Underweight and need serious help

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Can you post pics? 8% for s female is shredded...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Can you post pics? 8% for s female is shredded...

Hell, that is pretty shredded for males.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've gotten lots of great advice. Calorie and nutrition dense foods would be great for you. Above were mentioned nuts and avocados, foods like that. And healthy too. Carry hiker's mix with you and snack frequently. As you eat more frequently your appetite will come back.

I think a switch to weight lifting for a while (as another poster has mentioned) would be helpful.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

OP, this thread will give you additional ideas of some food options.
  • aliceband21
    aliceband21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One more thing: you need to be intentional about gaining weight for it to happen. Set yourself goals and targets - work out what a healthy weight is for you (don't judge this by the BMI in isolation - judge it also by when you get your periods regularly). Just as people don't lose weight by merely recognising they need to (although this is the first and vital step), you have to make a conscious decision to gain weight. However, the very fact that you are here gives me no doubt that you are a motivated and intelligent individual; being 'health-conscious' is JUST AS MUCH about putting on weight as it is losing, and it demonstrates true strength of character to resist the weight-loss culture and put your health first in this way.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and weigh 112. I dipped down to 108 when training for a half marathon I ran in March. I did not stop training like a marathon when I was over. After a month after the marathon I embarrassingly admit that I lost my period, I developed unexplained chronic fatique and just a complete feeling of unwell. Went and had blood work done and I bascially did suffer metabolic exhaustion from over training. My thryroid was low (T4) along with some other irregular or out of normal range metabolic tests.

Be careful with what ever you do. The best thing I ever did to recover was complete rest, no exercise (no running, no lifting and eating normally). This took me 14 days of nothing, but eating and after this two weeks I feeling well enough to incorporate very low exercise with a slight increase over a month, to what I am doing now.

This can hurt you and if you do not heed to doctors and family and even when your own body is communication with you, you can do some real damage.

My outcome, I am back to normal (got my period back), I still run, I do not run 45 miles a week any longer, but that has been cut in half (or down to 4 runs a week at about 20 - 24 miles) and I lift weights a gain and have been on a weight gain for the past month hoping to put on lean muscle and do a clean bulk.

You need to be ready to do what it is you need to do to put on weight. Everyone around you is signaling to you, its up to you to pay attention and heed warnings of loved ones, and please do this before your body shuts down.. I hope that you cut the miles way down on your running. Lifting weights and running still puts a demand on your body and if you do not treat it right and fuel it properly.. well I am a prime example of what can happen. :)
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for athletic females at 12%-15% (which is what I'm betting the OP is at) to lose their periods. I doubt the OP is at under 9%. Her face (if that's a current pic) doesn't look "gaunt".
    OP would you mind posting a pic?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Seriously thank you everyone for feedback. I am seeing my doctor next week but went to a wellness center yesterday where they did an "inBody" test. They said it was very accurate. I plan on decreasing running to two 5 milers per week but still lifting 3x per week. I always take 2 rest days per week.

And just got back from grocery shopping with lots of nuts, avocados and whole fat Greek yogurt.

My picture is not a recent one. My face is a lot thinner but I haven't thought of it as "gaunt" looking. My arms don't look like there's any fat and my torso you can kinda see my ribs and spine (obviously you can if I move or stretch at all but not as much just standing). I'll try to take pics and post them today.

I am determined to get healthy. I didn't think it was a problem before but after talking to my nurse sister I realize it's worse than I thought. But I am going to start tracking my food again and make sure I hit my calorie goal. Right now it is set to 1900, do y'all think that's a good number? MFP suggested 2200 but that seems way high...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    inBody is a BIA test. It's not likely to be accurate at all.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and weigh 112. I dipped down to 108 when training for a half marathon I ran in March. I did not stop training like a marathon when I was over. After a month after the marathon I embarrassingly admit that I lost my period, I developed unexplained chronic fatique and just a complete feeling of unwell. Went and had blood work done and I bascially did suffer metabolic exhaustion from over training. My thryroid was low (T4) along with some other irregular or out of normal range metabolic tests.

Be careful with what ever you do. The best thing I ever did to recover was complete rest, no exercise (no running, no lifting and eating normally). This took me 14 days of nothing, but eating and after this two weeks I feeling well enough to incorporate very low exercise with a slight increase over a month, to what I am doing now.

This can hurt you and if you do not heed to doctors and family and even when your own body is communication with you, you can do some real damage.

My outcome, I am back to normal (got my period back), I still run, I do not run 45 miles a week any longer, but that has been cut in half (or down to 4 runs a week at about 20 - 24 miles) and I lift weights a gain and have been on a weight gain for the past month hoping to put on lean muscle and do a clean bulk.

You need to be ready to do what it is you need to do to put on weight. Everyone around you is signaling to you, its up to you to pay attention and heed warnings of loved ones, and please do this before your body shuts down.. I hope that you cut the miles way down on your running. Lifting weights and running still puts a demand on your body and if you do not treat it right and fuel it properly.. well I am a prime example of what can happen. :)
    It's not uncommon for athletic females at 12%-15% (which is what I'm betting the OP is at) to lose their periods. I doubt the OP is at under 9%. Her face (if that's a current pic) doesn't look "gaunt".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seriously thank you everyone for feedback. I am seeing my doctor next week but went to a wellness center yesterday where they did an "inBody" test. They said it was very accurate. I plan on decreasing running to two 5 milers per week but still lifting 3x per week. I always take 2 rest days per week.

And just got back from grocery shopping with lots of nuts, avocados and whole fat Greek yogurt.

My picture is not a recent one. My face is a lot thinner but I haven't thought of it as "gaunt" looking. My arms don't look like there's any fat and my torso you can kinda see my ribs and spine (obviously you can if I move or stretch at all but not as much just standing). I'll try to take pics and post them today.

I am determined to get healthy. I didn't think it was a problem before but after talking to my nurse sister I realize it's worse than I thought. But I am going to start tracking my food again and make sure I hit my calorie goal. Right now it is set to 1900, do y'all think that's a good number? MFP suggested 2200 but that seems way high...

Nope doesn't seem that high at all. At 5'4'' 108lbs I burned around 2100 a day (with strength training and cardio). Considering you're training for a marathon, 2200 seems completely reasonable. You should probably schedule an appointment with your gynecologist as well (your doctor will most likely refer you to him anyways). From my personal experience, he'll probably give you a blood test to check your hormone levels and that you're not pregnant (it's a legal thing). In my case, I had low estrogen levels so I was prescribed Medroxyprogesterone (a female hormone that helps regulate ovulation and menstrual periods). Then once that medication induced my period, I was put on a birth control pill to regulate and maintain one until I gained enough body fat naturally regulate my hormone levels. This of course isn't a replacement for weight gain, but it should at least solve your amenorrhea until you can gain enough weight.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    InBody is a measurement using Bio-Electrical-Impedence. That's known for being wildly inaccurate for some people. Which is a relief, you probably are much closer to a healthy bodyfat percentage than the measurement indicated.

Whew.

It sounds like you are addressing the overtraining and undereating, and I don't think you need to worry about gaining weight really, but do need to eat to fund your training, and yes for your fertility to return.

Well done, you are on the right track.
  • aliceband21
    aliceband21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I suggest you increase gradually, perhaps by 100kcal every 2-3 days. Work out how much you're eating at the moment and then take it from there. Some people put on weight easily, but if you're continuing to exercise you may not. 2200 may seem like a large number, but:

a) Your metabolism will soon catch up - you may even find you need to eat up to 3000 to increase
    b) Any 'number' above what you're used to will seem high. Remember, the '2000 a day' rule does NOT apply to people trying to gain weight - calories are entirely personal. End of.
    c) As long as you spread your calories evenly throughout the day and eat calorie-dense foods, it will be manageable
    d) Nobody is asking you to eat 3000kcal worth of avocados every day for the rest of your life. This is simply until you reach a healthy weight, and then you can work on maintenance when you're healthier.

Have you thought about getting any psychological support? You may simply need to gain weight, but my guess is that you might find it helpful to work with a professional on how you perceive yourself/food/exercise
  • simmoner4
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope doesn't seem that high at all. At 5'4'' 108lbs I burned around 2100 a day (with strength training and cardio). Considering you're training for a marathon, 2200 seems completely reasonable. You should probably schedule an appointment with your gynecologist as well (your doctor will most likely refer you to him anyways). From my personal experience, he'll probably give you a blood test to check your hormone levels and that you're not pregnant (it's a legal thing). In my case, I had low estrogen levels so I was prescribed Medroxyprogesterone (a female hormone that helps regulate ovulation and menstrual periods). Then once that medication induced my period, I was put on a birth control pill to regulate and maintain one until I gained enough body fat naturally regulate my hormone levels. This of course isn't a replacement for weight gain, but it should at least solve your amenorrhea until you can gain enough weight.

Yes it is my gyno I will be seeing! And that is good to know because I feel like even 1900 is a ton of food. I guess I just don't know how munch I burn. Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    2200 might be a good start. Track for a month and then add more calories if you arent gaining enough.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    I have posted a new profile picture that is more recent.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP I suggest talking to a therapist.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I know no competitive runners who are not underweight by standard measures. I wouldn't be asking this question here. Talk to your doctor and share your goals with him or her. You may find that you're fine. You may not. This isn't the right forum though IMHO (given the drama I've seen anytime a woman is on the low end of the BMI scale), and I'd take everything said here with a grain of salt.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been following your thread OP and I just wanted to wish you good luck in your journey :) please do let us know how you're getting on, and I definitely agree with the comments about setting attainable goals
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    How did you get your bf%? I doubt your at 8.8% body fat. The only sure fire way is through water immersion. Every other way is not as accurate, especially bioelectric impedence which typically underestimates body fat % the lower and more athletic you are. The minimum (estimated) for a woman to survive is somewhere between 13-17% but varies. If you're still having your period, that is a good indicator that your body fat percentage is fine for you. When you stop having your period, especially at your age, that is a red flag that your BF is too low.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    How did you get your bf%? I doubt your at 8.8% body fat. The only sure fire way is through water immersion. Every other way is not as accurate, especially bioelectric impedence which typically underestimates body fat % the lower and more athletic you are. The minimum (estimated) for a woman to survive is somewhere between 13-17% but varies. If you're still having your period, that is a good indicator that your body fat percentage is fine for you. When you stop having your period, especially at your age, that is a red flag that your BF is too low.
    It was bio electric but I'm doing another test on Monday the old fashioned measuring way. And everything I have learned is that 10-15% is the minimum for proper menstration, not to survive?
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    It was bio electric but I'm doing another test on Monday the old fashioned measuring way. And everything I have learned is that 10-15% is the minimum for proper menstration, not to survive?

You're definitely not 8% body fat. Calipers and measurements are also widely inaccurate. You'd need a dexa scan but I'm not sure why you're body fat even matters?, 10% is extremely low for a female unless you really had a high percentage or were quite underweight. My bmi is 15.9 and my body fat is no where near that low.

You're pretty close to a healthy weight as it is (less than 10 lbs to gain). If you're training and it's not a body image thing, it will probably clear up when you aren't training so much. Talk to your doctor of course but given your amount of exercise and the period loss being recent they'll probably give it some time after your marathon. Just as a heads up if they do, consider waiting until after race, if your race is soon. The hormonal dumping makes you feel like *kitten*...
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yeah keep the healthy snacks around through the entire day, and don't forget the important healthy fats ☺