Just started Lexapro for Anxiety...What's your experience with weight?

Options
Haught2015
Haught2015 Posts: 90 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just started Lexapro for mild general Anxiety. I have heard good and bad about it. I was wondering what experiences you have and did you gain or lose weight on it ?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You will only gain if you are in a calorie surplus. You will lose if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been on it twice, for about a year each time. It didn't seem to have any impact on my weight.
  • esweigart237
    esweigart237 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I experienced appetite loss for a month or so after starting Lexapro, losing about 5 pounds, but other than that I was fine.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was nauseas for the first few weeks, but other than that it has not affected my weight. I've been losing steadily.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You will only gain if you are in a calorie surplus. You will lose if you are in a calorie deficit.
    This. Medications don't cause weight gain, but they can increase appetite.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few years ago & didn't gain weight with it. It wasn't working for me tho, I'm on 450mg of Wellbutrin.
  • jennyleeaudus
    jennyleeaudus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anti anxiety meds does affect my appetite so I lost initially but then it became normal.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was on it a long time ago for a short time, but I don't really think it increased nor decreased my appetite. There was only one, Effexor, that increased my appetite.
  • ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It didn't have any affect on my appetite or weight when I started it.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Just started Lexapro for mild general Anxiety. I have heard good and bad about it. I was wondering what experiences you have and did you gain or lose weight on it ?

Hi,

Ssri's affect people differently, Ssri's have always tended to have a weight gain impact personally.

I take an snri instead for the my anxiety currently.
  • Haught2015
    Haught2015 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone :)