Can never decide on a cheat meal I fancy??

2»

Replies

• chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Where are you from @Noel_57? That meal would definitely make me lose weight :wink: ... but I love hearing how different cultures indulge.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I'm finding that my tastes have been changing a bit, and there are certain things now that I used to love which do feel like a bit of a let down when I have them. It's a feeling of "I used that many calories, for that?! What a waste!" If they were lower in calories it would probably be more enjoyable, but now they're just not worth it most of the time.

Chocolate - or at least, very dark chocolate - and bacon are always worth it! :)

I used to love bacon but boy it had shocking amount of calories and unless you ate the packet wasn't filling so I ditched it and switched to turkey bacon, 2 slices has 57 cals, kind of hard to come across though.

Yes my tastes are also changing a bit like you, I used to love junk food, anything deep fat fried I was all over it which is why I ended up in the state I was in, but it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. Sure I still like the occasional portion of fries/chips but I can't even finish them now where as before I ate them, then ate the kids left overs then lick the wrapping :)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I'm finding that my tastes have been changing a bit, and there are certain things now that I used to love which do feel like a bit of a let down when I have them. It's a feeling of "I used that many calories, for that?! What a waste!" If they were lower in calories it would probably be more enjoyable, but now they're just not worth it most of the time.

Chocolate - or at least, very dark chocolate - and bacon are always worth it! :)

I used to love bacon but boy it had shocking amount of calories and unless you ate the packet wasn't filling so I ditched it and switched to turkey bacon, 2 slices has 57 cals, kind of hard to come across though.

Yes my tastes are also changing a bit like you, I used to love junk food, anything deep fat fried I was all over it which is why I ended up in the state I was in, but it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. Sure I still like the occasional portion of fries/chips but I can't even finish them now where as before I ate them, then ate the kids left overs then lick the wrapping :)

You're not saving much with turkey bacon... And... It's not bacon! I buy regular bacon and cook it in the microwave on paper towels. 2 slices comes out to 50 calories, 4g fat that way. Even if you pan fry it most of them are under 100 calories for 2 slices. Enjoy the bacon. Bacon is always worth it.
  • dave_in_ni
    edited June 2016

You're not saving much with turkey bacon... And... It's not bacon! I buy regular bacon and cook it in the microwave on paper towels. 2 slices comes out to 50 calories, 4g fat that way. Even if you pan fry it most of them are under 100 calories for 2 slices. Enjoy the bacon. Bacon is always worth it.

Yeah its not bacon, its some part of the turkey but its thicker than regular pork bacon and 1% fat but its the protein I was after 10g which can't be beat. I'm all over anything turkey related due to the protein content and low fat but I agree its hard to beat a piece of proper bacon, as for cooking I always grill, comes out nice and crispy then. I better stop talking bacon my mouth is watering.
  • melissa6771

Yeah its not bacon, its some part of the turkey but its thicker than regular pork bacon and 1% fat but its the protein I was after 10g which can't be beat. I'm all over anything turkey related due to the protein content and low fat but I agree its hard to beat a piece of proper bacon, as for cooking I always grill, comes out nice and crispy then. I better stop talking bacon my mouth is watering.

I Get 7 grams of protein with two slices of bacon for 50 calories/4 fat. I do it in the microwave because it cuts the fat and calories so much. And... Turns out I actually love it cooked this way. My other choice for cooking would be baking it. Comes out amazing.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Maybe just have the cheat meal when you feel like it...not specifically planned on a certain day weekly. If you don't feel like it....keep on truckin
  • EItadakimasu
    EItadakimasu Posts: 10 Member
    I think the hardest part for me is that I can't decide on just one thing!
    I'm going to take some advice here and stop worrying over my diet plan, no harm in mixing it up!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited June 2016
    I Get 7 grams of protein with two slices of bacon for 50 calories/4 fat. I do it in the microwave because it cuts the fat and calories so much. And... Turns out I actually love it cooked this way. My other choice for cooking would be baking it. Comes out amazing.

I might have to try it that way - I usually do mine in the oven and drain it afterwards, since I like it fairly crispy!

How do you figure out the calories? I was reading the "bacon isn't worth it" thread the other day and people were saying that the calories on the packaging are for uncooked slices and include all the fat, some of which cooks out and you're not eating it anyway. The brand I buy lists 160 cals for 2 slices, which is what I add to my diary - if I'm eating less than that I guess it gives me a buffer, but if I could have an extra slice for the same cals that would be awesome! ;)

Sorry for the slight derail, OP, but, y'know... BACON!!

ETA: I have tried turkey bacon, but I didn't really like it. Seems chewy to me, and I didn't much care for the taste either. I'll stick with the real thing!
  • melissa6771

I might have to try it that way - I usually do mine in the oven and drain it afterwards, since I like it fairly crispy!

How do you figure out the calories? I was reading the "bacon isn't worth it" thread the other day and people were saying that the calories on the packaging are for uncooked slices and include all the fat, some of which cooks out and you're not eating it anyway. The brand I buy lists 160 cals for 2 slices, which is what I add to my diary - if I'm eating less than that I guess it gives me a buffer, but if I could have an extra slice for the same cals that would be awesome! ;)

Sorry for the slight derail, OP, but, y'know... BACON!!

ETA: I have tried turkey bacon, but I didn't really like it. Seems chewy to me, and I didn't much care for the taste either. I'll stick with the real thing!

It seems that they've upped the calories in the bacon slices a little in the past few months. I think Oscar Mayer used to say 70 cal and now it says 90 for two slices. But from all the information I can find it cuts it by about 40 to 50%. I buy Oscar Mayer bacon, sometimes Kirkland brand from Costco or Hormel, and cook it until pretty crispy in the microwave in between paper towels. I always count it as 50 cal and 4 fat for two slices. I eat it three mornings per week and haven't had any problems as far as calories and weight loss.

Check this article out... http://www.livestrong.com/article/318946-the-calories-in-microwave-vs-pan-fried-bacon/
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Where are you from @Noel_57? That meal would definitely make me lose weight :wink: ... but I love hearing how different cultures indulge.
    In your culture they don't have humor? It was a joke. :/

Bitchy, huh? I can't read humor on here. I just figured it was a real thing.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member

That last sentence though!!!! Agreed! Lol

I myself don't do cheat meals per say. I've eliminated almost nothing from my diet. If I take away everything I love, I'll never be able to sustain that. The only thing I've completely eliminated is Mt Dew. I used to love that stuff!!! But when I decided to lose weight I stopped drinking it. I didn't want to waste precious calories on something that wasn't going to fill me up. But you know what? Ever since I stopped drinking it, my skin has cleared up soooo much!!! I don't think I'll ever go back to drinking it.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Perhaps you just need to go about this a different way. Plan meals that are really taste which you enjoy for every day and don't have cheat meals. I personally think they arent a good habit to have anyway. Save the cheat days for when you have an occassion where it's too difficult to avoid calories e.g. going to the pub, a friends birthday, a summer bbq etc.
  • dave_in_ni
    Perhaps you just need to go about this a different way. Plan meals that are really taste which you enjoy for every day and don't have cheat meals. I personally think they arent a good habit to have anyway. Save the cheat days for when you have an occassion where it's too difficult to avoid calories e.g. going to the pub, a friends birthday, a summer bbq etc.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Speaking of BBQ I was at one last weekend and I had never thought about it before but when trying to reduce calories BBQ's are extremely difficult. Anything pork related seems to be very fatty, burger buns again were a big no no. Burger patties themselves can be full of rubbish, In the end I took one chicken breast and a turkey burger I had brought along myself which wasn't very much fun
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Anyone else have this issue, Saturday I have my cheat meal, the issue is I can never think of anything I fancy. I live on brown rice, chicken, turkey, salad etc all week so I look forward to a change from the same old same old, but when it comes to it as I say I can never decided, last week I just gave up wrecking my head about it and missed dinner altogether and it seems to be going the same way this week.

No, I don't have cheat meals, as I eat a good variety of whatever food I like that fits my macros every day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Speaking of BBQ I was at one last weekend and I had never thought about it before but when trying to reduce calories BBQ's are extremely difficult. Anything pork related seems to be very fatty, burger buns again were a big no no. Burger patties themselves can be full of rubbish, In the end I took one chicken breast and a turkey burger I had brought along myself which wasn't very much fun

How many calories are you eating that you can't have a burger on a bun and a sausage??
  • dave_in_ni

How many calories are you eating that you can't have a burger on a bun and a sausage??

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Since your profile is private I can't tell how much weight you've lost and how much you have to go, but... Well, life's too short! Have the burger in a bun once in a while, and just enjoy it! Go easy on the fixings if you want, or maybe just have it on half a bun, if it bothers you that much. Unless you have medical issues that say otherwise, it's not going to kill you to go over your allowance now and then. Being inflexible kills the fun, though, as you discovered.

And if you say you're coming off your "diet" at the end of this month (and therefore should be increasing your calorie allowance from that absolute minimum), then definitely have one sometimes! :)