Scared of failing.. again

Options
I looked in the mirror today and noticed my face looked smaller.. but instead of feeling happy, I had a straight up anxiety attack. Anxiety that this isn't going to last.. Anxiety that yet again I'll *kitten* up and go back to my old ways. This on and off going cycle of weight loss and gaining madness has been apart of my life for as long as I can remember.. Who would I even be when I'm smaller? I hope the binger in me can stay away so I can figure it out.. Random chatter on a Friday night :-)

Replies

• sandi_s
    sandi_s Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am always scared of failing again
  • heidimathteacher
    heidimathteacher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Remember that your value as a person has nothing to do with your weight and has nothing to do with your feelings of failure. A good friend reminds me of this frequently! Would you be someone different if you were smaller?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fear of failure can be a great motivator. Use it and slowly work on turning it into a drive to succeed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You will be you when you're smaller. Don't worry about being someone else. MFP is a learning tool, and when you learn to live as a person of less weight, it's just who you are.
  • nadinehof
    nadinehof Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CynthiaC88...Thank you for your honesty! I too have a fear of success in many areas of my personal and professional life. I discussed this with a friend and she suggested doing something new each day. Like eat 3 carrots at night and do 10 sit-ups at night...and document the small changes which start to be habit forming. Today I am going to start with this app and realize that it is one factor to my success. It's worked before so 'I'll just keep swimming'
  • x0lcbaby0x
    x0lcbaby0x Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    CynthiaC88 wrote: »
    I looked in the mirror today and noticed my face looked smaller.. but instead of feeling happy, I had a straight up anxiety attack. Anxiety that this isn't going to last.. Anxiety that yet again I'll *kitten* up and go back to my old ways. This on and off going cycle of weight loss and gaining madness has been apart of my life for as long as I can remember.. Who would I even be when I'm smaller? I hope the binger in me can stay away so I can figure it out.. Random chatter on a Friday night :-)

We can get through this together! Add me if you want!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think this is something we all experience the fear of going back to where we were.
    What you have to do is find a personal why. Something totally selfish it can't be for the significant other it can't be for the kids it has to be for you. Once you find out why this becomes a piece of cake.

As far as who you become once you lose all the weight you'll decide that yourself. Personally I'll always see the fat man in the mirror even though everybody else tells me I look good now. What you have to realize is that you have to change your attitude about who you are. The hardest thing about life is learning to love ourselves in spite of our faults. Realize that you're worth it
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you give up completely then perhaps you've failed but not till then. A little soul searching in regards to why you need to achieve this goal might help you stick to it for life. Stay strong
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing anyone to help with the anxiety?
  • ddgx300
    ddgx300 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel bad myself sometimes. I up and down a lot I like to eat. When I get sad I eat, when I get mad I eat, if I get happy you guessed it I eat. There are only two things that keep me from eating, 1 keeps a smile on my wifes face, and the other is playing music which I can't do constantly. The only advice is something I learned when I played football. You only fail, when you quit. No matter what win or lose, you get up and keep coming back. Stay with it its a journey I guess not a destination or some other cliché lol Good luck