Slimfaster's

Replies

• lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Of course you can post if you do Slimfast, Shakeology, the Cabbage Soup Diet or whatever plan you want.

But remember that MFP is a calorie counting site. So most people here are...wait for it...counting calories.

If I went on a Slimfast website and talked about how I thought eating all foods in moderation and not drinking my calories was the way to go, I wouldn't expect a favorable response.

I understand people on here are using calorie controlled diet to loose weight - Slimfast is also a calorie controlled diet the only difference as I can see is I have a shake or usually a bar in replacement. The calories I usually have in either a shake or a bar are 210-230 cals I think I could weigh cereal and try that thank you il give that a go. But what lunch suggestion could I have " real food" 210-230 cals ? Two slices of bread are around 200 cals without any filling? I'm struggling with that hence why I personally find it easier to make up a shake or have a bar. I'm not on here to create any arguments or even asking for opinions originally - I really did/do want to meet others that are following a similar diet to me for support
  • FionaPlum
    FionaPlum Posts: 37 Member
    I didn't realise you had to count 1200 or more calories a day to be classified as a calorie counter?!

On SF men count 1100 of their days calories and women do 900. I guess the deficit must make slimfasters lower on the calorie counting food chain somehow?
    Of course you can post if you do Slimfast, Shakeology, the Cabbage Soup Diet or whatever plan you want.

But remember that MFP is a calorie counting site. So most people here are...wait for it...counting calories.

If I went on a Slimfast website and talked about how I thought eating all foods in moderation and not drinking my calories was the way to go, I wouldn't expect a favorable response.

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Those shakes are delicious when popped in the freezer. I used the shakes and counted calories a few years ago when I was attempting to eat better. I don't use it now but you can feel free to add me for support! :smile:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    FionaPlum wrote: »
    I didn't realise you had to count 1200 or more calories a day to be classified as a calorie counter?!

On SF men count 1100 of their days calories and women do 900. I guess the deficit must make slimfasters lower on the calorie counting food chain somehow?

Wut?
  • lauraemily84
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    Those shakes are delicious when popped in the freezer. I used the shakes and counted calories a few years ago when I was attempting to eat better. I don't use it now but you can feel free to add me for support! :smile:

Brilliant idea thank you - il try that x
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

1200 is the lowest level MFP allows. It's the lowest amount you can set your goal to, and if you try to click "Done" in your diary before you've eaten 1200 calories, you will get a warning. 1200 is regarded as the minimum to get in necessary nutrition. It's not about apartheid, it's about safety.
  • lauraemily84
    Any of you that are doing Slimfast or similar - there's a great support page on Facebook - Slimfast challenge it's a closed group so your other friends on fb won't be able to read your posts x
  • FionaPlum
    I was just referring to the fact that poster doesn't think 900 calories or 1100 calories is valid calorie counting. The two shakes amount to 400 on top so on MFP it comes up to 1300 and 1500 in total.

Actual food is being counted.

1200 is the lowest level MFP allows. It's the lowest amount you can set your goal to, and if you try to click "Done" in your diary before you've eaten 1200 calories, you will get a warning. 1200 is regarded as the minimum to get in necessary nutrition. It's not about apartheid, it's about safety.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

the bolded.
    And 900 for a woman and 1100 for men is incredibly low. How does one even begin to get the proper nutrition (macros and micros)?

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member

I understand people on here are using calorie controlled diet to loose weight - Slimfast is also a calorie controlled diet the only difference as I can see is I have a shake or usually a bar in replacement. The calories I usually have in either a shake or a bar are 210-230 cals I think I could weigh cereal and try that thank you il give that a go. But what lunch suggestion could I have " real food" 210-230 cals ? Two slices of bread are around 200 cals without any filling? I'm struggling with that hence why I personally find it easier to make up a shake or have a bar. I'm not on here to create any arguments or even asking for opinions originally - I really did/do want to meet others that are following a similar diet to me for support

My typical lunch is something like a half cup of full fat cottage cheese (110 cal), a serving of canned peaches (50 calories) and then 5 grams of wheat bran mixed into the cottage cheese for my dietary supplement (17 calories). So 177 calories total. Believe me when I say that lasts me for a while.

If you want more protein, mix in a can of tuna (90 calories) and cut the cottage cheese in half for a total of 212 calories for everything.

• lauraemily84

the bolded.
    And 900 for a woman and 1100 for men is incredibly low. How does one even begin to get the proper nutrition (macros and micros)?

Hi - just to let you know that's " actual food calories" you also have two shakes or meal bars/ food pots which are 210-230 cals each so it's about 1320-1360 cals for a woman's day
  • FionaPlum
    Thanks, forgot it wasn't exactly 200 for shakes more like 209-230 each.

So men in total get 1560 calories. Women 1360.

Actual calorie counting of 'food' per day is 900 for women, 1100 for men.

[/quote]

Hi - just to let you know that's " actual food calories" you also have two shakes or meal bars/ food pots which are 210-230 cals each so it's about 1320-1360 cals for a woman's day [/quote]

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited June 2016

Where did I say that you had to consume a certain number of calories to be classified as a calorie counter? Oh, right. I didn't.

I didn't realize that Slimfast gave you a calorie allotment. In my day, (when I was young...the 80s) it didn't. It was just a shake for breakfast and lunch and a sensible dinner, without telling you what that meant.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    The main issues with "diet shake plans" is that most people who use them eventually get bored/sick of them and miss foods they liked for breakfast or lunch but stopped having.

Even if you stick with it long enough to lose the weight, once you're done and you cut back or stop using the shakes, you now need to know how to eat appropriately for breakfast and lunch. Most people go back to eating the way they used to and gain the weight back. I have seen so many women I know use one shake or another as a "diet", lose 10 or 15 lbs, and then decide they are done dieting, go back to how they used to eat because they didn't learn anything, and gain the weight back.

My opinion is the best way to get down to a healthy weight and keep it off is not to go on "a diet". Instead take the time to learn how to eat the foods you love in the correct portions and learn to love new foods all in combination so that you eat the right amount of calories to stay at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Otherwise you just keep yo-yoing until you finally give up for good, like so many people do.

People aren't being unsupportive, they just don't want you to waste time on something we all wasted time doing ourselves, when you can start right now on adopting a new lifestyle rather than going on a diet. People can be a little, ummm, blunt on the internet, but the motives are good. Best of luck with whatever path you choose to reach your goals :drinker:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

the bolded.

Hi - just to let you know that's " actual food calories" you also have two shakes or meal bars/ food pots which are 210-230 cals each so it's about 1320-1360 cals for a woman's day

Oh, okay. That's a little better, I suppose! I thought it was shakes plus food with that many calories.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Looking thru this thread I have noticed one thing. We are all individuals and have different points of view, on shakes vs. food. I think that is awesome. Every option is just that, their views and for that it should be honored not ridiculed. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Good luck in your journey's whatever they might be!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I couldn't afford to be on a slimfast diet ;)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    IMO, if a product existed to help people effortlessly lose weight and keep it off, the industry would be bankrupt and we'd all be thin.

Slimfast isn't a product invented to solve the obesity epidemic. It's a business, relying on yo-yo dieters to keep coming back for their expensive "food".

I have zero issues with drinking calories if that's your thing. I guess if it were me, I'd make my OWN shakes/smoothies and be done with it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    MissusMoon's "Pizza, Ice Cream, Steak and Wine Diet" book now available at Amazon. Credit Card only. :#

Nope. Just CICO logged faithfully here at MFP along with exercise.