What is your go to workout/exercise?

Options

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Walk, zumba, Jillian Michaels videos and other vids. Elliptical, stationary bike, hiking, biking, lifting weights, dumbbells, machines at the gym. Swimming. Anything is better than doing nothing. YOU WILL GET BETTER AT IT.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    When I started I decided to look at my life and have a look at where I could fit in some easy excersise as I was not fit but wanted to get fitter. I did not want to join a gym and felt no need until recently

I started with simply walking. I extended my time walking, it helped I had a goal as my work is 4.5 km from home. I started with just once a week walking there and back. I also started walking to the store for small things I needed to buy. These days (3 years later) 15km I consider a nice afternoon stroll and I walk to work 4 days a week. Our preferred holidays now are long distance walkways. (Which we won't be able to do this year, but that is a different story)

We cycle a lot here and I took that further and more often and further. Upping slowly over time. I love taking the bike on a nice day and do a 30-40km roundtrip, takes about 1.5 to 2 hours only.
    I already did yoga (once a week an hour) and started doing some moring stretches, both to wake up and to get the energy flowing. About a year go I added resistance training and found I loved working with free weights.
    I now have a gym membership and love it. I joined just 3 months ago and when I felt I needed to get further in my excersise. I now do the you tube videos as well and some are harder than others.

If those home videos are your preferred way to do it make sure you watch them before you join in to see if they will fit you and stick intitially to the beginners. You will increase your strength over time and as you gain fitness you will be able to do many of them.
  • Stripeymitten
    Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking outside for 30 mins to start with, building up to 60 mins. My go-to exercise though is rebounding (on the mini trampoline) so I began that as soon as I was within the weight limit for the rebounder. Paul Eugene's 30 min mini trampoline workout on YouTube is my first choice all the time (would be swimming but don't have my own pool!) and now I can do all the moves and will do the workout two or three times back to back. He has some others on his blog but the YouTube one is best.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Trampoline exercise has its ups and downs.
  • solway190
    solway190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Run, swim & cycle. Run to the pool, cycle to the pool or cycle to the run. Start short, slow and easy, now I go the long way round to everything.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. Just walking a little, like 3km here and there. I ended up walking 10-12km several times a week. I then moved on to some basic home workouts from YouTube (like Jessica Smith) and running. I now can run 7-8km (still with a bit of walking) and can do higher intensity workouts like Insanity and other HIIT without any issues/modifying.

Basically, over time you'll just gradually "get there". If you prefer the home workouts, follow the modifier and if you need a break, take one anytime! The benefit of home workouts is you can pause whenever you feel like it! Stick to a single workout for a couple of weeks and then decide whether it's working for you. The first week is usually the hardest.

Good luck to you! :)

• Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Initially I began C25k, got to week 4 and then my friend convinced me to go to a gym class with her (yoga). Basically I refused to join a gym to do classes before as I didn't want to be seen as the 'unfit' one that can't do any of the moves.

After I stepped foot in the gym for that first class, I realised that no one honestly cares what you do in the class, as they are focusing on themselves.

I signed up to a membership that day. Over the next few weeks I tried a load of different classes so I could figure out what I liked and didn't.

Now, around three and a half months later, I go 5-6 days a week, completing 11 classes. I do a range; Body Conditioning (pump), Bokwa, Pilates, Spin, Upper Body/Abs, Cardio Aerobics and Barre.

I don't really like HIIT or Bookcamp, so I don't go. You just need to find something you enjoy.

I'm not a runner by nature, so finding the gym and ditching C25k was the best thing I ever did.
  • carmexaldewin87
    carmexaldewin87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love YouTube for fitness videos and absolutely love JessicaSmithTV. She has a large variety of exercise videos and in most of them, her dog, Peanut is there. I find I laugh doing them and it makes it more enjoyable. She's very encouraging and her moves are easily modified if need be.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use an app called C25K (Couch to 5k). It's not something you can do at home unless you have a treadmill, but you don't need to go to the gym. It basically trains you for a 5k over the course of 8 weeks (3 days/week, and no longer than 40 minutes a day). I feel like it's a good starting point and motivated me to jog/walk :smile:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When I first started out all I could do is walk. 1/4 of a mile was a real challenge. But I kept going...

Soon I was able to do 1 mile without stopping, then 2 miles etc., I then discovered Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. Those workouts helped to build my endurance and stamina even more. Before I knew it I could do 5 miles in one shot and I wasn't sore or tired.

Fast forward 4 years later I am now fast walking daily getting up to 8+ miles with ease and 2 - 3 miles of light walking on an active rest day.

Now I am in excellent shape and can do more so I also love to lift, plyometrics and bodyweight exercises and I'm not into dancing or boot camp type workouts.

Also I only workout at home or outside. I lost 80 pounds and have been maintaining my weight for over 3 years without a gym membership. I use a lot of Beachbody workouts and workouts on Youtube (Jessica Smith, Fitness Blender etc.)

Take baby steps, build up to it and work for it. Everyday. It will be tough at first, but your body will adapt as you continue to challenge it!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Of course you're going to be out of breath if you're unfit. You'll get better with time.

In the beginning, even though I was "only" 152 lbs, I was getting overuse injury on my foot just from walking 7 miles due to having been a couch potato. So I stopped walking and started doing only elliptical and spinning at the gym for zero impact/stress on my foot. I would put very high resistance on the elliptical and do standing climbs on the spin bike, both very effective workouts coz I started shrinking pretty fast.

I only started walking and jogging again after over 6 months. Nowadays, after I quit the gym, I mostly do hiking, trail running, cycling, a bit of bodyweight exercises and I'm down to 117 lbs.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Walking at first, and it soon became one of my favourite activities. I'd listen to audiobooks (usually fantasy genre), music or BBC Radio iPlayer dramas (usually horror) and the time flies by. I get off the train a stop earlier and walk home 5k daily and added a long Sunday walk of 16k. Walking is the best.

Nowadays I do what seems to be known as 'fitness walking' which combines jogging, almost like a C25K programme. It's really amazing, me and my wife go for a 80 -100 mins walk/jog and burn 700kcal. It's actually enjoyable and something we look forward to. There's nothing like getting back home and pouring over the data (we use the Mapmyrun app which syncs with MFP). My wife has a Polar HR band and can see how many mins she was in each HR zone. The technology these days is amazing, smartphones have transformed our fitness levels.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    when i started, walking, definitely. my first walk was ten minutes. i walked every day gradually increasing my time out until i was regularly doing an hour, then started increasing my speed, adding hills, etc. my goal was always to push a little harder, in some way, every day. these days? i lift three times a week and do a combination of high intensity cardio and long walks (five or more miles) three to five times a week. also... get a heart rate monitor and learn use it. the hrm will help you track how hard you are working and the progress you are making. you can do this!
  • inayat301
    inayat301 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My dinner is heavy then lunch. mostly I don't take breakfast. But still I am overweight by 30 Kg (66 Lbs).

From last one week, I have started walking for 15 Mins after taking dinner and planning to gradually increase to 1 Hour.

Advice is much appreciated regarding how to lose weight.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My go to workout is running. When I started, I got out of breath really easy and couldn't run very fast. I just found a speed I could stick at and I eventually improved my distance. The speed came later on.
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing. All this information is going to help a great deal. Wonderful community this is. Again, thank you for the awesome support
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    inayat301 wrote: »

From last one week, I have started walking for 15 Mins after taking dinner and planning to gradually increase to 1 Hour.

Advice is much appreciated regarding how to lose weight.

Seems like you are headed into the right direction. Keep at it :)
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Walking. When I started, I could barely manage 3 miles a day. On average, I now walk between six to eight miles each day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    When I first stared at 260lbs, I did the 30 day shred. It was hard, but I felt elated when I finished. That DVD was a door opener to fitness for me.

Now, I do a combo of strongcurves, DDP yoga/YRG (I am about as flexible as a tree stump), and c25k with a little kickboxing here and there if I feel like blowing off some steam. ;)
    Trampoline exercise has its ups and downs.
    Nice.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I run every other day, bicycle 2-4 days a week (more when I'm bike commuting), do a few hikes every month, and force myself to do some basic strength training 2-3 times a week.

But I built up to that gradually. I walked a lot, hiked occasionally, and bicycled from time to time when I was at my heaviest. From 2008 to the present, I got more serious about cycling, and gradually went from occasional 10-20 mile rides to regularly cycling 50-100 miles a week, longer some weeks. In 2014, after I had lost a lot of weight, I took up running again, with the Couch to 5K program, and cut back a little on my cycling.

The human body can adapt amazingly, as long as you keep two basic principles in mind:

1. To improve fitness, you need to stress your body a little bit more than it's used to. If you can easily walk 2 miles, try 2.5 next time.

2. But the improvement comes not from the stress itself but from recovery, which means alternating hard and easy days. That's especially important with high-impact activities like running, and with strength training, but it's a good general principle to keep in mind. If you always train hard, you'll just feel exhausted.