Can never decide on a cheat meal I fancy??

Options
Anyone else have this issue, Saturday I have my cheat meal, the issue is I can never think of anything I fancy. I live on brown rice, chicken, turkey, salad etc all week so I look forward to a change from the same old same old, but when it comes to it as I say I can never decided, last week I just gave up wrecking my head about it and missed dinner altogether and it seems to be going the same way this week.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think about my favorite cheat meals all day every day and dream of the day when I can actually have one. Sorry I can't help. (there needs to be an emoji of fried whole belly clams in a thought bubble)
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Then don't have one! It's hardly an obligation.

Yeah I know but its a change from the same old, I can eat pretty much anything, not a fussy guy however there is a difference between enjoying something and just eating it. All week I "just eat" Not a big lover of brown rice etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    As the others have mentioned ... eat a variety of food while remaining within your calorie limit. When I started here one of the decisions I made was to eat only foods I liked. There was no way I was wasting calories on foods I didn't like.

Go visit grocery stores and markets and find out what's available.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

Yeah I know but its a change from the same old, I can eat pretty much anything, not a fussy guy however there is a difference between enjoying something and just eating it. All week I "just eat" Not a big lover of brown rice etc.

Then why not eat foods you like every day, in moderation and with proper planning? I'm a firm believer that weight loss should look as close to weight maintenance as possible, to give you the habits you need to keep the weight off. Are you going to spend 6/7ths of your life eating food you don't like?

Ha ha, My diet finishes end of this month, that will be 6 months of eating stuff I don't like :)
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    As the others have mentioned ... eat a variety of food while remaining within your calorie limit. When I started here one of the decisions I made was to eat only foods I liked. There was no way I was wasting calories on foods I didn't like.

Go visit grocery stores and markets and find out what's available.

Its all to do with food volume, 60grams of brown rice would give you and fill you a hell of a lot more than say 60 grams of potatoes. I go for volume every time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Then eat something you are a big lover of. Or just try something new. Look up a recipe. Go to the market and buy something you've *never* had (a different protein or veg or fruit or grain, or the latest convenience food if you tend to like the taste of them. Or if it's in your budget, go to a new restaurant and try something you've never had. (Just be aware that if you go crazy on a cheat meal, it's not too hard to wipe out one or two days' worth of deficits, especially at a restaurant where the servings are huge and they're extremely generous with cooking fats, sauces, and cheese.)

Personally, if I was not a big lover of brown rice, etc., I would not be eating it every day.

ETA missing *never*
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have this issue, Saturday I have my cheat meal, the issue is I can never think of anything I fancy. I live on brown rice, chicken, turkey, salad etc all week so I look forward to a change from the same old same old, but when it comes to it as I say I can never decided, last week I just gave up wrecking my head about it and missed dinner altogether and it seems to be going the same way this week.

I don't do cheat meals. I eat food I like every single day and plan every day.
    Once a week for lunch I do have a meal out with my family. They usually have an idea of where they want to go. I often take the opportunity to get a beef dish because I'm not eating it much at home.
    I post recipes and my monthly meal plan on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/
    I find lots of food ideas on pinterest or food blogs. Maybe you would be inspired if you looked around more.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.skinnytaste.com
    http://www.allrecipes.com
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
    http://www.saveur.com
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »

Then why not eat foods you like every day, in moderation and with proper planning? I'm a firm believer that weight loss should look as close to weight maintenance as possible, to give you the habits you need to keep the weight off. Are you going to spend 6/7ths of your life eating food you don't like?

Ha ha, My diet finishes end of this month, that will be 6 months of eating stuff I don't like :)

Then what happens?

Hadn't thought that far ahead to be honest. I guess I continue with my brown rice :( Its not to bad I guess with some mixed peppers through it, perhaps a bit of some kind of sauce over it.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Well the cheat meal was????? Drum Roll please.... Chips/Fries and a 2 beef sausages from a take away.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    @SueSueDio I would like to mention that your profile pic is the greatest thing ever.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Hadn't thought that far ahead to be honest. I guess I continue with my brown rice :( Its not to bad I guess with some mixed peppers through it, perhaps a bit of some kind of sauce over it.

You might want to start thinking about that. I would be a sad life to have to continue eating food you don't really like in order to maintain your weight loss.

I'm with MissusMoon - I eat food I like, within reason. I had half a pizza and two slices of garlic bread last night, along with "a serving" of Maltesers, and still came in under my goal. I expected my weight to be up a little this morning from the sodium, but was down 1.5lbs from yesterday.

You can make it work, if you really want to. Don't live life in some sort of miserable-sounding "eating what I have to even if I don't like it" way. Figure out a way to be able to eat food you DO like but still control your weight. :)

Yep, I had butter basted ribeye and two and a half glasses of wine last night. Down a pound this morning.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Well the cheat meal was????? Drum Roll please.... Chips/Fries and a 2 beef sausages from a take away.

Tasty. :) And how do you feel after that? Did you savour and enjoy it, or did you feel bad about it? I'm genuinely curious - does it make you feel bad or guilty when you call it a "cheat" meal?

It would have that effect on me, which is why I don't call anything cheating. For me, thinking of certain foods as "bad" or "off limits" would make me want them more and also make me feel terribly guilty for eating them, which might end up making me binge on them and then giving up the whole weight loss thing as "impossible". If I want something and I can fit it into my calories for the day, I eat it and enjoy it. If I can't make it fit, I save it for another day when I can - or, in some cases, I just accept I'm going to be over for that day and eat it anyway! It depends on what the food is, and the occasion. :)

MissusMoon wrote: »
    @SueSueDio I would like to mention that your profile pic is the greatest thing ever.

Why thank you - I thought so too! ;) I can't stand celery, and will pick it out of dishes if I can get away with it. The only purpose it has for existing, as far as I can tell, is to use as a scoop for something tasty when there are no spoons available!
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Tasty. :) And how do you feel after that? Did you savour and enjoy it, or did you feel bad about it? I'm genuinely curious - does it make you feel bad or guilty when you call it a "cheat" meal?

It would have that effect on me, which is why I don't call anything cheating. For me, thinking of certain foods as "bad" or "off limits" would make me want them more and also make me feel terribly guilty for eating them, which might end up making me binge on them and then giving up the whole weight loss thing as "impossible". If I want something and I can fit it into my calories for the day, I eat it and enjoy it. If I can't make it fit, I save it for another day when I can - or, in some cases, I just accept I'm going to be over for that day and eat it anyway! It depends on what the food is, and the occasion. :)

MissusMoon wrote: »

Why thank you - I thought so too! ;) I can't stand celery, and will pick it out of dishes if I can get away with it. The only purpose it has for existing, as far as I can tell, is to use as a scoop for something tasty when there are no spoons available!

It was OK, it looked nicer than it tasted you know. I don't feel bad after it as I still have 100 cals left for today and it made me hit my protein goals but it was a bit of a let down. Could of used them cals to scoff a couple of peanut butter cups :)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that my tastes have been changing a bit, and there are certain things now that I used to love which do feel like a bit of a let down when I have them. It's a feeling of "I used that many calories, for that?! What a waste!" If they were lower in calories it would probably be more enjoyable, but now they're just not worth it most of the time.

Chocolate - or at least, very dark chocolate - and bacon are always worth it! :)