Protein bar as meal replacement

So I've hit my goal weight and have decided to transition into maintenance. It's taken me just about a year to drop almost 40lbs and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and time! Logging food, planning a day in advance and adding/deleting foods to make sure I hit my macros, packing lunches, weighing foods, exercising...has all taken it's toll on me. I've reaped the benefits but I'm ready to move on while maintaining. I was thinking of replacing my lunch during the work week with an Oh Yeah or Quest protein bar and a vegetable (carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas, etc) for three reasons...it would eliminate the need for me to pack my lunch the night before (saving me time), I could then walk for my entire 30 minute lunch block instead of just 15 minutes and I could eat a 'normal' dinner without having to cook myself replacement dishes or something entirely different. I would keep my breakfast the same and continue to exercise daily with a mix of HIIT workouts and weights. Does this sound like a good plan to maintain or would it not be healthy?

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    As long as that's enough food to hold you until dinner and you're maintaining whatever weight you've chosen, then yeah...go for it. Congratulations!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    It should be fine. The one thing I might caution is that after eating a regular breakfast, you might find yourself getting hungrier than a protein bar and a veg will handle. But, try it and see if you need to make any adjustments.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I see no problem from a nutrition standpoint. I don't think I'd like it myself, I'd get too hungry and struggle not to binge for dinner!
    But if you don't have that issue, then I say go for it!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I would say to try it for a few days, and see how hungry you are till dinner. If you find yourself unable to wait you can always make changes. Even maintanence is a lot of trial and error. For me, I never found that one Quest bar was filling enough for more than an hour and a half at best.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Whatever works for you, I know that it would never be enough for me though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    therrling wrote: »
    So I've hit my goal weight and have decided to transition into maintenance. It's taken me just about a year to drop almost 40lbs and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and time! Logging food, planning a day in advance and adding/deleting foods to make sure I hit my macros, packing lunches, weighing foods, exercising...has all taken it's toll on me. I've reaped the benefits but I'm ready to move on while maintaining. I was thinking of replacing my lunch during the work week with an Oh Yeah or Quest protein bar and a vegetable (carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas, etc) for three reasons...it would eliminate the need for me to pack my lunch the night before (saving me time), I could then walk for my entire 30 minute lunch block instead of just 15 minutes and I could eat a 'normal' dinner without having to cook myself replacement dishes or something entirely different. I would keep my breakfast the same and continue to exercise daily with a mix of HIIT workouts and weights. Does this sound like a good plan to maintain or would it not be healthy?

What does your normal breakfast consist of? For me, if it wasn't something filling, a Quest bar for lunch and a few veggies wouldn't cut it. ;)

Congrats on your weight loss! :)
  • ani_terzyan
    ani_terzyan Posts: 35 Member
    I lost about 20 lbs doing this for the same reasons you stated. There was no prep work which meant I always had a meal for lunch (now if I don't have time to prep lunch I'm forced to eat out). It also allowed me to walk during my break instead of wasting time eating. I was able to do this consistently for about 6 months. There were some days where I was starving by 3 and I would just have a snack or go grab a small meal to hold me over but those days were pretty rare. Good luck! Give it a try, if it doesn't work you can always try something else :smile:
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    For me, it wouldn't work. Would not be enough food and would also have me relying on something that isn't what I call "real food". If it does work for you, go for it. I use Quest protein bars all the time, but use them when I know I won't be able to get some healthy food, or will be busy and out and not able to stop to eat, or am away from home during my hunger times. I also pack them when going to something where there will be no food choices and I am pretty sure there will be nothing I would eat. I know that when I worked, I packed all of my lunches for the week ahead of time and kept them in the refrigerator. Since it was generally a FF yogurt, fruit, some veggies, etc., it all kept well and I just grabbed the bag before I left for work. I worked in an environment where everyone brought lunch, so no issue. Try what you have suggested and if not, try to find something that you can easily throw in a bag or cooler and take with you.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    I say go for it! Your reasoning is great as long as it keeps you full and isn't a setup for overeating at dinner.
  • darrensinclair27
    darrensinclair27 Posts: 1 Member
    Why not have a shake one day and a bar the following day.. include small amount of nuts aswell
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    I do something similar most days - lunch is fresh veggies and a protein bar. Lots of water. Sometimes I add something in the afternoon, but this is often enough to get me through until my huge yummy dinner. You might also mix up your routine with Combat Crunch bars (from Muscle Pharm - cookie dough is my fave). They are my new obsession, though I still like Quest bars, too.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I'd be too hungry by dinner time and probably end up overeating. But I eat a somewhat small breakfast so if you ate a larger breakfast it could work. I feel like there are a lot more filling options that could be prepped ahead of time!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Personally I couldn't do it. I have a quest bar for a snack, not a meal. But if it keeps you going til dinner there's no harm in it.
  • therrling
    therrling Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for all the advice/insight. I'm trying to find something that I can stick to long term, that fits into my lifestyle. This is day #2 of trying the vegetable and protein bar for lunch. So far, it hasn't been bad and I enjoyed my 500+ calorie dinner last night. I have the same thing for breakfast each morning...a bacon, egg and cheese English muffin (with extra egg white, 2% cheese, center cut bacon and 100 calorie English muffin) with strawberries or blackberries. My snacks for the day include greek yogurt with protein granola, a cheese stick and crackers, some almonds or cashews and some cucumber slices or something similar. My diary is open if anyone is interested in checking it out and offering advice. Kind of scary to increase my calories to maintenance and so far, I'm not eating back any exercise calories.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 416 Member
    looks like you are doing fantastic. I am also at maintenance. On the days that I work I eat a protein bar and some fruit (apple, strawberries, melon, etc. So easy to pack my lunch, it keeps without a refrigerator and I can also eat this while walking. It works great for me, hope it works for you.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I replace breakfast with them a lot. I have never been a big morning eater. For lunch only on occasions when I'm in a rush. I've found that an apple and a protein shake are my filling breakfast.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    therrling wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice/insight. I'm trying to find something that I can stick to long term, that fits into my lifestyle. This is day #2 of trying the vegetable and protein bar for lunch. So far, it hasn't been bad and I enjoyed my 500+ calorie dinner last night. I have the same thing for breakfast each morning...a bacon, egg and cheese English muffin (with extra egg white, 2% cheese, center cut bacon and 100 calorie English muffin) with strawberries or blackberries. My snacks for the day include greek yogurt with protein granola, a cheese stick and crackers, some almonds or cashews and some cucumber slices or something similar. My diary is open if anyone is interested in checking it out and offering advice. Kind of scary to increase my calories to maintenance and so far, I'm not eating back any exercise calories.

Nope, it isn't. And I don't believe you mentioned anything about snacks in your OP. That seems like it would make it at least a little easier to have a small lunch and not get hungry.
  • therrling
    therrling Posts: 8 Member
    Sorry, it was open to friends only. Just changed it to public :-)
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    I found that replacing a meal with a protien bar or shake is 100x easy when cutting. Now if I was bulking I wouldn't be in a deficit and that allows me to get more food obviously, but I still love my protien shake.

So, to answer the question there is nothing wrong with it, and for the people that think there is it would be hypocritical because this site preaches calories in and calories out as long as people hit certain macros/micros vitamins and minerals. Lots of bars and shakes have those so to me it's a win win.

Of course whole food is better, but whatever a person is doing to make himself/herself better has to work for them, everyone else can have an opinion but it's your own opinion that matters.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2016
    I would say if it works for you awesome. For me lunch is when I am super hungry I would be better doing a protein bar or shake for breakfast or dinner. In fact I just barely tried a quest bar for lunch and I couldn't do it I had to go get a sandwich! I think it's totally personal preference. Also FYI I haven't tried oh yeah bars but quest bars are good and they have the most protein for the least calories I have found. Some bars claim to be protein bars with like 5 g of protein. Not worth the calories for me.