Women over 40 and already lifting? Let's build a supportive community!

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @hcdo you sound like my twin! Well, except for the running part. I run away from running. LOL. I'm in Houston, so I understand the heat issue. I commuted by bike all through last summer, but we were lucky as the heat index didn't get much above 105. It was a cool summer.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Hi all. Got my SL workout done for the day, plus some extras, then a 30 minute run. While I do like SL, I have to get some cardio in because that's just my thing. I like the rush running gives me :) My shoulder bothered me a bit when doing the overhead presses but I managed to finish my reps at 50 lbs and good form. I'll stay at this weight next week and try moving up the following week.

My AH HA moment yesterday was mixing my protein powder with water that my gym instructor mentioned. I never though about doing that since I though it would taste bad, but it wasn't that bad at all and I didn't have to count any extra calories for all the added fruits/milk/etc. Now I know how to get my extra protein in. DUH!

Today, I decided to work out before my IF lunch break at 12:30. I was pleasantly surprised how much energy I had doing SL followed by the run. I guess the coffee had a lot to do with it. I may have to keep up with this routine for a while.

Weekend plans: picking up sold out Violent Femmes tickets from Craigslist guy (so excited!!), then clean house since I'm overdue for a nice Spring cleaning. Have a great weekend.

Holy crap! 50 pound overhead press! Is that 50 pound dumbbells?!

I am skipping weights today. I usually lift M/W/F. We had a work party today and I am too full to lift and keep my food down!
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @dcresider- did I read that correctly? The Violent Femmes?!?! Have loved them since the 80s! Lucky girl!! Think I still have their cassettes.

@modmom1- the legs aren't so bad today but they were heavy during my run. That's the thing about running though- you either feel like Paula Radcliffe or you are wondering who tied cement shoes to your feet.

Today was arms- biceps and triceps and the dreaded abs... my weakness. Hate working on them. It hurts (waaaaah) and I seem to improve very slowly. Although I am able to do 3 sets of 10 pike sit ups now which was a dream a couple of months ago. Still no washboard showing up though :(
    Ended it with a 30 minute HIIT run on the TM. No more running outside as we saw a black cougar today. This is a picture of its footprint
    m3f1sm6ua5vt.jpeg
    Aaack!
    Sunglasses are for scale! They weren't spit out!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Been lifting for awhile. I usually just get idea from magazines, the internet or my BF. Getting ready to go to the gym in a bit but not sure what body part I'm going to work on. My struggle lately has been getting in 2-3 lifting days a week cause my schedule has been a little off lately. That and I like to take classes which tend to involve lifting as well. My struggle right now is also cleaning up my diet.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    A black cougar @60to35??!! Ack!!!

For the abs, I've started using ankle weights and man does it really work those hard lower abs when doing exercises like pike, starfish, mountain climbers, hollow body, etc.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Nice to find this thread, if it turns into a private group, I'd love to be part of it. I'm 52 and on day 1254 here. I'm currently down 103 lbs. I was a few lower, then gained some back and have been plateauing. I started lifting heavy last summer, I do it twice a week, schedule permitting, as well as a couple of bodyweight training classes - I'm a huge fan of TRX. On Monday I scheduled an appt for a Bod Pod test at a local university and was pleasantly surprised to be at 26.8% in the "moderately lean" category. From being a morbidly obese woman most of my life, this was huge. I wasn't sure if the lifting was paying off, it's hard to get out of the cardio/must burn calories mindset, but apparently it is. I met with my dietician and she's got me aiming for another ten pounds or so, which should land me at 22% body fat.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @kar328

Wow! Awesome results. Glad you know for certain it's working.I have thought about doing the bod pod. What does it entail? I think I may be the small %age of the population the BMI charts don't work for: short, muscular, large frame. I'm less than 10 lbs away from normal range and it still says the same as when I was 55 lbs away.

Would love to know for sure as it really irks me sometimes!! Unless of course I'm doing it completely wrong. LOL

Welcome! Hoping we get own group, too.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Did my SL at home today.

Good workout, had to deload a little, my back felt tight to start. I took it really slowly and by the end not even a twitch! Yay. Lots better than not doing it at all or going too heavy and putting me out a week or two.

Still had lots of energy so came to the gym for cardio and abs. Love my workouts!!

Hubs suggested taking my energy to clean the house cleaning - hahaha he so CRAZY!
  • kar328
    edited June 2016
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    @kar328

Wow! Awesome results. Glad you know for certain it's working.I have thought about doing the bod pod. What does it entail?

Welcome! Hoping we get own group, too.

It involves no food or exercise for the two hours before the test. You have to wear either a bathing suit, or compression shorts and a sports bra, as well as a swim cap - the idea being you want no air pockets on your body to mess up the measurements. All jewelry off as well. I left mine off at home, but didn't take the Fitbit off till I hopped in :smiley: First you get weighed on their scale (I weighed at home before I left, in the same outfit, minus the cap and was happy to see my own scale is within tenths of a pound of theirs). You sit in the pod - and they close the door for 45 seconds, open it, do it again and if this is your first time, then do it one more time while you breathe in and out of a tube (holding your nose closed) as you follow the in/out instructions on the computer screen. Then you're done and get a printout of the results and go over them. As someone mildly claustrophobic, it was really easy and I didn't even close my eyes. I chatted with the woman about how close to maintenance I was and was looking for a final weight goal, so she then also plotted out two different weights and how the body fat numbers would correlate, one being 9 lbs and one 12 lbs away. It even accounts for the amount of muscle you'd lose, while losing fat, in my case she used a 10 % loss.

I took the results to my dietician who thinks that since I'm an "athelete" (still find it weird that she calls me that) I would end up losing 5% instead and we settled on a number. And I'll do the test again when I get to it.

• 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @kar328- I am laughing right now because I read your first post as "I am down to 103" instead of "I am down 103". I was thinking, "and they want her down another 10- to 93?!?!" That's harsh, regardless of height! Then I re-read it and realized that's how rumours get started! Anyways, superb job on the 103. Truly an awesome task.

@mom23mangos- how heavy a weight do you use for abs? I have some 5lb ankle weights. Will definitely give that a try to improve strength in that area. Great idea- thanks!

@megemrj- tell hubs that a clean house is the sign of an injured runner.

Shoulders today. I have gone from lifting 8 pounds for shoulders presses to 15 pounds in a month. It's not Arnold size, but it's getting better.
    Finished with a longish sloooooow TM run while watching an episode of The Good Wife on Netflix. Love Julianna M. I want her hair but would be completely inept at styling it myself ☹️ My styling ability stops at ponytail.
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey gals...just popping in quickly between errands. It's a busy day. I was going to ask if you thought we were ready for a private group and am delighted to see some of you have already thought it would be a great idea. I will set that up this weekend!! Thanks for turning this into a supportive and fun group of hard working gals!

I'll catch up with all of your posts when I get home. Have a strong and fun day!!

Welcome @hcdo, @vegasfit, @kar328
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Holy crap! 50 pound overhead press! Is that 50 pound dumbbells?!
    [/quote]

No not 50 lbs dumbbells. LOL. I don't think I could life that much if I tried. I lifted a total of 50lbs. on the olympic bar (45lbs.) and added 2.5 lbs. weights on the side.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    60to35 wrote: »
    @dcresider- did I read that correctly? The Violent Femmes?!?! Have loved them since the 80s! Lucky girl!! Think I still have their cassettes.

@modmom1- the legs aren't so bad today but they were heavy during my run. That's the thing about running though- you either feel like Paula Radcliffe or you are wondering who tied cement shoes to your feet.

Today was arms- biceps and triceps and the dreaded abs... my weakness. Hate working on them. It hurts (waaaaah) and I seem to improve very slowly. Although I am able to do 3 sets of 10 pike sit ups now which was a dream a couple of months ago. Still no washboard showing up though :(
    Ended it with a 30 minute HIIT run on the TM. No more running outside as we saw a black cougar today. This is a picture of its footprint
    m3f1sm6ua5vt.jpeg
    Aaack!
    Sunglasses are for scale! They weren't spit out!

@60to35 - I wish I still had my cassettes but hubby made me throw them away and replace them with CDs which are now useless. LOL!
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    What about men over 40 that lift?
  • modmom1
    Options
    I think it's awesome and you should start a group ;)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Kar328 - wow! What a fantastic transformation. I have considered getting my body fat tested. I just don't know if I would want to pay for it out of my own pocket! I am thinking of adding it to my Christmas wishlist.

I think I am around 21-22% body fat right now (just based on how I look visually - nothing scientific). After a bulk and cut I would love to be around to 20%. I think that for my age that is attainable and sustainable.

Does anyone else know what their body fat is?

60to35 - My overhead press is 15 lbs dumbbells. That lift has probably been my slowest to progress!

I used all that extra food I ate yesterday to add an extra set in today. Weeeeeeeee!
  • kar328
    Options
    @kar328- I am laughing right now because I read your first post as "I am down to 103" instead of "I am down 103". I was thinking, "and they want her down another 10- to 93?!?!" That's harsh, regardless of height! Then I re-read it and realized that's how rumours get started! Anyways, superb job on the 103. Truly an awesome task.

I think I was 103 lbs once. At the age of 10. :smiley:

Thanks! Glad I had some free time at work and was able to find log on here rather than trying to socialize with the coworkers. I'd love to be part of the group.
    Kar328 - wow! What a fantastic transformation. I have considered getting my body fat tested. I just don't know if I would want to pay for it out of my own pocket! I am thinking of adding it to my Christmas wishlist.[\quote]

This was $85, which was the highest I've seen listed. I was reading the forums and some other sites that mostly said $25-$45. To me it was worth it and it's probably something I'll do once a year after I hit my goal. I also get my Resting Metabolic Rate tested yearly, last year's numbers showed me that I lost too much muscle mass doing cardio and the dietician told me to start lifting and recommended one of the trainers (my gym is a wellness center).
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I just might be too old to be part of the group......LOL, but I would still love to.

I used to do a 55lb OHP but then I hurt my shoulder....uggghhh. I'm working my way back up though and right now I'm at 12kg, not much, but better than nothing. My bench is creeping up faster I think although I'm doing them from the floor at the squat rack so my elbows don't go below parallel. I'm at 55 right now unassisted but my normal was 90 unassisted.

Everything else is mostly back up to where I want it for now. DL at 145 lbs, squat at 125 lbs, and bent over row at 85 lbs. My leg press has crept back up to 470 lbs.

I'm really looking forward to my workout tomorrow since I missed Friday's workout and today just did cardio, running with my dog and swimming.

• modmom1
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    My shoulder bothered me a bit when doing the overhead presses but I managed to finish my reps at 50 lbs and good form. I'll stay at this weight next week and try moving up the following week.
    I'm truly speechless. That's an impressive OHP. I'm still building up my shoulder and staying at 15lb db's if repping 12.

I love Julianna M too @60to35

I have a confession to make....I want my carbs back. This is going to be hell week.I've decided that after the pictures I'm going on maintenance with my calories. I'm getting a little food obsessive this week and falling into old food fears. I want to eat and I want to lift and I want to stay the size I am. Hahahahaha
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Didn't really have any problems adhering to the "diet" and started with about 1400 calories and gradually upped my calories as I got stronger and could work out harder and burn more calories. At maintenance now but still eating at a slight deficit during the week because I tend to go over on the weekends.