How can I build lean muscle without going to the gym???

I have been dieting for two years and only lost 2 stone. My muscle tone is very poor and I keep reading that to build lean muscle increases metabolism and so will give me some weight loss. However, I don't want to join a gym. I went on youtube and there is so much there I don't know where to start. Tried to do some simple floor exercises to tone inside of my thighs and it killed me. Although I haven't been as disciplined of late I generally walk or cycle (mainly cycle) - Saturday and Sunday I cycle 23k in around 2 hours and in the week when I can work permitting cycle around 14k two or three times in around 40 minutes.
Can anyone suggest how I can introduce some exercises I can do at home that can start to tone/build my muscle. Oh, and if its too hard I tend to give up easily!!

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Why don't you want to join a gym?
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    There are several at home workout devices ranging from door hangers to personal gyms. If you can't afford a personal gym or door hanger you could always buy a set of dumbbells; the lower the weight the less expensive they are; when working with free weights form is almost everything, so it's not too bad of a starting point. You just need someone who can guide you through correct form and posture, or you need to develop that type of mentality on your own.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    If you've got room at home you could always purchase your own weights, bench press, squat rack, etc. But if not and you want to build muscle, you'll need to join a gym to lift weights. Body weight exercises at home can only do so much, and not nearly as much as you seem to desire.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Try fitnessblender's strength training, all you need is some dumbells.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Just join a gym, I guarantee no one will pay any attention to you. If you go there with a get it done mind set people will respect you. You cannot tone any specific area so don't even bother trying, also If you're already in a calorie deficit your muscle gains will be next to none. That's why any of us out there trying to build muscle do bulk and cut cycles several times throughout the year.

Just remember, if it was easy everyone would do it. If it's hard it means you're pushing yourself and you should be proud of yourself.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    First, get out of the mindset of trying to focus on a certain areas. Full body strength is what you need.

Second, it's going to be hard. It's really about two things, priorities and commitment. You simply have to make it a priority in your life. Do you think people get in shape by just kind of doing it when they feel like it? Or when it's easy? Or when it's convenient? No. They go to the gym before the funeral, before work, on their wedding day. It is a priority for them and nothing gets in the way. Once you prioritize it in your life, it's easy because everyone has time. Every human in this world has time. There are often times I don't want to go, but I just go. Once I'm there, I do what I need to do. It's not motivation, but rather commitment.

I've been working out consistently since 2009. That's when I really got started. I started out walking everyday. Then, after a while, I decided to add a jog in with the walk. The jogs got longer. Eventually, I ran a half marathon. After that, I decided to buy P90X. I went through that program about 3 times. I finally joined a gym, starting with powerlifting. I've tried all kinds of different programs.

It doesn't matter what you decide to do, just do something. Commit to do it at least 4 days a week. And stick with it. Over time, you will find so many benefits that you won't be able to stop. And the benefits are way more than just losing weight. You just feel good.

I really like this. :smile:
  • britebloomz
    britebloomz Posts: 18 Member
    If you have absolutely no equipment and don't want to invest in any and are completely new to resistance training, get the book by Mark Lauren, Body by You. The physical book not digital. Lots of pictures and detailed progression chart. If you are willing to invest in equipment then, Bret Contreras' physical book, Strong Curves. It has both bodyweight and lifting programs and lots of great information and pictures. With either program you still need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight but the results are worth it. Good luck!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    OODone wrote: »

I can't bring myself to pay for a gym membership. It just costs way to much.

Sorry but that's bull. Most women's only fitness centres will give you memberships from $12-25 a month if you sign up for a year.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    OODone wrote: »

I can't bring myself to pay for a gym membership. It just costs way to much.

Agree with @jessef593. Don't know where you are located, but gym memberships can be had for $10-20 a month. In some cases a place like the YMCA/YWCA will give discounted memberships based on income.

A monthly gym membership is often less than the cost of a Starbucks drink a day for for week.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    I would say joining a gym is good, if you can't then bodyweight exercises are good.
  • kas_chat
    kas_chat Posts: 13 Member
    Does eating protein help women to gradually restore, maintain then add muscle ? maybe in the form of protein shakes or actual meat... while dropping insulin load from glucose filled root/tuber vegetables and fructose filled fruits... I am focusing on eating nuts, butter, eggs, cheese, good well cooked fresh meat including some marine protein for omega 3, as well as various coloured vegetables that grow above ground... I also have been considering paying for a gym membership, if i joined up for a 12 month direct debit I could possibly find one where the fortnightly fee is around $25 (Australia) but for me is not a priority at the moment. I will spend this on my kids to go to Muay Thai classes, or replacing sneakers every 6 - 12 months or better quality food. I do squats, chair based exercises, some planking and stair climbing in my local parks and gardens, with some use of resistance bands, and hand weights, gradually seeing improvement. I would like to add in some weight bearing exercises, but have some bursitis and inflammation to deal with first (another cost I need to budget for is seeing a physiotherapist every few months).