came to my rescue. Thank you all so much. You are right, it is my choice. Either I stay fat and immobile or I get my butt up, cry a little now and then and become a slimmer version of me. This will be the last "fat" summer.

Many of the things you all said resonated with me. I guess I just had a pity party and felt sorry for myself. I decided to give myself an 180-day challenge to turn my life around. It's just half a year and lately, time seems to fly. I will try not to be obsessed by the number on the scale, but rather by my improvement. I want to walk our puppy and I want to be able to get up and down without feeling like fainting. I am tired of being the fat lady, I want to wear my real clothes again.

I will hang in there and I will not give up. I could have eaten myself into a frenzy during my pity party, but I didn't. Thank you guys!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is ABSOLUTELY work it! Can you feel a difference since you've started? Do you feel healthier, happier, more srong, able to walk further or move better? Think about all the things that have improved in your life since you've made this life change.

9lbs in 21 days is amazing, but it's not JUST about the weightloss, especially as we get older. My mom turned 60 this year & she was ecstatic. She said, "when I was younger I thought I would be OLD when I was 60. But I'm swimming every day and doing yoga and gardening. I feel wonderful!" At 50 you still have LOTS of years ahead of you! You say you can't do all the things that your younger friends can, but what about the things you CAN do? I bet there is plenty!

Everyone has those dark moments, where they feel like crap and wonder what's the point. But you don't have to stay there! Every day is a new day. It is worth it, and YOU are worth it. Hope you are feeling better!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I feel like I typed an SOS and you all came to my rescue. Thank you all so much. You are right, it is my choice. Either I stay fat and immobile or I get my butt up, cry a little now and then and become a slimmer version of me. This will be the last "fat" summer.

Many of the things you all said resonated with me. I guess I just had a pity party and felt sorry for myself. I decided to give myself an 180-day challenge to turn my life around. It's just half a year and lately, time seems to fly. I will try not to be obsessed by the number on the scale, but rather by my improvement. I want to walk our puppy and I want to be able to get up and down without feeling like fainting. I am tired of being the fat lady, I want to wear my real clothes again.

I will hang in there and I will not give up. I could have eaten myself into a frenzy during my pity party, but I didn't. Thank you guys!

Save this comment. ^^ Paste it on the first page your journal. Yes, start a journal/scrapbook for this journey. Remembering where I started keeps me going on many days. I don't want to go back there, so I keep moving forward.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I feel like "why am I doing this, I'll still be ugly". I'm physically disabled, and my legs/hips are deformed, and I walk on crutches. Even at a very healthy weight, I won't look good - I'm always going to look like a freak. But, I keep reminding myself I'm doing this to be healthy and working out to be strong. I do not want to have a major stroke, have high blood pressure, diabetes and be morbidly obese like my mother. I have enough problems with my disability. I don't need to cause other issues from the way I live my life. Sometimes you have to find another reason other than looking good, to put in the work.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm nearly 50 and back losing weight AGAIN!
    I keep thinking, I'm a smart person, surely I should have worked this out by now....?
    But the reality is that we don't always make the best decisions througout our lives and while we can turn those around it does take time.

My perspective this time is that this is for life. I'm not starting a diet, I'm not on a "journey" (there's no end to this, no destination, no time limit), I'm just working on developing good habits (eating less and moving more) that I have to keep up for ever.
    I'm not excited about this, not even really when I see the number on the scale go down - I'm happy but resigned.

Some days I will do well (ie. eat a delicious variety of nutritious food), other days I'm going to eat more than I want to because I'm feeling sorry for myself, other days I will eat more than is good for me but enjoy every bite of it. And all of that is OK. I just have to work on having more days where I stick with my good habits that the other days.

One thing I do enjoy is seeing progress in the things I like to do. I run (so slowly that I will probably get overtaken by a turtle one day) and it's fun to find that I can go a bit further and a bit faster as I get that bit lighter.
    And I wore a skirt to work yesterday that hasn't been out of my wardrobe for quite some time. And I'm loving being in a challenge group here on MFP, having that community around me all with the same goal (to try to beat the Slytherins!).

Good luck with your progress and keep checking in here, this is a great community!

PS. @mom22dogs - i read your name and thought "22 dogs, wow she must have to buy a lot of dog food!"
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Being healthy and fit is always worth the effort. Almost 47 here, down 60, almost to goal and WAY healthier than I was at 37. Not about turning back time, it's about having QUALITY of the time ahead! Keep on keeping on!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Up until she was 59 she could have tried to live healthy, but she didn't. Mom was 59 when she died.
  • TheHappyLoser
    TheHappyLoser Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. We might hate the fact, but people die. A healthy lifestyle and an ideal weight is not a free pass to a long and happy life. That's not how it works.

Treasure the memories of your Mom, cherish the time you had together and don't feel anger or bitterness toward her, just because you think she could have changed something. We are all human, we make choices and pay the price.

I am writing this because I felt bitterness between the lines!